Christianity, the Bible and Asexuality

significantlysilent

I believe the op is having a personal rant with very little based on fact. They are entitled to rant in the rant section though. :lol:

Qutenkuddly

I believe the op is having a personal rant with very little based on fact. They are entitled to rant in the rant section though. :lol:

Simply because the OP hasn't presented the basis upon which sie is presenting hir rant, does not automatically indicate there isn't one. You could politely ask hir on what grounds sie is presenting hir comments, perhaps?

Because everyone's "supposed" to really want sex, and since it's a struggle for them to resist having it, it should also be a struggle for everyone else.

Yeah, it's stupid.

Simply because the OP hasn't presented the basis upon which sie is presenting hir rant, does not automatically indicate there isn't one. You could politely ask hir on what grounds sie is presenting hir comments, perhaps?

That would suppose I cared? This is the rant section and highwaytohell chose to rant and that's okay with me.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're using "hir" and "sie"?

Qutenkuddly

I'm trying to use neutral pronouns (at least the ones I've seen used around here) when discussing someone whose gender is either unknown or ambiguous to me. If I'm using 'em wrong, feel free to let me know.

Beware The Demopan

I see heterosexism in all this... It's annoying when certain heterosexuals get after both homosexuals (male, obviously) and us asexuals for not "wanting any pussy" [Emphasizes on the quote marks] or something like that. What's even more annoying is how certain overzealous Christians are getting after homosexuals and asexuals for their way of life.

A religion can say nothing itself. It is a non-living entity.

Religions have scriptures which present the theology of those religions, so they do "say" things. However, individual groups or persons can and do interpret those scriptures however they wish.

I'm trying to use neutral pronouns (at least the ones I've seen used around here) when discussing someone whose gender is either unknown or ambiguous to me. If I'm using 'em wrong, feel free to let me know.

A mod for a few days and already the politically correct gene has been implanted :P

Qutenkuddly

That would suppose I cared? This is the rant section and highwaytohell chose to rant and that's okay with me.

If the issue matters little, then it would be better not to make unfounded judgement calls about another's basis for posting.

Ah... just wasn't sure if I was missing something. :)

A mod for a few days and already the politically correct gene has been implanted :P

Qute has been on AVEN for quite a while, and was being polite, which should be praised, not derided.

If the issue matters little, then it would be better not to make unfounded judgement calls about another's basis for posting.

If we banned unfounded judgement calls aven would be a very quiet place indeed, but I note your point.

Touchofinsight

Another terrible example of behavior control. The fact that asexual and other people don't behave the way they want they try to tell you what you do is wrong because of course their viewpoint of reality is the only "correct" one... It is easier for them to accept reality when everything is the way they want it to be instead of accepting differences that in fact don't change or affect their life in any way... ugh

Qutenkuddly

If we banned unfounded judgement calls aven would be a very quite place indeed, but I note your point.

Thank you very much for your understanding in this. :cake:

God really does care what you do in your bedroom, and with whom.

Your God may. My God has better things to monitor.

A woman gave me a pamphlet today, and there was an entire section devoted to 'God' declaring the roles of the family. I was more than a wee bit disturbed by the implication that Christians should only have nuclear families with the man being the 'head.' Even if I didn't fully support other types of marriage or cohabitation; it also felt rather like it was implying that my mom shouldn't have left my father when he was abusive. (Dead now of a drug overdose.) Plus, my family has always been matriarchal; even when Poppy was alive, Nanny decided the day-to-day things.

Mr Stranger

As a Catholic asexual living with a very Catholic family in a very Catholic community, I have run through the scenario presented by the OP. It is just as preposterous as it sounds. The problem isn't with the religion though, it's with the zealots. These same people also criticize anything protestant, shun expressions of sexuality, and fight with atheists. Being an asexual puts you in a minority group, and zealots of any organization hate minorities. That's just a fact of life. It's a ridiculous double standard, but nothing that can't be ignored. Zealots want to control your life, and most of the other people in the zealot's organization will encourage you to ignore them.

FauxMoniker

I haven't come out to my parents, but I'm afraid they will react this way. Even though they're super "no sex before marriage" I can still see them being super "but you have to have sex if you get married."

I talked to a girl who was Islamic and she said she came out to her super conservative (sexually) parents and they were shocked and also very "How could you not want to have sex after you get married."

I dunno. Maybe it's the "you should have sex with your spouse" thing.

HighwayToHell

How is it that people can be Pro "Not having sex as a choice" but Anti "Not having sex as who I am"?

What the hell?!

When sexuals torture themselves by abstaining and take cold showers, the religious fanatics love it. Mea culpa!! Mea culpa!!

But when asexuals, without conscious decision or intention, sinfully disobey the commandment "be fruitful and multiply" somehow that is wrong??

I am frustrated by how backwards and double-standard this is.

What religions have said that asexuality is wrong? If you mean not having children, asexuals can and do have children.

There are several stories in these AVEN forums that are examples to what I am talking about.

"sie" is actually German for "she". Capitalized, "Sie" is German for "They". Not sure about "hir", though.

I'm curious: Where do these words come from in this context?

Behold. This is what we are up against.

There are always a few fundamentalists on AVEN.

Qutenkuddly

"sie" is actually German for "she". Capitalized, "Sie" is German for "They". Not sure about "hir", though.

I'm curious: Where do these words come from in this context?

Some time ago, the trans community in AVEN attempted to establish the use of general neutral pronouns for use with those who do not wish to use masculine and feminine pronouns, or in instances where gender is uncertain or unknown. The pronouns I used in your instance are the ones most commonly seen in AVEN. If you would prefer the use of other pronouns, might I recommend either stating a gender or presenting your preferred pronouns in your profile description, so that they will show under your username and avatar when posting?

There are always a few fundamentalists on AVEN.

There are also always people who use sarcastic verbal irony to make a point. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

I was poking fun at religions specifying all the little nuances of when it is and isn't okay to have sex.

Qutenkuddly

I was poking fun at religions specifying all the little nuances of when it is and isn't okay to have sex.

I suspected as much. (Fellow Canuck humour) To avoid such confusion in the future, however, you may wish to use some indication that you're being humorous, such as stating "*said with tongue-in-cheek*", or using a smiley.

I suspected as much. (Fellow Canuck humour) To avoid such confusion in the future, however, you may wish to use some indication that you're being humorous, such as stating "*said with tongue-in-cheek*", or using a smiley.

Ah. I forget to put those thingies on also.

From I Cor, Chapter 7:

7. Indeed, I wish everyone to be as I am, but each has a particular gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

8. Now to the unmarried and to widows, I say: it is a good thing for them to remain as they are, as I do,

9. but if they cannot exercise self-control they should marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire.

(...)

27. Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek a separation. Are you free of a wife? Then do not look for a wife

(...)

32. I should like you to be free of anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord.

Asexual = not in the fire.

Bottomline for catholics: Being aromantic asexual is on the bible. That's nothing wrong with it. If "they" bother you, quote stuff and move on. You can even say: "You're not ok with it, but St. Paul is! <#trollfaces>" or you could explain it on a more christian way, whatever works for you.

8)

HighwayToHell

From I Cor, Chapter 7:

9. but if they cannot exercise self-control they should marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire.

(...)

spider-meme-2.jpg

How is this any comfort?

It is basically saying married ppl are inferior because they can't handle temptation--whereas unmarried people can. The Bible is so screwed up.

• 4 weeks later...

For Christians primarily, though other non-aggressive comments are welcome too:

Has anyone been made to feel rejected by a Christian community or leader? Even by a community that supposedly accepts LGBTQ people?

I've been made to feel that I'm a bad Christian because I'm rejecting "God's gift" of sex. Also that I'm rejecting an intrinsic part of humanity. Christians believe we're made in God's image and we're sexual beings as a result. Which doesn't make sense because Jesus never had sex...

Anyway, I don't mean to start a controversy. I just want to know how some people deal with their identity and their Christian faith, and if they feel a need to reconcile or separate the two.

For Christians primarily, though other non-aggressive comments are welcome too:

Has anyone been made to feel rejected by a Christian community or leader? Even by a community that supposedly accepts LGBTQ people?

Not personally, no. My church knows I'm queer and trans. They're cool with it. ^_^

I've been made to feel that I'm a bad Christian because I'm rejecting "God's gift" of sex (horrible choice of gift BTW, God). Also that I'm rejecting an intrinsic part of humanity. Christians believe we're made in God's image and we're sexual beings as a result. Which doesn't make sense because Jesus never had sex...

Such people obviously never read 1 Corinthians 7...

Anyway, I don't mean to start a controversy. I just want to know how some people deal with their identity and their Christian faith, and if they feel a need to reconcile or separate the two.

I definitely did the reconciling thing. Realizing that you're not straight and you had no choice in the matter has a way of rocking your world. :P Although it was really more about me reconciling this new knowledge with the misconceptions fueled by the Christian right rather than with Christianity itself. In the end, I dropped the misconceptions because they weren't Biblical.

Archived