Call for participants for a survey about relationships and coming-out

Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

We recently received the following request from a researcher at Northern Illinois University. After corresponding with the researcher, the Project Team has approved the request. If anyone has any questions about the PT approval process, feel free to PM me. If you have any questions about the study, contact information can be found on the consent form.

Participation is open to people who are at least 18 years of age and who identify anywhere on the ace spectrum.

The purpose of this study is to gather data on relationships, both sexual and romantic, and coming-out experiences for ace-identifying individuals. This study came about because of the marginalization of the asexual community in the available research on human sexuality. It serves the purpose of shedding more light on the community as a whole as well as generating data that could lead to new avenues of research.

The web-based survey is available for ace-identifying individuals who are 18 years or older. It is comprised of 15 questions concerning romantic and sexual experiences, as well as coming-out processes. All participants will remain completely anonymous.

Edit: This survey has been closed as a sufficient number of responses have been collected. On behalf of the researcher, I would like to thank everyone who participated.

Lady Heartilly

Took it, but some of the questions could have been worded better, in my opinion. For instance, I don't know what's considered "mainstream or conventional sexual behavior."

I took the survey, and agree with the Lady Heartilly. I had no earthly idea what was considered "mainstream" or not, so I just defined it in my own way, let him know what my definition was and answered it. I think it'll go over well.

I would also encourage individuals to take the survey. I, for one, am terribly interested in what psychologically differentiates asexuals from other orientations.

I took the survey, and agree with the Lady Heartilly. I had no earthly idea what was considered "mainstream" or not, so I just defined it in my own way, let him know what my definition was and answered it. I think it'll go over well.

I would also encourage individuals to take the survey. I, for one, am terribly interested in what psychologically differentiates asexuals from other orientations.

You can't assume that there is any psychological differentiation.

That was certainly an easy test, but it should have been a bit less easy, with more questions.

Took the survey and agree with the above statements.

Batman's Ace

Took it, but some of the questions could have been worded better, in my opinion. For instance, I don't know what's considered "mainstream or conventional sexual behavior."

Agreed. I gave several different responses (all of them no) depending on possible context. I'm also not certain why those two topics were in the same survey. Wouldn't it have been better to make two separate surveys, each a little more in-depth?

I did appreciate the last question, though.

GirlDreamer

I took it too, but I don't really feel like it was much of a contribution. Guess I agree that it should be more and less easy questions so they would get more out of it.

BaronTheCat

I can't see what questions about sexual arousal has to do with relationships.

I didn't complete the survey (which I never do when they ask about such details).

I did this survey... some days ago. I forget when exactly... they all tend to mush together after a while.

I liked the survey and it was rather nice to type things out as I have just recently come out. This being one of the first topics I looked at allowed me to take a look at my self and my past, almost like looking at the journey now that I'm at the end.

Nomad in Stasis

Yeah, that made no sense, at all.

I took the survey. Since I just found out that I'm asexual, it was easier for me to understand what they meant by "mainstream sexual behavior". I also understand their interest in arousal in a survey about relationships, since sexuals base a lot of emotions and importance on this intimacy. I suppose they're also curious as to how our arousal differs from our activities.

Anyway, I think the psychological differences in asexuals is interesting, too. I'm really interested in asexuals' bodily chemical reactions to pheromones and sexual encounters with their partners. For some, who are aroused in some way by kissing or light touching but turned off by actual sex, I think it's a curious reaction to go from "on" to "off" automatically, and where that line is and may differ between asexuals.

Sorry for rambling (^^')

. . .but there are sounds

I didn't find the questions too bad.

Notte stellata

I interpreted "mainstream or conventional" as "vanilla" or "not kinky", but considering it's for asexuals, maybe it means "real" sex acts as opposed to non-sexual intimacy. Anyway, I wrote what exactly I have done in my answer.

. . .but there are sounds

I interpreted "mainstream or conventional" as "vanilla" or "not kinky", but considering it's for asexuals, maybe it means "real" sex acts as opposed to non-sexual intimacy. Anyway, I wrote what exactly I have done in my answer.

I read it as any masturbation and any other sexual act that does not require 'tools.'

Dragonfly Ace

Yeah, I didn't find the questions too bad. And I also found it kind of nice to type things out. The only question that really threw me was last one. And I don't mind sharing my response. This was the question that asked what aspect of Asexuality I thought researches should study. Here's what I put:

That's a hard question. While I think from a scientific point of view it's worth knowing as much as we can about any subject, now that I've identified as Homo-Romantic Asexual I don't really care whether it's because of something in my DNA or what happened to me as a kid. I'm only interested in finding a way to foster acceptance and hopefully meet someone who I can share my life with, without sex getting in the way.

The one thing I have been growing to accept in the last year is that sexuality is a continuum not little boxes that people fit into. While I identify as Asexual, others might label me as demi-sexual or gray-Asexual because of some fetish behaviors. The end result is that what we're taught about the world and the people in it growing up is a very unrealistic portrayal and for those of us who fall outside the boundaries of "normal" life can be very difficult.

Lord Happy Toast

Enough responses have been collected, and so this survey is now closed. Thank you to everyone who participated.

Archived