33 replies to this topic

#31 Sally

Sally

Cakemaster

• AVEN Members
  • 24,101 posts
  • A/Sexuality:old asexual

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Reviewing threads, observing inputs from people giving away free information on age, location, sex and social structure dynamics it would not be unreasonable to make the mostly caucasean, working to middle class and within the western world observation.

How would you have any idea of my age/social structure dynamics/race, since they're not on my profile? And even leaving aside the fact that many profiles don't have those data posted (or the data may not be truthful), have you inspected every profile on AVEN?

There's no point in making assumptions about the demographics of AVEN, except perhaps to say that AVENites skew toward being younger than 40. Even that is suspect.

I don't have the energy to do PMs.

#32 Timeas

Timeas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • A/Sexuality:homoromantic

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

@Savant: in order to use most inferential techniques you need a random sample, in other terms respondents have been selected according to a predefined strategy that complies with a variety of rules.
It doesn't mean that a convenience sample (such as this one) cannot provide valuable information. You just can't apply most statistical methods, so there is no notion of 'accuracy' as you said, which means something very specific in stats, simply because you cannot carry out any estimation procedure.
This is why I was asking Julia about her analysis. I am not very familiar with ways social researchers can deal with non-random samples, and I am very interested to know more about it!

#33 PiF

PiF

Old Skool Asexual

• Banned
  • 7,585 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Straight Asexual

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

How would you have any idea of my age/social structure dynamics/race, since they're not on my profile? And even leaving aside the fact that many profiles don't have those data posted (or the data may not be truthful), have you inspected every profile on AVEN?

There's no point in making assumptions about the demographics of AVEN, except perhaps to say that AVENites skew toward being younger than 40. Even that is suspect.

People in forums offer a great deal of personal information either knowingly or unknowingly. Just by reviewing many posts and threads Sally I have seen information that would lead me to feel you are well respected in aven, over the age of 60, have your personal messaging system mostly turned off, have previously worked in a lawyers/legal office, are of the jewish faith and you live in or near seattle?

Looking through aven it is not that difficult in general but not always, to discover and make observations about it's membership. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.

Timeas, I agree the survey is useful but questioned the reflection of Asexuality as a whole through one forum. A point of concern for myself is the apparent suggested link within the request of depression and Asexuality.

When life gives you Lemons....Make lemonade

#34 Philip027

Philip027

AVENistor

• AVEN Members
  • 4,099 posts
  • Pronouns:Anything, really
  • A/Sexuality:Nonlibidoist demiheteromantic asexual

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:56 AM

Done
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic