Christianity, the Bible and Asexuality

significantlysilent

While not particularly religious myself, I do come from a family that's is and I live in the Bible Belt.

Not that I can specify for Catholosism, or for any paticular sect, there are commonalities in idealogies.

If there are people against asexuality, it could be tied into the birth control/ want for reproduction values. Maybe some see it as a chosen way of birth control in a relationship, since celibacy outside of marriage is fine. Celibacy is saving yourself for marriage, asexuality may mean that sex will never happen for a person. Also for nuns it is built in to the rules of sisterhood I believe.

Another factor may be that asexuality does not fit the desired sexuality of some religions, people, practices, or doctrines. Despite there being many of us world wide, it is still a new concept for mainstream society. Most people have no clue what it is outside of sponges. Some people think we make it up, or we are broken, closeted, or have not met the right person.

These views are common and likely held by some Catholics, observers of the religion and those who are a part of the church itself. Maybe talking to a priest, or a few, may give you a clearer picture of how Catholosism views asexuality, if it is backed by doctrine or if there is no consensus.

However, I overheard some rumors that Catholics are against asexuality. And that if you are sexual, you'll be sent straight to hell.

Yeah, that sounds like overexaggeration to me. I think whether you end up in heaven or hell is primarily determined by whether or not you behave like an unrepentant jerkass. A/sexuality has nothing to do with that sort of thing.

Well, I'm not Catholic, but I've never ever felt that abstaining from sex is a sin.

In Romans 2:14-15 (from my understanding of it) Paul writes that everyone has the law of God written in their hearts, so that everyone's conscience is able to discern wrong from right. Do you feel that abstaining from sex is a sin? Personally, I don't.

There is a passage in the New Testament (I forget where at the moment) that talks about if two people are married, then they should not be selfish with their bodies and if one of them wants sex, then they should not withhold their bodies from their husband/wife for too long (unless they both agree to abstain). But if a person is asexual and agrees with their partner to not take part in sexual activities, then that verse would be irrelevant. Because they would both have mutually agreed already to not have sex.

Basically, in my opinion, and from what I've understood from my reading in God's Word, there is nothing sinful about abstaining from sex.

No one can really tell you how to practice your religion, or what makes a good/bad Catholic. You have to go with what your heart tells you. Maintain a good relationship with God and do good things in his name... feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, and volunteering in your community. Take care and respect yourself and others. This is my opinion on what a good Christian/Catholic is... but you might find being a Catholic means something else to you.

You won't go to Hell. I don't believe in it... so maybe I'm biased, but you're not going to Hell.

I read the Bible a couple times and I read a verse that God won't let his children walk through fire ie go to Hell. I don't think Hell is supported by the Bible. Just my interpretation on it. See how a book written thousands of years ago can be interpreted differently? Nobody knows the original meaning. The Bible may have been the word of God, but it was written by Man and we are fallible. We make mistakes and allow our own biases to blind us to certain perceptions.

Here's a link regarding the Bible and asexuality

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-asexuality.html

I'm a Christian, but I don't belong to a denomination. I have never seen anything in the Bible say it's wrong to not desire sex and I don't see why anyone else would see it as a bad thing or something for you to give up. If a Catholic tells you that it's something bad, ask them why and be prepared to give them a response. :)

Touchofinsight

I'm Catholic, first off.

I do believe in God and I follow almost all the rules (I have to take birth control due to a very serious medical problem, not sex). I have gone to church as a kid and part of the teen years. At first I didn't go because it was boring but now I don't because for me, it's awkward praying with a bunch of people and I can't sing (vocal chord issue) so the entire experience is weird.

But I digress.

I'm not too knowledgeable about my own religion outside basic stuff (holidays, what to do/not to do, some of the rules, some of the bible and a few prayers).

However, I overheard some rumors that Catholics are against asexuality. And that if you are sexual, you'll be sent straight to hell.

I worry about that. I mean, many Catholics seem to think of it was celibacy and a sign of God. Plus there are nuns.

Or do they mean I can't marry someone and refuse sex? Cause there's no way I can 'compromise' this.

While some Catholics may not like asexuality and say that it's "against god" or "against god's will" that is just their opinion.

Asexuality is such a recent development in modern day society that I have never heard or seen any discrimination against the idea of someone being asexual in the catholic context.

Catholics definitely have had a history of demonizing sex "outside of wedlock" (not being married) but as far as I know there are no religious negative contexts about asexuality.

Catholic is a label and a religion and you could ask 1,000 catholic men, and they'd all have a different answer.

So the short answer is, whom ever you decide to marry you have to deal with that sexual issue before you are married. You have to let them know if we move on with this relationship... this is what our sex life looks like in the future. That is a tough thing to do.. but its the right thing... and you CERTAINLY resolve the potential issue about sex before marriage!

Outside people don't matter in your relationships... its your relationship with your significant other, your self, and your God. If you can reconcile those three and you can be a strong confident person and deal with other people's value judgments... you'll live a happy life.

My mother is Catholic. In Catholicism, sex is a husband's matrimonial right and a wife's matrimonial obligation. However, a wife is within her rights to refuse her husband sex when (even after counseling) she does not want to have any more babies, and particularly if a pregnancy may cause medical, physical or mental problems for her or any future babies.

According to my mom, asexuality is not recognized as a human condition (best term I can come up with right now) by Catholics. Doesn't exist for them, I guess.

Two discussions, namely "Religion & Sex" by skymessenger, and "Between the prespective of Asexual Individuals" by Megazarth, have been moved from Asexual Q&A and merged into this one.

My friend's room mate is a preachers son and is evangelical so I was curious to ask him his thoughts about it. Strangely enough even though he has very strong views about gay people ( he thinks they are all born sinners and can choose) he actually surprised me and said he didn't think anything was wrong with asexuality because not wanting to have sex wasn't looked down upon.

I'm a christian and an asexual. I personally believe that all Christians can't be lumped together on their views about sexuality. My bible tells me to love my neighbor and to me that means everyone, God didn't make any exceptions when he said it so why should I. Everyone interprets the bible differently and while not everyone is accepting, some of us are and its kind of sad when people just lump us together with the extremist and the lunatics. I don't like stereotyping and when people judge others based on the labels and preconceived notions.

• 2 weeks later...

"I am more Diest if anything, which would mean I believe there is a God but not in the fact of the Bible (or what is claimed to be God's word) is always correct, reasonable, or rational in a certain time, place, or today's world."

Let's examine this for a minute: In my opinion yes you are correct that the bible is not allways correct in today's world, so how can you know for sure it was correct in the world at the time the bible was written,

I just said this in another post; If you take what the bible says into context literally (the whole bible, not just a few scriptures) Asexuality, Homosexuality, etc. is NOT a sin. As far as asexuality goes, even though it is not mentioned specifically in the bible; the bible says it is better to be alone than to be married into a sexless marriage; as you would have more time to serve "god".

Not going to sit here and rip apart the bible (although, I could) - I will just say this; if you take every verse in the bible literally - the only people going to heaven is the Jews.

Also in my opinion, the bible, and religion for that matter is full of crap.

• 1 year later...
in an overpopulated world with environmental problems, celebrating fertility is frankly irresponsible.

Hear, hear.

I'm Christian and no one in my family or in my church has had a problem with asexuality. Probably because Paul was most likely ace and because 1 Corinthians practically endorses asexuality. People who say asexuality is "against God" are just putting words in God's mouth so they can justify their own beliefs.

I'm also a Christian and think Paul was probably ace. It just makes sense with a lot of what he wrote.

I'm Christian and no one in my family or in my church has had a problem with asexuality. Probably because Paul was most likely ace and because 1 Corinthians practically endorses asexuality. People who say asexuality is "against God" are just putting words in God's mouth so they can justify their own beliefs.

I'm also a Christian and think Paul was probably ace. It just makes sense with a lot of what he wrote.

I don't know about that. He was a Pharisee, so he was very likely married at some point, so his "passions" had been awakened, to paraphrase the Song of Songs.

I think he chose to remain single because he realized that his missionary work would put himself in harm's way, and God supernaturally removed, or at least tempered, his sex drive so that it wouldn't be a constant source of distraction.

This thread is being locked for necromancy. If you'd like to start a similar discussion, please begin a new thread.

Lia

Administrator

Archived