A mysterious countdown appears on the Baldur's Gate website!

Unbanned

So, earlier today/yesterday a 24-hour countdown clock appeared over at the Baldur's Gate website.

This is a series that has lain dormant since 2004, so you are forgiven if you haven't thought about it for a number of years. However, Baldur's Gate and it's sequel continue to be two of the most loved Western RPGs ever made and there is a thriving online community who still regularly release mods for the games. Naturally, this sudden development has caused a great amount of excitement among the community, who hope this countdown will reveal new plans for the third Baldur's Gate game (which was cancelled in 2004). It's more likely that the announcement will be about an HD re-release, or a tablet/smartphone version, but we can still hope!

There is a good article summing up the events so far here.

Are any other AVENites fans of the Baldur's Gate series?

ARE YOU AS EXCITED AS I AM?! :lol:

If that's for a new game (or more likely the announcement of a new game) I may have to get in on that. The first one was slightly before my time.

*raises hand* Baldur's Gate fan here! Ooh, this is exciting indeed~ I can't wait to see what it's about ^o^

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

*finger cramp*

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

Okay, so apparently the announcement is about 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition'. I'm not really sure what it is, but it sounds like a HD remake. Not as exciting as a new Baldur's Gate game, but I will still follow this story to find out what it's all about. At least it sounds like something I can play, unlike a tablet/smartphone version which would have been very lame.

I haven't been able to access the site since the countdown ended, but Joystiq have run an article summing up the announcement.

The site is up and running at this time but it's not like there's a lot of information to be found. It pretty much just says they're remaking both games and the work has begun.

Important quotes for those who haven't checked the site out themselves:

"Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements."

"Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers."

To me, it sounds like a great opportunity to replay the games again... some day when they've been released, that is ;P

I do, however, agree that a new game would've been more exciting. In fact I was already thinking about playing through the games again to be ready for a new game in the series. Oh well (:

I, too, think that a tablet/smartphone/whatnot version would've sucked, so I'm happy that wasn't the announcement.

To me, it sounds like a great opportunity to replay the games again... some day when they've been released, that is ;P

I'm quote pleased as well. For years, I've failed to persuade my brother to try the Baldur's Gate games. This might be my chance to talk him into it! :D

Also, I wonder if we'll see any multiplayer improvements? That's an area of the game that definitely COULD be improved upon. I can't think of many better multiplayer games on paper, but I was never able to get the originals to work with my friends. If they can get it to work with modern systems, I will definitely try and get a party together! ^_^

I love everything forgotten realms :D so I'm a fan of the books mostly

I started the role playing game when my bro lent me his copy

but I never managed to get out of the dudgeon ahahhaha yeah I'm that crappy player LOL

I'm more of a warcraft fan (WoW is okay but I mean the offline games :) )

but I never managed to get out of the dudgeon ahahhaha yeah I'm that crappy player LOL

I found it pretty hard the first time, too.

There's a mod available that skips the first dungeon and gives the player all of the items, gear and experience they'd get if they completed it normally. It's mainly used by people who are replaying the game and want to start in Athkatla rather than that crappy dungeon, but you could use it if you are finding it impossible to escape. :)

Confabulase

There's a mod available that skips the first dungeon and gives the player all of the items, gear and experience they'd get if they completed it normally. It's mainly used by people who are replaying the game and want to start in Athkatla rather than that crappy dungeon, but you could use it if you are finding it impossible to escape. :)

Ohhh. Athkatla. The sequel. I saw the dungeon thing earlier, and was thinking "hey, no, it's Candlekeep at the start!"

Or the Mortuary, if you're playing Torment. I'd love an updated Torment, or another Planescape game. Not a sequel, though, because I like what they did with the Nameless One's story.

that's cool I might ask my bro to give me his copy once more so I can skip that damn dungeon, will it play on my win7? I hope it will

that's cool I might ask my bro to give me his copy once more so I can skip that damn dungeon, will it play on my win7? I hope it will

It should work with Windows 7. ^_^

Some more information has been revealed, mainly over Twitter. This article lists the key information provided so far. Also, according to this GameSpy article, a third Baldur's Gate game is a "long-term goal" which the developers will turn their attention to after these remakes are released.

that's so cool :D

I third that. Horrible dungeon, it took me ages to get out the first time as well xD

I should have known about that mod back then. Oh well.

Also, just a tip if anyone should feel like playing the first game: Look up Tutu. It "upgrades" the graphics, UI, and class options to that of the sequel. Only downside is that it requires the sequel to be installed (possibly the full installation) as far as I remember :x

Also, just a tip if anyone should feel like playing the first game: Look up Tutu. It "upgrades" the graphics, UI, and class options to that of the sequel. Only downside is that it requires the sequel to be installed (possibly the full installation) as far as I remember :x

I've only ever played Baldur's Gate with Tutu. The original UI is just too ugly for me to enjoy.

I've only ever played Baldur's Gate with Tutu. The original UI is just too ugly for me to enjoy.

I actually made an attempt to play it once without Tutu because I wanted to get the, uhm, original feeling of the game. I didn't make it very far before it got on my nerves too much though.

Archived