40's

On 3/15/2017 at 6:51 PM, GeoAmy said:

If you're near houston and would like to meet some aces in Houston, we have a meetup group that's pretty active- 1-2 meetups per month.  We try to make them budget and introvert friendly (or at least the ones I organize are).

https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Asexuals-Meetup/

I used to live in Houston, about 15 years ago. I never had trouble finding other asexuals or asexual-sympathetic people to talk to in Houston so it does not surprise me to find there's an active meet-up there now. 

Where i live now (I prefer not to disclose for now), it's smaller, more socially conservative and just more...ugh. I never meet anyone I would even suspect as asexual here. I really miss hanging out with other people on my wavelength. I need to move. If only i had the money. 

• Like 1
BobRossRules

@NeoAngelic, Hi there and welcome!!  I too live in a small and quite conservative area.  I haven't met (or suspected) anyone who was asexual either where I live.  

I've been out of town this week visiting Ogden Utah!!  Such a cute little city.  :)

• Like 1

@NeoAngelic, welcome! I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling to find people in your community. That's never easy. I hope our online community can be something of a proxy and make things just a bit easier for you....

• Like 1
On 4/1/2017 at 1:49 AM, NeoAngelic said:

I used to live in Houston, about 15 years ago. I never had trouble finding other asexuals or asexual-sympathetic people to talk to in Houston so it does not surprise me to find there's an active meet-up there now. 

Where i live now (I prefer not to disclose for now), it's smaller, more socially conservative and just more...ugh. I never meet anyone I would even suspect as asexual here. I really miss hanging out with other people on my wavelength. I need to move. If only i had the money. 

NeoAngelic, I'm impressed you knew aces 15 years ago!  There wasn't much visibility back then.  Bummer you are in a more conservative area now.  Even though the aces here are generally in their 20's, it's still nice chatting in person with people that get it.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2012 at 4:53 AM, Aspiecat said:

Had my nose re-pierced yesterday....ouchie! But great to have the piercing back in place. Today, saw my tattoo chap and have discussed the final part of my design, which will be done in one fell swoop in the next week or so!

Who said being in one's 40s is boring?!?

I'm excited for you about your tattoo. I have a mercury foot on my ankle and plan to get a bird in the somewhat near future. What is your tattoo of?

• Like 1
BobRossRules

Welcome @Blue Heron!!  That post from @Aspiecat was from over 5 years ago.  However, I bet the tattoo turned out awesome!

I have a few myself.  One is a flower, the other is a penguin, and I also have a solar system thingie of how the planets were aligned during the movement of my birth.  Good luck with your tattoos, birds make cool tattoos.:D  

• Like 1

@faraday☘ I'm slowly figuring out how this chat room thing works. I didn't figure out the date of the post till after I replied. Oops. The planetary alignment tattoo sounds cool. That is such a neat idea. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TKorrigan

He ya'll I am so glad there is a whole section here just for us older aces. I was reading through posts in other rooms and it is amazing how many kids in there teens and 20's are on this site and also it makes me feel old... I'm not much of a forum user, but going to give this a try so I can hopefully meet some other like-minded people.

• Like 2

Welcome, @TKorrigan! I think many of us sympathize with you about how young AVEN can feel. We've been pretty quiet lately, but that can change quite quickly. Pull up a front porch and join us!

• Like 2

Oh I've got my front porch seat and a bucket of popcorn @OldNews.

Learning so much from reading these forums. I think all the labels are a bit much, but maybe that's just my age showing.

• Like 4
Skycaptain

@TKorriganwelcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂. 

If you want "labels" go to a gender debate in hotbox when one kicks off:P

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@TKorriganwelcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂. 

If you want "labels" go to a gender debate in hotbox when one kicks off:P

Haha, I took a class a couple years back called 'women in comedy' and I was so lost throughout the semester. I guess it was oriented to the younger feminist generation, I can only imagine what it would be like sitting through a gender debate, I would need more popcorn and probably some cake. :cake:

• Like 3

Hello! I just realized this forum was on here...I am 41! I feel like a lot of internet forums skew toward the young side, so I am glad to find y'all.

• Like 4
Skycaptain

@PHX. Welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

There are a few of us in the 40s, but other threads are often busier 

• Like 1
PeterPanForever

Dropping by to say hello to my kindreds. Hope all is well  and wishing you well   :)   

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
On 4/1/2017 at 7:55 AM, faraday☘ said:

@NeoAngelic, Hi there and welcome!!  I too live in a small and quite conservative area.  I haven't met (or suspected) anyone who was asexual either where I live.  

I've been out of town this week visiting Ogden Utah!!  Such a cute little city.  :)

What the hell Faraday?!?! You're in my neck of the woods and you don't stop by to say hello????  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It's because I'm a total psycho weirdo isn't it?!?!   Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1
BobRossRules
17 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

What the hell Faraday?!?! You're in my neck of the woods and you don't stop by to say hello????  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It's because I'm a total psycho weirdo isn't it?!?!   Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I didn't know you are in Ogden.  I'm kind of a psycho too, so that's not it.  Next time I'm around, I'll let you know.  If you're ever in Idaho...let me know, we can have a meetup or something.  

• Like 1
BobRossRules

Welcome @TKorrigan & @PHX!!

There are good amount of us 40s here on AVEN, but it's true that this thread isn't as active as others.  Lately, I've been quite busy and haven't been posting.  I'm hoping to do some catching up.

I hope everyone is having a good week!  This Saturday I plan on going to the farmer's market and getting some yummy veggies and fruit.  Otherwise, it will be another lonely and lazy weekend.   

Thanks @faraday☘!

Your weekends sound about as fun as mine, though I have older kids that come around once in a while to help entertain me. Rare farmers markets visits for me though since I live on one and we grow a lot of our own stuff, though lately people have gotten a bit lazy and there isn't as much produce as there once was.

• Like 1
PeterPanForever
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I didn't know you are in Ogden.  I'm kind of a psycho too, so that's not it.  Next time I'm around, I'll let you know.  If you're ever in Idaho...let me know, we can have a meetup or something.  

I'm actually 50 miles away, but that's close enough, lol.   :D     

• Like 1

Hello!  Haven't been on for awhile because I have been super busy. Hoping to change that.

• Like 2
BobRossRules
16 hours ago, Gazelle said:

Hello!  Haven't been on for awhile because I have been super busy. Hoping to change that.

When I get overwhelmed and busy, I tend to give social media a break!:o

• Like 3
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

When I get overwhelmed and busy, I tend to give social media a break!:o

Definitely understand that. :blink:

• Like 1
birdybudge

So I thought I'd drop in here to make my first post. :) 

Hello!  I'm birdybudge, and I'm 47.  I've been aware of this site for a while now, but have only just got around to signing up.

I hope all of my fellow-40s are doing well!  It's a good age bracket to be in.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, birdybudge said:

So I thought I'd drop in here to make my first post. :) 

Hello!  I'm birdybudge, and I'm 47.  I've been aware of this site for a while now, but have only just got around to signing up.

I hope all of my fellow-40s are doing well!  It's a good age bracket to be in.

Welcome! Glad to have you join us.:cake:

• Like 1
Skycaptain

@birdybudgewelcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

Hey birdy!I get so happy to see new people in their 40s and older here. I think because the asexual identity has only existed a short time, the younger folk have quite a different experience than we did. Growing up knowing something was different-- but no idea what it was or if anyone else felt this way. Personally I had no idea asexuality existed before I was nearly 40.

I think there are many older ace folk out there, but they have no idea because it's not talked about, and there are several misconceptions about what it means. So, many times in asexual groups and discussions, I'm way older than everyone around me. That's kind of awkward sometimes. Maybe you relate?

so yay! Welcome. So glad you're here!

• Like 5
birdybudge

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. :)

@Velma  Yes, I do relate.  As a teen in the 80s, I was only dimly aware that asexuality was a thing.  Morrissey was singing and talking about the topic, but he was very much a lone beacon!  I wasn't sure what or who I was back then.  Was I straight?  If so, why wasn't I interested in any guys?  Was I a lesbian, then?  Oh no, this wasn't working either!  What am I?!  (Cue a series of dating catastrophes.)  Roll onwards through my 30s, still trying to figure things out.  It's only now in my 40s that I've reached a point where I'm fully aware of, and comfortable with, my asexuality.  Kids today have so much more information readily available, and in that respect they're so fortunate.

• Like 5

Ha! As a teen in the late 60s/early 70s it was all about "sex, drugs and rock & roll". There was no one talking or singing about asexuality. Dimly aware? No, we were totally in the dark back then (in the dark ages?). :P But yeah, different generations have different experiences growing up around the subject (or lack thereof), and the younger ones do have more access to information on the matter.

(just popping in from the "over 50" thread to say "welcome to AVEN and have some :cake: ")

• Like 4