40's

On 6/12/2017 at 2:14 PM, Gazelle said:

Does anyone listen to any podcasts they would recommend?  I'm looking for something new.  I already follow several such as TIMC, Invisibilia, Lore, Criminal, etc.

I like Call Your Girlfriend, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Up & Vanished, and Terrible, Thanks for Asking.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2017 at 9:04 PM, OldNews said:

99% Invisible is a great show about architecture and design. Song Exploder has musicians taking apart their songs and saying how they were made. Quirks & Quarks (science) and Under the Influence (advertising) are great shows from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). Lexicon Valley is about English linguistics.

What are your interests? There are probably podcasts related to some of them....

Thanks.  I have heard of 99% Invisible but never listened.  I listen to several history or story telling podcasts currently with a few science based like Natural History, Radiolab and The Infinite Monkey Cage.  I also do several BBC podcasts.  I have just like to learn about new things and listen while I work to block out my coworkers.  Right now I have been doing a few downloaded books, but I usually switch back and forth.

I listen to Grammar Girl but your Lexicon Valley sounds interesting.

• Like 2
On 6/14/2017 at 5:07 AM, PHX said:

I like Call Your Girlfriend, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Up & Vanished, and Terrible, Thanks for Asking.

Thanks.  Stuff You Missed in History Class is one of my favorites.  I tried Call Your Girlfriend for awhile but found it a bit annoying. Have you listened to Death, Sex, and Money?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Gazelle said:

Thanks.  I have heard of 99% Invisible but never listened.  I listen to several history or story telling podcasts currently with a few science based like Natural History, Radiolab and The Infinite Monkey Cage.  I also do several BBC podcasts.  I have just like to learn about new things and listen while I work to block out my coworkers.  Right now I have been doing a few downloaded books, but I usually switch back and forth.

I listen to Grammar Girl but your Lexicon Valley sounds interesting.

I listen to three podcasts about the English Language: Grammar Girl, The Allusionist and Lexicon Valley. All of them are good, but Lexicon Valley goes deeper into linguistics than the others -- it's hosted by a professor of linguistics....

• Like 3

I'm just saying hi after lurking on and off for a bit. I'm 45 but I don't know how I have got to this age.

Partner of nearly 20 years left me last year but to be honest, I always felt I was on borrowed time.

I think I have aspergers too.

And I love the Infinite Monkey Cage podcasts

• Like 4
BobRossRules

Welcome @Debris :cake:  I need to check out some of those podcasts. :)

I had a busy Friday.  I've been working on getting my basement finished, and it's finally completed.  Friday, the furniture and exercise equipment was moved.  It's been in processes since last October.  I still need to get some finishes, but at least it's done.  

Otherwise, my weekend was pretty boring and I've been quite lazy.  I'll take the dogs out and maybe do a mini workout later today.     

• Like 1

Do you used Facebook? I'm trying to decide  should i  use Facebook anymore.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, newgirl said:

Do you used Facebook? I'm trying to decide  should i  use Facebook anymore.

I use it a lot. There are plenty of groups that I read and lots of Facebook-friends who I keep in touch with. I haven't dipped into ace stuff on Facebook very much (yet).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, newgirl said:

I want to start meeting  people  in person not on Facebook..

There are quite a few people that I first met on Facebook, and then later in person. If FB has some decent local-area groups for you, perhaps that might be a good approach?

• Like 1

I' having a hard time finding asexual in my age group and  area who wants to meet offline. I'm stuck.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, newgirl said:

I' having a hard time finding asexual in my age group and  area who wants to meet offline. I'm stuck.

Perhaps you should consider other (non-asexual) meet-ups? Maybe a local group that fits with one of your interests? Just finding people to talk to might help you to feel more connected. Just a thought....

• Like 2
BobRossRules

I live in an area where there's not an Ace community or meetups.  I would have to drive to the nearest big city like Salt Lake.  I agree with @OldNews finding other non-ace similar interests groups might be a way to get some social needs met.  I was thinking about joining a local astronomy club.  

• Like 3

When/where should we meet on Canada Day? We could meet at about 6:00pm, get some vendor-food and then watch some mainstage shows. If we're up for it, we could finish with the fireworks. How does that sound?

Edit: Please ignore this post -- it was intended for a different thread....

Edited by OldNews
Apology for mis-post.
  • Like 1
PeterPanForever
10 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I live in an area where there's not an Ace community or meetups.  I would have to drive to the nearest big city like Salt Lake.  I agree with @OldNews finding other non-ace similar interests groups might be a way to get some social needs met.  I was thinking about joining a local astronomy club.  

If you ever want to go to a concert at the USANA amphitheater in Salt Lake City hit me up and let me know which one. It would be fun to bump into you there!

• Like 2
BobRossRules
9 hours ago, OldNews said:

When/where should we meet on Canada Day? We could meet at about 6:00pm, get some vendor-food and then watch some mainstage shows. If we're up for it, we could finish with the fireworks. How does that sound?

@Mirella, are you joining us?

I'll be in Montreal in October.  Too late? Wrong city? :lol:

• Like 1
BobRossRules
4 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

If you ever want to go to a concert at the USANA amphitheater in Salt Lake City hit me up and let me know which one. It would be fun to bump into you there!

Thanks, next time I'm in the area, I'll let you know.  Not sure if it would be for a concert though.  I'm usually there for a conference or a boring appointment.  And if you ever want to have a home grown potato, and find yourself in Idaho Falls hit me up and we can have a mash potato binge-fest.:D  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I'll be in Montreal in October.  Too late? Wrong city? :lol:

Sorry, I posted that to the wrong thread. Also, October in Montreal is too late and the "wrong" city....

• Like 1
PeterPanForever
4 minutes ago, OldNews said:

Sorry, I posted that to the wrong thread. Also, October in Montreal is too late and the "wrong" city....

Well now that you have our attention, what's up?!? Or are we not cool enough to be invited to your shindig

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Peterson515 said:

Well now that you have our attention, what's up?!? Or are we not cool enough to be invited to your shindig

Just meeting up to see some outdoor shows and possibly fireworks. If you're planning to be in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada on Saturday, please join us! :)

• Like 3
BobRossRules

Hope Canada Day was fun.  I'm planning on staying home on the 4th.  I can see the city's fireworks from my house, at least the big ones.  My neighbors have been setting off fireworks all week.  They actually did a few pretty ones.  My dogs don't seem to mind to much.

o-FIREWORKS-facebook.jpg 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Hope Canada Day was fun.  I'm planning on staying home on the 4th.  I can see the city's fireworks from my house, at least the big ones.  My neighbors have been setting off fireworks all week.  They actually did a few pretty ones.  My dogs don't seem to mind to much.

o-FIREWORKS-facebook.jpg 

Definitely fun -- thanks for asking! I went to some shows and things on my own, then a bunch of us met up for dinner, more shows and fireworks.

• Like 3

Nice fireworks pic, @faraday☘.  We just had a delightful little thunderstorm that watered the earth.  That smell after the rain is permeating my surroundings right now.  I want to seize the opportunity to mow the grass while the dust has settled.  It has been sooo dry around here last month.   

• Like 3

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're a person of color and use Facebook,Facebook has  been banning/disable  people of color account so be on the look out . For over 7 months, people of color users  have been complaining about being ban from Facebook and  because Facebook tech support  is run by robots not humans, no quick resolve to this issue.,

If you're a victims, I would check out  and use  other social media google plus, Twitter, blacqspot or just stick to AVEN.. I think what is going on with Facebook is very strange

BobRossRules
20 hours ago, newgirl said:

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're a person of color and use Facebook,Facebook has  been banning/disable  people of color account so be on the look out . For over 7 months, people of color users  have been complaining about being ban from Facebook and  because Facebook tech support  is run by robots not humans, no quick resolve to this issue.,

If you're a victims, I would check out  and use  other social media google plus, Twitter, blacqspot or just stick to AVEN.. I think what is going on with Facebook is very strange

That is very strange?

• Like 1

Faraday,

People are saying it's happening to everyone but  Facebook needs to do something.

• Like 1

Hello All!  First time posting to one of the forums.

Like birdybudge, I was a teen in the 80s and remember only Morrissey ever mentioning asexuality. I'll be 47 this year, currently divorcing my male husband (heterosexual to a T) of 13 years, and only in the past year and a half, did I come across the AVEN site and realize... Oh... My... God... Why did no one tell me THIS was an option?  Now that I'm near the precipice of my newly divorced life, free to be my authentic self, I'm reaching out to the ace/queer community for understanding and acceptance and companionship.  

--Bi-romantic, Lesbian-leaning, grey Ace

--Mommy of a toddler (one and done)

• Like 8

Welcome, @2bContent! I'm 42 now -- I was 40 when I first read about asexuality. I've never gone anywhere close to romance or dating, but your post still resonates for me....

• Like 2
Skycaptain

@2bContent. Welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

• Like 1