Not wanting a girlfriend is an illness?

I get the sense that the researcher was talking specifically about people who DO feel romantic attraction, but then subsequently convince themselves that they don't need to pursue a relationship because they have low self-confidence, etc, as DunceHat pointed out, even though they actually want a relationship.

That's the same impression I got, because that's about the only way for it to not sound completely ridiculous.

If someone is legitimately not interested in producing offspring, does anyone really think telling them "but by the time you're old/dead, our country's population will have significantly dropped!" is going to do a damn thing to sway them?

Probably because in society, males are not allowed to be virgins. Feck, even people in their teens are doing it. Next thing y'all know, elementary school-aged kids will start getting into the whole "sex craze" our society is in.

If it matters, from what I heard there were indeed kids (6th graders at least) doing things on the play ground. I did not see it however and this came from a friend who was one year under me. I suppose this would have been 12~13 years ago.

BJ's is what I was told was supposedly going on.

Beware The Demopan

BJ's is what I was told was supposedly going on.

That's sick. Also, that reminds me of this urban legend.