AVEN WorldPride banner design contest!

Sennkestra

Hey you! Yes, you!

Have you ever wanted to get more involved in asexual visibility efforts? Ever wanted to have something you designed be seen by thousands of admiring eyes?

Well, the AVEN WorldPride committee is currently looking for creatively-minded individuals to submit banner design ideas for the upcoming WorldPride march in London this summer! The final design will be featured on a banner carried by a contingent of aces and allies from all over the world as we march through London to prove to the world that yes, asexuals exist, and we’re pretty awesomely asexy!

Not an artist? Don’t have the means to create an actual image of your complete design? No worries - just send us a general description of your idea, and if it’s chosen, we’ll find a way to make it into reality!

If you have any questions about the contest, or for more information about WorldPride in general, please feel free to drop us a line at worldpride.aces@gmail.com, or check out the dedicated WorldPride subforum on AVEN for updates or ways to get involved.

Submission Requirements:

Designs must include a clearly displayed and readable reference to AVEN, The Asexual Visibility and Education Network, and/or asexuality.org. In addition, please keep in mind the guidelines below when creating your entries.

The deadline for submission is Saturday, April 28th. All submissions should be sent to worldpride.aces@gmail.com, and should include a copy of your design, an email address that we can use to contact you, your name, and any other information you would like to include.

Design Guidelines:

~Keep the size in mind: designs should be suitable for a large, horizontal banner approx. 300x 100 cm (this is only an estimate - actual size is liable to change). Designs that are adaptable to different sizes (such as those with solid or easily extended backgrounds) are preferred.

~ Keep it relevant: designs should be asexuality-themed - for example, white, black, grey and purple are relevant, as the colors of the asexual pride flag, but a red theme would not be as relevant. If you wish to use symbols not usually associated with ace pride or the ace community, please explain why you chose them!

~ Keep it simple: Try not to make the design too complex, and consider it practically. A banner that is cluttered with too many colors and images will be distracting and hard to read. We want something that will be easily understandable at a glance, but still eye-catching and more interesting than just plain text on a solid color banner. Try to avoid using photos or pictures*

(If used, however, any original art that cannot be easily reproduced (i.e., anything fancier than basic shapes, stripes, gradients, or text) should be scalable to full banner size with a resolution of at least 300dpi in the final print size.)

~ Keep it clear: Writing other than the names listed in the requirements above is optional but must also be clear and readable. There should not be an excess of writing- keep it simple, concise and relevant. Text should also be readable from a distance.

~ Keep it general: Preferably, designs should be re-usable. Having a design with “World Pride 2012!” is all very well but is singular to that event and it is likely the finished banner may be used for years at events all around the UK and potentially even abroad.

~Keep the message in mind: Be aware of the message your design conveys. Pride is huge opportunity to raise visibility, assert ourselves as legitimate and as representatives of our orientation, and designs should reflect that. Designs do not have to be super strict, but a design based on in-jokes like cake or Sherlock, for example, is unlikely to be taken as seriously by people not familiar with the asexual community.

~Keep it appropriate and legal: No profanity, swear words, or explicit content, please. In addition, please do not include copyrighted images or other trademarked logos or brands in your designs, with the exception of official AVEN symbols.

Even if your design is not chosen for the banner, your idea may still be chosen for stickers, leaflets or other vis/ed materials.

Also, please note that all designs are not final and may be subject to changes made by the WorldPride committee. By submitting entries into this contest, you are giving permission to use, reproduce, or modify any designs submitted with the understanding that the final design will be paraded publicly and is likely to appear in photographs and film which may be broadcast or made available for viewing online.

WorldPride is both a fun event and a fantastic visibility opportunity, so send in your design ideas and help us make it even more awesome!

I'll give it a shot! Ithaca keeps telling me to enter and I can't refuse her puppy eyes >_> Also I like the idea of helping out with a visibility effort since I never have before. I'm not really a graphic designer, more of an illustrator or comic book artist, but I have interesting concepts -sometimes-

See that, Ith? I posted grrrrl so you can calm yo tits

I'll start sketching tonight, and post some ideas in this thread for feedback later this week? if that's ok. I mean, I'm not in it to win it, just to contribute, so I'd like other people to have some imput on my designs. XD

I'll give it a shot! Ithaca keeps telling me to enter and I can't refuse her puppy eyes >_> Also I like the idea of helping out with a visibility effort since I never have before. I'm not really a graphic designer, more of an illustrator or comic book artist, but I have interesting concepts -sometimes-

See that, Ith? I posted grrrrl so you can calm yo tits

I'll start sketching tonight, and post some ideas in this thread for feedback later this week? if that's ok. I mean, I'm not in it to win it, just to contribute, so I'd like other people to have some imput on my designs. XD

oooh! Yes, posting ideas here is totally fine - I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

The Pofessional

I can't upload it right now, but I sketched a small something. A gradient cake on a purple background. Not sure what people's thoughts are on that, though. I know that some people don't like the cake/asexual thing. I also thought about putting the words LOVE in the flag colours.

Thoughts?

I would love to give it a shot! I am a current Web Graphic Design Student. This would be a fun project!

Hey guys! I finished a banner, and thought I would put up a small version to see if anyone has any feedback. The concept, of course, is 'aces' and it's in the asexual flag colors. Symbolically it's how there's more than one kind of asexual- we're not all the same, but we're from the same pack of cards!

bannerforaven.png

uhh...I guess that's it!

So I accidentally a possible banner design idea:

AVENbanner2.jpg

thoughts?

I'm not sure how well it would work as an actual banner, though. It feels to me more like something that would work as say, a website graphic. I'm also not sure if the text being all on one side is visible enough (And I haven't double-checked the translations, so they may be horribly wrong for all I know.)

---

Hey guys! I finished a banner, and thought I would put up a small version to see if anyone has any feedback. The concept, of course, is 'aces' and it's in the asexual flag colors. Symbolically it's how there's more than one kind of asexual- we're not all the same, but we're from the same pack of cards!

uhh...I guess that's it!

And Anti: that actually looks really cool! I think the only changes I would suggest would be maybe to simplify it a little - it has a lot of gradients and outlines, so maybe making the cards sold colors and not outlining the text? And we can skip the http://, most people don't type that anyway.

I like that it has the name very prominent and easy to read though.

---

BTW,

We are still looking for more suggestions! Even if all you have is a vague idea of something that might be cool, let us know! Every idea helps.

I'm not sure how well it would work as an actual banner, though. It feels to me more like something that would work as say, a website graphic. I'm also not sure if the text being all on one side is visible enough (And I haven't double-checked the translations, so they may be horribly wrong for all I know.)

As far as the Chinese translation goes, I'm fairly sure the first character, and definitely the third character, should be different. There's also the matter of whether to use traditional Chinese or simplified Chinese characters.

Here's the Chinese Wikipedia stub for asexuality in traditional Chinese: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%84%A1%E6%80%A7%E6%88%80

So in traditional Chinese, asexuality would be: 無性戀

In simplified Chinese, asexuality would be: 无性恋

As with English, there is a conventional conflation of sexual and romantic orientation, but =P

My knowledge of Chinese is not advanced enough to allow me to search around too quickly to see if people have developed terms for romantic orientation in Chinese as we have in English. I may attempt to do it after finals, when I have more time. :P

uhh...I guess that's it!

And Anti: that actually looks really cool! I think the only changes I would suggest would be maybe to simplify it a little - it has a lot of gradients and outlines, so maybe making the cards sold colors and not outlining the text? And we can skip the http://, most people don't type that anyway.

I like that it has the name very prominent and easy to read though.

[/b][/size]

Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably skip the gradients and do solid purple, and I will change the URL to be shorter. But I think the text needs to be outlined, otherwise it creates too many tangents or is difficult to read.

As far as the Chinese translation goes, I'm fairly sure the first character, and definitely the third character, should be different. There's also the matter of whether to use traditional Chinese or simplified Chinese characters.

Here's the Chinese Wikipedia stub for asexuality in traditional Chinese: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%84%A1%E6%80%A7%E6%88%80

As with English, there is a conventional conflation of sexual and romantic orientation, but =P

My knowledge of Chinese is not advanced enough to allow me to search around too quickly to see if people have developed terms for romantic orientation in Chinese as we have in English. I may attempt to do it after finals, when I have more time. :P

Heh, i was actually going off the wiki entry for Japanese.....

And huh, looking a little deeper into wiki it looks like there's two different pages seemingly about asexuality - the other has 無性愛 which is closer to the chinese version (the last character though seems to be usual for sexual orientations in japanese)). I'm not clear on what the difference is (as my japanese is terrible and it would take too long), but I have heard that ace communities in japan did distinguish between "asexual" and "nonsexual" (something to do with libido, I think). So I'm not sure which one is the best direct translation

so it might just be easier to use chinese, heh.

But yeah, if this ends up having a possibility of being on the final banner I'll probably have to fins people from alt lang comms to verify what's actually used.

Heh, i was actually going off the wiki entry for Japanese.....

And huh, looking a little deeper into wiki it looks like there's two different pages seemingly about asexuality - the other has 無性愛 which is closer to the chinese version (the last character though seems to be usual for sexual orientations in japanese)). I'm not clear on what the difference is (as my japanese is terrible and it would take too long), but I have heard that ace communities in japan did distinguish between "asexual" and "nonsexual" (something to do with libido, I think). So I'm not sure which one is the best direct translation

so it might just be easier to use chinese, heh.

But yeah, if this ends up having a possibility of being on the final banner I'll probably have to fins people from alt lang comms to verify what's actually used.

Whoops, my bad. :P These particular characters are written in the exact same manner in Chinese (unlike some kanji) and there was no hiragana around... *hides*

WünderBâhr

I'm not sure about a banner, Clea, but I would most certainly vote for that to be our new logo! It looks awesome!

I also like the idea behind the cards, Antitime. That even asexuals come in all different shapes and colors, though we fit into the same pack, is a marvelous message. I can't wait to see other banner ideas. This is exciting!

I also like the idea behind the cards, Antitime. That even asexuals come in all different shapes and colors, though we fit into the same pack, is a marvelous message. I can't wait to see other banner ideas. This is exciting!

Thank you so much!

here is the simplified update, btw!

asexybannerishot.png

• 1 month later...

I submitted a design for this before the deadline but only just now got up the guts to join AVEN properly. So I was just wondering, have the results of this contest been announced yet?

For the curious, this was my submission:

AVENBanner.jpg

It may be a bit too complex but I'm fond of it.

• Like 1
Vorpal Bunny

Congratulations on joining AVEN! Thank you for your submission. The results will be announced shortly and linked here.

I submitted a design for this before the deadline but only just now got up the guts to join AVEN properly. So I was just wondering, have the results of this contest been announced yet?

For the curious, this was my submission:

AVENBanner.jpg

It may be a bit too complex but I'm fond of it.

That's awesome!

Sennkestra

Hello again!

As you probably all know, the deadline has passed and we received way more suggestions than we were expecting–and all of them were great. Thank you all for your contributions, and we hope you'll continue to support AVEN at WorldPride! With that said, I'd like to announce the finalized banner design!

Screen%20shot%202012-05-15%20at%209.47.36%20PM.png

There were a ton of awesome ideas, and we couldn't use them all in the banner, but those that didn't make it into the final banner design may still end up being used elsewhere (as in stickers, pamphlets, or other promotional material). Again, a huge thanks to everyone who submitted!

Yeah, it wasn't easy but I think we all ended up with something that will work fantastically as a banner for this Pride and actually many to come. Congrats to everyone who submitted and there were lots of great ideas and some I think will probably end up on other things.

• 11 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator