Pap smears and other gynaecological concerns

Iamala

I was wondering the other day about how old you had to be before they began calling you for smear tests- because it's something I've been dreading and I know on me at least would hurt like hell. Luckily it's not really terribly urgent for sexually inactive women- but it got me thinking as to whether my asexuality would bring up any other odd moments like this.

They already ask about three times if you could be pregnant when I get a jab even when I say 'no way' - so I guess I'm more curious as to whether anyone has ever had any awkward/humorous moments involving medical staff and asexuality?

This is one aspect of my life where I feel fortunate to be male, and a rather boring male at that -- other than the fact I'm a lazy fatass and have a history of diabetes in the family, I'm a real boring case for doctors. If anything is considered even a remotely risky behavior, chances are I haven't been interested in it and don't partake in it. Drugs, alcohol, sex, you name it.

I'm 26, and although the topic's been brought up in the past, they've just started to bug me about it hardcore (letter in the mail, trying to reach me at my parents' phone number). If you don't want it, they can't force anything on you. I'm choosing not to have mine, because I'm low risk. No family history, not sexually active, etc., and there's a pretty high false positive rate that leads to painful biopsies. I haven't gone into detail about my orientation with my doctor; he starts every visit with: "Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, sex?," I say no, and we move on. It's really the female employees (nurses, physicians assistants, whatever) who have an attitude problem when it comes to my refusal to get a smear.

I think it varies and it is, of course, a personal choice. In my humble opinion though, I definitively think being asexual doesn't mean you shouldn't get smear tests. Cancer doesn't care if you're sexually active or not, by force or by choice.

cleuchtturm

Regarding your awkward/humorous "question" (request?) I have one, sorta. I was in the hospital having a really bad allergic reaction. I started shaking, and the docs wanted to do a brain scan to make sure I wasn't having a seizure. They had to do a pee test to make sure I wasn't pregnant, and when I heard it, I knew I would only puke more if made to force out urine, so I shouted, "BUT I'M STILL A VIRGIN!". Someone asked me to repeat what I said (because you know, the whole hospital hadn't heard me yet) and in my delirium I said it even louder. Then the male nurse turns to me and says "I believe it". Gee thanks...

Not exactly an ace story, but there ya go. :blush:

Regarding your awkward/humorous "question" (request?) I have one, sorta. I was in the hospital having a really bad allergic reaction. I started shaking, and the docs wanted to do a brain scan to make sure I wasn't having a seizure. They had to do a pee test to make sure I wasn't pregnant, and when I heard it, I knew I would only puke more if made to force out urine, so I shouted, "BUT I'M STILL A VIRGIN!". Someone asked me to repeat what I said (because you know, the whole hospital hadn't heard me yet) and in my delirium I said it even louder. Then the male nurse turns to me and says "I believe it". Gee thanks...

kinda off topic, but what were you allergic to? I have been having these allergic reactions that are seemingly random and my eyes water real bad, my throat tickles and I get violently nauseous and it takes considerable willpower to keep from throwing up and is quickly relieved by a guzzle of children's liquid benadryl. Also if you are prone to crazy allergies like what you described, keep children's liquid benadryl nearby. One capfull is the adult dosage. The liquid works nearly as fast as an epi injection.

as to the question by the OP, If you are not sexually active, pap smears hurt...you are better off requesting a vaginal ultrasound than a pap smear if you must have one. A vaginal ultrasound is a thin wand they stick up there with an ultrasound device on the end, they use lubercation with it and it is far less painful...it can actually pick up alot more than a pap smear anyway. A pap smear is done with the doctor's hand and can be quite painful for someone who is not stretched out from having sex often.

However, I do recomend getting checked out if your periods are very heavy and painful, or very irregular or if you have a family history of cancer. Without a family history of cancer and no period problems then there is no need, in my opinion, in getting one until you are at least 30 if you are not sexually active. Middle age and on, women can develop uterine fibroid tumors, and poly-cystic ovarian disease and things like that as well as cancers of the sex organs.

Jojo

I come from the Czech republic and we don´t have any "you have to come when you´re xy years old" rule. I´ve never been to gyneacologist and I will not go there until it will be necessary (obvious problems in "that area").

I mean, people don´t go 2X every year for colonoscopy to make sure they don´t have intestines cance, or to lungs X-ray...etc. Why the Hell should female genitals be considered as something so special which has to be controlled all the time?

cleuchtturm

kinda off topic, but what were you allergic to? I have been having these allergic reactions that are seemingly random and my eyes water real bad, my throat tickles and I get violently nauseous and it takes considerable willpower to keep from throwing up and is quickly relieved by a guzzle of children's liquid benadryl. Also if you are prone to crazy allergies like what you described, keep children's liquid benadryl nearby. One capfull is the adult dosage. The liquid works nearly as fast as an epi injection.

Milk, soy, eggs, dustmites, strawberries, pet dander, peaches, penicillin. I just puke like a fire hydrant and can't stand for a few days. I got some hives last time and shock, as I described. Nothing works to stop it. The doctors gave me tons and tons of meds to stop the vomiting, but it didn't work. I've had these reactions all my life, and nothing stops them except letting them do their thing.

I think it varies and it is, of course, a personal choice. In my humble opinion though, I definitively think being asexual doesn't mean you shouldn't get smear tests. Cancer doesn't care if you're sexually active or not, by force or by choice.

This this THIS!!!

Here's the National Cancer Institute's page on it: Here

They've even recently changed how often they recommend you get the test. It's now starting at age 21 once every three years.

balletomane

I turned twenty-five in March and I've had two letters about it now, plus an information leaflet. It says in the FAQ in the leaflet that the risk of cervical cancer for sexually inactive women is 'very low', but it doesn't say if this means it's safe to forgo the test or not.

I'm autistic and I hate being touched by strangers. I would need to take sedatives before such a test, and I'm not going to put myself through it unless it's necessary. I'm going to speak to the doctor and check.

Janus the Fox

Ahh... doctors... great conversations.

I'm asexual

No your not asexual, everything works

Yes I know, I'm still asexual

But is is functioning normally and better it has ever had been in years/

No in the mind...

Oh... you cant get aroused...

*Face-palm*

It's never come up during any of my doctor's visits, although I do get some surprised looks and occasional further questioning when I say I'm a virgin. I'm turning 21 soon, though, so they may start pressuring me to get a pap smear. I absolutely have to be on birth control for medical reasons. If they try to withhold my medication or give me a hard time about me making personal decisions about my own body, I plan to call around until I find someone who will prescribe it without hassling me.

On a side note, I absolutely loathe going to the ER. Every time I've been they always insist on checking to see if I'm pregnant even when I tell them that it's not possible.

My doctor told me it wasn't important for me to get one since I've never had sex. If you have had sex, it might be a good idea whether or not you're sexually active now. But since the virus is sexually transmitted, there's really no reason to worry about it if you're a virgin.

Milk, soy, eggs, dustmites, strawberries, pet dander, peaches, penicillin. I just puke like a fire hydrant and can't stand for a few days. I got some hives last time and shock, as I described. Nothing works to stop it. The doctors gave me tons and tons of meds to stop the vomiting, but it didn't work. I've had these reactions all my life, and nothing stops them except letting them do their thing.

have you tried a mastocytosis drug called "gastrocrom" It is expensive and you have to take it very large doses toget a control on your mast cells, 1000 mg a day, but luckily it is very hard to overdose on it.

btw look up systemic mastocytosis...it is a rare but serious allergic/hemotological disorder.

Jojo

My doctor told me it wasn't important for me to get one since I've never had sex. If you have had sex, it might be a good idea whether or not you're sexually active now. But since the virus is sexually transmitted, there's really no reason to worry about it if you're a virgin.

The virus you're referring to is HPV, and while it is sexually transmitted (and therefore not a worry if you don't have sex) it's not the only thing that gets checked in a smear test.

Recommendations have loosened recently and they are no longer suggesting that anyone under 21 get a smear test and they're no longer suggesting to get the test annually.

Getting the test is still a good idea, no matter whether you have sex or not.

I am in my late 40's. Pretty soon, they won't be insisting I take a test to prove I'm not pregnant... my thing is that I look very young for my age.

"Are you pregnant?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure."

"Are you sure you're sure?"

"I'm too old."

"You can't be more than 29."

"But my driver's license says I was born in 1964."

So they give me a test to make sure my driver's license is authentic.

It's never come up during any of my doctor's visits, although I do get some surprised looks and occasional further questioning when I say I'm a virgin. I'm turning 21 soon, though, so they may start pressuring me to get a pap smear. I absolutely have to be on birth control for medical reasons. If they try to withhold my medication or give me a hard time about me making personal decisions about my own body, I plan to call around until I find someone who will prescribe it without hassling me.

On a side note, I absolutely loathe going to the ER. Every time I've been they always insist on checking to see if I'm pregnant even when I tell them that it's not possible.

Ha to that side note...I hate going to doctors and being asked that...considering I'm a Female-to-male trasngeder with a deep voice and facial hair....nope, no way I'd be pregnant!

Batman's Ace

My doctor asked me once a while ago if I'm sexually active, and when I said no he said basically "okay, you can wait on the test then." He hasn't mentioned it since. If he pushes for it in any way, I'm planning to bring up my rape phobia and claim the test would be too traumatic (completely accurate).

I am in my late 40's. Pretty soon, they won't be insisting I take a test to prove I'm not pregnant... my thing is that I look very young for my age.

"Are you pregnant?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure."

"Are you sure you're sure?"

"I'm too old."

"You can't be more than 29."

"But my driver's license says I was born in 1964."

So they give me a test to make sure my driver's license is authentic.

:D I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an annoyance. I know some very young-looking girls who keep getting pulled over by police because they look too young to drive.

You're not 21 yet and they think it's odd that you're still a virgin? That is slightly disturbing. Almost makes me miss the Victorian age.

You're not 21 yet and they think it's odd that you're still a virgin? That is slightly disturbing. Almost makes me miss the Victorian age.

They probably wanted to make sure. There are a lot of people who don't consider anal or oral sex 'real sex' and still consider themselves virgins after having those.

On a related not, when I went back for a follow up appointment after starting on birth control the woman who'd prescribed my birth control asked if my bf and I also used condoms when we had sex. She was a bit surprised when I told her we hadn't had sex yet (we'd been dating for 5 months and I'd been on the pill for 3). I think it was a pleasant surprise though.

She was really happy when I came to her for the initial prescription and told her that my bf and I agreed I should start on the pill before we had sex.

Another lost one

I actually came to AVEN looking for help. I got threatened by a doctor today; that he'd withhold my sprintec prescription if I didn't undergo a pap smear. In addition to being a virgin, I'm a repulsed ace, and I just can't go through with it.

If it wasn't for my painful periods and acne I would just skip out (frankly I'm still considering skipping out) but I really need those pills. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a prescription without being tortured? (I'm sorry, for me that's what it is). Does planned parenthood require pap smears?

Doctors still look at me like I said 'I'm a unicorn' instead of I'm a virgin. Who votes that next time I just say the former? :P (Sorry trying to get some humor in here to make up for my freak out)

I've heard that all planned parenthood requires is a blood pressure check to prescribe birth control. Call the one closest to you and ask. I don't know if this doctor you saw was a GYN or your regular doctor, but if I were you, I wouldn't ever go back to that particular one. A decent doctor shouldn't threaten to withhold medication like that, especially since a pap smear isn't considered "medically necessary" for taking birth control.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Have some :cake:

I actually came to AVEN looking for help. I got threatened by a doctor today; that he'd withhold my sprintec prescription if I didn't undergo a pap smear. In addition to being a virgin, I'm a repulsed ace, and I just can't go through with it.

If it wasn't for my painful periods and acne I would just skip out (frankly I'm still considering skipping out) but I really need those pills. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a prescription without being tortured? (I'm sorry, for me that's what it is). Does planned parenthood require pap smears?

Doctors still look at me like I said 'I'm a unicorn' instead of I'm a virgin. Who votes that next time I just say the former? :P (Sorry trying to get some humor in here to make up for my freak out)

When I got mine from planned parenthood I just got my blood pressure taken along with my height and weight. I had to fill out some forms and was asked a few questions related to my sex life and general health.

They'll probably suggest you get a pap smear for general health depending on how old you are, but I doubt they'll force you into one. Especially if you explain why you haven't had one.

Another lost one

I called today and they were actually really nice and understanding on the phone. They made it clear they'd just weigh me and check my blood pressure, and the lady on the phone was actually pretty compassionate about the whole deal.

And no, I'm never going back to that horrible individual. The trouble was I don't have a primary care doctor and I was trying to find one. This was sort of the last straw; I'll stick with planned parenthood and 'zoomcare' for my medical needs. Baring something incredibly awful that should cover it.

i havent been to a doctor of any kind in ten years and maybe ill get a pap smear. on second thought and i know this is very stupid i'll just die young

Another lost one

Well Vivi if you need birth control the Planned Parenthood folks were awesome to me today at least. Didn't make demands of me, and the nurse/midwife I saw was the most understanding medical professional I've ever met when it comes to discussing my erm 'private' life (or lack there of). :)

But please don't die young, you're nice. :(

blackwingsblackheart

Another lost one, I'm glad it worked out! Planned Parenthood are great, aren't they? I was in a similar situation to yours when I was younger--I was on birth control pills for ovarian cysts and got similarly blackmailed into pelvic exams, even though I identified as lesbian at the time. I didn't find it traumatizing, fortunately, but if there was an option to refuse the test I didn't know about it. But hey, I have a long history of clean pap smears, so that's not so bad.

Archived