Asexuality Powerpoint Presentation

estrella fugaz

estrella fugaz

About a year ago, I did a powerpoint presentation on asexuality at my university's QSA. I was wondering if there is any sort of "official" AVEN powerpoint, and if not, could one be created? I think it would help a lot of people who want to do visibility work to have a ready-made powerpoint that covers the basics. Maybe there could even be one for a basic introduction, and another for a more in-depth look at asexuality.

Thanks for reading! :cake:

EDIT: Here's my presentation: Asexuality.pptx (648 kb)

If anyone has trouble with the .pptx file format, let me know. I can save it as a .ppt if need be and upload that.

EDIT 2: Updated to fix broken link. Now hosted on Google Drive.

Asexuality.pptx (648 KB)

About a year ago, I did a powerpoint presentation on asexuality at my university's QSA. I was wondering if there is any sort of "official" AVEN powerpoint, and if not, could one be created? I think it would help a lot of people who want to do visibility work to have a ready-made powerpoint that covers the basics. Maybe there could even be one for a basic introduction, and another for a more in-depth look at asexuality.

The closest thing I can think of is Asex101, which is by David Jay from several years ago, so it needs updating but the slides are available.

A more recent, unofficial one: Siggy has slides and an outline available from his workshop at the Western Regional LGBTQIA Conference.

It definitely is helpful to pool resources, so if you are willing to share your presentation, that would be fantastic.

estrella fugaz

SirenHolmes: I'm glad you like the idea! :cake:

Castor: I can absolutely link it here! Let's see how long I can get away with hosting it on my school's server! XD

Here's my presentation: Asexuality.pptx (648 kb)

If anyone has trouble with the .pptx file format, let me know. I can save it as a .ppt if need be and upload that.

hexaquark: Thanks for the links! I watched David Jay's video once before, and I was lucky enough to go to the Western Regional LGBTQIA Conference this year and see Siggy's presentation. :cake:

I think this is a wonderful idea as well; you can never have too many educational resources!! :cake:

Of course, we need people to work on it... XD

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing the lovely presentation! :lol:

Also, thank you, hexaquark for the many resources, as I may distribute some at my Pride fest this year. ;)

:cake: :cake: :cake:

Notte stellata

Nice! :cake: :cake: :cake: I may give a lecture on asexuality next semester, and it's great to look at someone else's presentation as a reference!

estrella fugaz

Faelights: I'm glad you like the idea! I got all my info from AVEN, which is why I listed it in the credits. Feel free to adapt it if you want. :cake:

Oxalis: You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it! :cake:

starrynight: Thanks! Good luck with your presentation! :cake:

Oooh, nice powerpoint! There's a lot of information in there. Actually, I feel like there's almost too much information, and it's on the didactic side. But that makes it a good resource.

By the way, Rabger's model is no longer known as such. Rabger reappeared in 2011, and asked the name to be removed because ze didn't like the way the model had been changed from zir original ideas. http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rabger%27s_model

:cake: :cake: :cake: Thanks for posting your slides! I've linked this thread from the masterpost so it won't get lost, let me know if that doesn't work for you.

(And Siggy is right about that model. It was posted on the wiki because it was proposed around the time the wiki was started, but unfortunately whoever posted it did not ask first. I was the one who renamed it in 2011 to try to rectify the issues with this, which wasn't maybe the most elegant solution, but some people value this model, and by virtue of being on the wiki, the concepts in it have become part of asexual dialogue. But that's another topic.)

estrella fugaz

Siggy: Thanks! I really enjoyed your presentation at the WRC. :cake:

Yeah, my powerpoint is definitely very text heavy. I had almost 2 hours to fill, so I tried to make it really detailed. ^^;

Thanks for the update on the name of the model. I've updated the online version to reflect that. I had no idea it had been renamed since I originally made this powerpoint. Since Rabger doesn't want the model in it's current form named after zem, I'll remove all references to zem. If people really want to delve into the history of the model, they can find that info on the wiki. XD

hexaquark: You're welcome! And thank you for adding this to the masterpost! I'm honored to be linked. ^_^

I think that renaming it is a good solution, since removing it completely might cause confusion.

Do you think the model should be left out of the powerpoint entirely? If there are major concerns with the model, it might be better for it to be left out of introductory materials. I'm pretty new to doing visibility/education for asexuality, so I appreciate any suggestions you have. :cake:

Do you think the model should be left out of the powerpoint entirely? If there are major concerns with the model, it might be better for it to be left out of introductory materials. I'm pretty new to doing visibility/education for asexuality, so I appreciate any suggestions you have. :cake:

I think the main strength of the model is that it recognizes that sexual attraction isn’t uniform and sexual desire occurs for diverse reasons, but I think it doesn’t address this in the best way. Mainly because I think these aren’t things you can break down into two neat categories. (Unfortunately, you’d have to ask other people how they really vary, because… I'm asexual).

There is a researcher in the field of asexuality, Mark Carrigan, who has brought up what he terms the ‘sexual assumption’, the assumption that sexual attraction is both universal and uniform. I feel it gets to the point without trying to push categories and is interesting for generating discussion. It’s something that asexuality clearly challenges, and is demonstrated by incredulous reactions that occur when aces come out to some people (“you can’t be asexual, no one is asexual”). But the assumption of uniformity is also something I would like to see people who do experience sexual attraction discuss more.

I've criticized the primary/secondary attraction model in the past, but I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing to include. Many people find the model useful, and that makes it a success in my eyes.

2 hours is plenty of time for a presentation, so maybe there isn't too much information. But I feel that the information is too... dense? It is good to mix the theorizing with some personal experiences and testimony.

estrella fugaz

hexaquark: Oooh, I really like that invisible elephant thing. That's a really cool way of explaining what it's like to try to grasp something you don't have.

The idea of sexual assumption would be a good thing to include in future presentations. Thanks! :cake:

Siggy: Yeah, I know what you mean. The way I actually did the presentation was to go over all the info in the presentation, taking questions about terms, definitions, etc. along the way. Then the last 30-45 minutes was a Q&A section where people could either ask me general questions about asexuality, or specific questions about myself, how I identify, my experiences as asexual, etc. I also strongly encouraged them to check out AVEN and Hot Pieces of Ace in order to get more info and other people's perspectives. In the future I'd like to maybe include some video clips.

Thanks for the feedback! :cake:

Archived