Asexual - what is it in your language?

bristrek

So, I'm looking for the word asexual in as many possible languages as possible. I have it in German, Chinese, Arabic, Italian, apparently it's the same in Spanish but any others it'd be awesome and much appreciated!

In hebrew it's א-מיני for a guy and א-מינית for a girl, but you can't read that obviously.

Well, I don't know what it sounds like but I was given this:

12128-5691.png

Which is..... different. I didn't know there was a boy/girl thing going on in Hebrew either so.... any ideas?

ETA: Person who gave it to me tells me it's plural and so is as close to gender neutral as possible. We're doing that in cases where it's gendered and that works.

I'm pretty sure the ים at the end is plural, but then again, it's been three years since my last hebrew lesson...

Måskemigselvetsted

In Danish, it is aseksuel. I actually like the English word better, but maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it

Capslock Cadet

Should be "asexuell" in Swedish. "Jag är asexuell" = "I am asexual".

Well, I found "asexual" in French, but it is used in biology. It's asexué. Je suis un asexué! Where I found it.

Eeeerrrrr... Heheh. I'll just correct it. ^_^

In French, an "asexual," talking of the sexual orientation, is an «Asexuel» for the male form, and «Asexuelle» for the female form. I'm saying this not only to show the real answer but also to POINT OUT that if someone calls you an «Asexué(e)», then either they need further information or asexuality, they're teasing you or insulting you, depending on what you are...

«Asexué» is mostly used in biologic terminology, as you said... But it's referring to, for example, asexual reproduction («Reproduction asexuée»). The point is that it can also refer to an organism that has no sex/gender... so if you're a gendered asexual and you still like the way you are, and that a French stranger calls you "asexué"... Careful.

Kitty Spoon Train

Croatian...

Aseksualnost - Asexuality.

Aseksualac - Asexual (male singular noun).

Aseksualka - Asexual (female singular noun).

Aseksualci - Asexuals (male or mixed group noun).

Aseksualke - Asexuals (all female group noun).

The first one will be understood as "asexuality". The second two are what you would, for example, carry as a label for "self" as a single personal noun (like what would be on your shirt in a rally if you're labelling yourself as an asexual there). Two last two are if you're, say, carrying a banner for groups of asexuals.

Okay, that was probably overkill. :P

Alan Degas

Faroese.

I'll just do the same as Guzica did, as my lamguage is also one of those annoying ones where you differenciate between gender :P

Aseksualitetur - Asexuality

Aseksuellur - Asexual (male singular pronoun)

Aseksuel - Asexuel (female singular pronoun)

Aseksuelt - Asexual (neutral singular pronoun)

Aseksuellir - Asexual (male group noun)

Aseksuel - Asexual (female, neutral or mixed group noun)

Well, I found "asexual" in French, but it is used in biology. It's asexué. Je suis un asexué! Where I found it.

Eeeerrrrr... Heheh. I'll just correct it. ^_^

In French, an "asexual," talking of the sexual orientation, is an «Asexuel» for the male form, and «Asexuelle» for the female form. I'm saying this not only to show the real answer but also to POINT OUT that if someone calls you an «Asexué(e)», then either they need further information or asexuality, they're teasing you or insulting you, depending on what you are...

«Asexué» is mostly used in biologic terminology, as you said... But it's referring to, for example, asexual reproduction («Reproduction asexuée»). The point is that it can also refer to an organism that has no sex/gender... so if you're a gendered asexual and you still like the way you are, and that a French stranger calls you "asexué"... Careful.

Is there a gender neutral term that isn't biological? In some times like this we're using the plural of asexual to get around it.

BTW, thanks for all the answers people.

Indeed it is "asexual" in Spanish (pronounced [ä.sekˈsuäl], like ah-sexuAL in English.) Like in English, it's the same word for the aces, for the asexual reproduction, and for the beings without sexual organs. It doesn't distinguish gender and can work both like adjective and noun. (whew, an easy word)

The plural is "asexuales" ([ä.sekˈsuä.les], kind of ah-sexuAL-less n English.))

From what I know about Gallician, the word is exactly the same...

And I can't find any standard word in Esperanto. A dictionary search brings "heteroseksa"/"aliseksema" (adjective) heterosexual... so if anyone wanted to coin a new word in Esperanto it would be "aseksa", or better, "senseksema" or "neseksema" (all of them adjectives). My guess.

(to refer to a person, replace the last "a" with "ulo")

Okay, so French translator hasn't responded at all - anybody know what 'asexual and proud' is in French?

Archived