How Quickly Do You Notice People Physically?

biggreenmonkey

biggreenmonkey

One thing I posted got me thinking about how I percieve people, and I wonder if it's a common thing to asexuals.

I find when I meet people, I really don't notice much about them. I could probably pick them out in a crowd, but I couldn't describe them in great detail. And the odd thing is, I usually never do notice them in great detail, even months later. For instance, my best friend, whom I have known for six years and have had lengthy conversations with, where I have looked at her for long periods of time. Just a month ago I noticed she really has an oval shaped face, and a slightly hooked nose. I have a teacher, who I have seen every school day since September, and I just noticed that he has a very Roman nose. I just noticed my dad has a very raspy voice (Well, not quite the same). I just noticed one of my male friends is taller then I thought. I just noticed my grandmother's hair is thinning.

Since I've had all these revelations I've been trying to be more aware of people physically, but has anyone else had a similar... lack of noticing? I was wondering if it's because I'm not sexually attracted to people that I don't notice these things, or if it's just a personal thing.

PeterMacKenzie

I tend not to notice things about people either. I have trouble remembering people in general, recognising faces, matching voices to people etc, so it's not terribly suprising that I have to become pretty familiar with people before I start noticing things. I also have to have known a person for some months generally before I can start finding them attractive, though I can still 'rate' people if I decide to.

Did you notice that you tend not to notice things and thus recently start making a point of noticing more, or have you just started noticing things for no particular reason that you've noticed?

Nope. I'll notice big things, like hair color, general face shape, and overall size, but I can't rapidly bring to mind what an individual person looks like.

Although if I try really hard, I'm able to remember their face. :?

Silly Green Monkey

For the longest time, I couldn't even remember exactly what I looked like.

Most people blur together for me.

nonentities

I notice very small details about everyone, but I also write a lot ... so I think it has something to do with that.

I did notice that when I went back and looked at high school pictures of people I hadn't seen in a while, I really "saw" their faces -- it's hard to explain, but I sort of recognised them as people instead of just "Brian" or "Courtney" or what have you.

biggreenmonkey
I also have to have known a person for some months generally before I can start finding them attractive, though I can still 'rate' people if I decide to.

Me too! It's really hard for me to just someone's attractiveness off the bat, and I feel uneasy with whatever answer I give. However, I think that's also because I consider their personality a big part of how attractive they are.

Did you notice that you tend not to notice things and thus recently start making a point of noticing more, or have you just started noticing things for no particular reason that you've noticed?

:: stares at sentance for a few minutes, trying to decode it with her amazing lack of cognitive skill:: The first one.

biggreenmonkey
Yeah, I'm the same.

And here I thought it was because I'm too stubborn to wear my glasses.

Wow. Lightbulb.

Actually, no, I still don't notice people when I wear contacts. However, you got me thinking for a second :D

I guess I have a high intelligence when it comes to people. I can remember people as well as small details about them very well. Somehow, my memory doesn't translate to other areas though.

I'm useless with faces.

Well faces, names, the whole lot.

I do forget what people look like easily.

When I do look at people for some reason I look at their nose shape. No idea why it never helps me remember them!

i dont remember how people looked...but i remembered what they said, and how they behave...i tend to pick up the subtle things about a person but i cannot remember a face. :?

I'm usually better in remembering names than faces.

An acquaintance - a middle-aged man - told me that his memory for faces was really lousy: one day when he went to the kindergarten to take her daughter home, he couldn't remember what she looked like. "All the children there looked the same."

I don't so much forget what people look like as, if I haven't seen someone in a while, I have no confidence whatever memory I have. And I'm afraid to ask them if they are X, because that wouldn't be very sociable...

Once I noticed that women may have pointy sideburns while men's are squared off. Then I was staring at everybody's sideburns. I suddenly realized why men on Star Trek have always looked a little weird to me - they have pointy sideburns!

I hope I haven't gotten anyone fixated on sideburns now . . .

I have a really hard time telling women on television and movies apart. I don't know if it's me, or if women actually do look similar - standards of a round face, big eyes and lips, small nose and chin - and are supposed to look pretty, as opposed to men, who seem to have much more variation when it comes to appearance.

I also tend not to notice faces or facial features. Or other body parts. Like when I'm with my friends and they say "Hey, check out that ass!" and I'm "Huh? Where?".

I usually don't pay too much attention to people unless I really want to know more about them and enjoy conversing with them. If I only met a person once I probably wouldn't be able to describe any part of them except maybe what color there hair is and there skin tone.

I was thinking about this...

I'll remember specific situations with a person. I remember a cute little girl because she was all over my lap, exploring the ambulance. What she looked like, no clue. The various geriatric patients by the call and the date. (Cardiac arrest, CVA--stroke, unresponsive, respiratory, cardiac, pain...)

I also have to have known a person for some months generally before I can start finding them attractive, though I can still 'rate' people if I decide to.

Me too! It's really hard for me to just someone's attractiveness off the bat, and I feel uneasy with whatever answer I give. However, I think that's also because I consider their personality a big part of how attractive they are.

Me three!

I always feel uneasy rating based solely on looks, I always stare at the eys and try really hard to see into their personality that way (not that it ever works, but I try).

Wow, so much in this thread I agree with. I remember what people said, what they felt, where we were, things like that, but faces? names?

However, you got me thinking for a second :D

Woo! I'm thought-provoking!

In my mind, all my friends are gorgeous. If I like you I tend to think you're good looking.

But I find it hard to judge strangers. All the time a friend will say "Isn't that guy hot?" or whatever, and I'll go, "Uh, I dunno, I guess he's okay" or something equally lame.

Unless someone specifically points something out or gives me a reason to specifically notice something, I couldn't tell you a thing about anyone.

well, not to be a racist. actually all non-asians (by that i mean oriental asians) looked the same to me. when i used to go to school with a whole lot of caucasians around i can never tell who's who for a very long time. i can remember voices better somehow and i avoid trying to call a person's name initially. its sucky to ask again and again who he/she was when they remembered you immediately.

Once I noticed that women may have pointy sideburns while men's are squared off. Then I was staring at everybody's sideburns. I suddenly realized why men on Star Trek have always looked a little weird to me - they have pointy sideburns!

I hope I haven't gotten anyone fixated on sideburns now . . .

I have a really hard time telling women on television and movies apart. I don't know if it's me, or if women actually do look similar - standards of a round face, big eyes and lips, small nose and chin - and are supposed to look pretty, as opposed to men, who seem to have much more variation when it comes to appearance.

well, not to be a racist. actually all non-asians (by that i mean oriental asians) looked the same to me.

:lol: that made me laugh, for the longest time I couldn't tell asian people apart :roll:

I pay a fair amount of attention, and notice looks a lot. Before, I never looked at the people around me, I just wasn't interested, but now I do. I like to look around and find "beauty", it's kind of weird, I apreciate "standar" beauty, but I like it way more if it's hidden...

I've also noticed I have a pretty visual memory... for example, I remember the people here by their avatars most of the time, that's what I look first, and sincerely, a lot of times I don't even read the user name :roll:

well, not to be a racist. actually all non-asians (by that i mean oriental asians) looked the same to me.

A couple of my friends in high school were Asian and people used to mix them up all the time, which I thought was funny cause they don't look alike at all to me.

We always used to joke about how Asians looking the same. Makes it easier to find fake IDs and all that.

I tend not to notice much difference between faces. But that's probably due to my slight myopia. I do notice faces more if people have strikingly-coloured hair, whether blond,red,pink or green.

Loki

i am a very good receptor of beauty, and can decide on attractiveness within seconds.

i tend to notice that in people a lot.

Frigid Pink

I have a really good memory---so yes, I will remember what you look like if I only met you once 20 years ago. I may not, however, remember your name!

A couple of my friends in high school were Asian and people used to mix them up all the time, which I thought was funny cause they don't look alike at all to me.

We always used to joke about how Asians looking the same. Makes it easier to find fake IDs and all that.

well the same goes for us asians, we think all caucasians looked the same. even the hair and eye color thingy doesnt help much either!

I'm a high myope so I *hear* people better than I see 'em naturally (I also smell them) but, with good lens in, I notice things about people that most people dont. I'm an artist: I have some anatomical training, and I'm aware of different body proportions among different human populations. I find this area fascinating. i havent, as yet, EVER seen all/any Pakeha/Chinese/Japanese/ Maori as identical/indistinguable - except as human beings-

its like, i can somewhat tell apart, say japanese and chinese.

but im not entirely sure about the entire caucasian race. they looked the same. o.o and in class i used to be rather confused. took me a long time to get the correct people because i get mixed up and they looked the same to me.