40's

BobRossRules

Thanks @Peterson515 My weekend was good.  I accomplished a lot.  

I have a work-related social gathering this Friday, which could be fun.  Hopefully my social anxiety won't prevent me from going.  At least it's with people I'm comfortable around.  I missed the last one due to a snow storm. 

@newgirl Sorry about your medication!  I will send you some cool vibes from Idaho.  It was in the low 80s today and breezy.    

• Like 2

I had a cool thing happen this weekend.  I had lunch with a coworker on saturday.  I've known her a few years, but never really hung out.  I had some suspicions that she might be ace.  I had a chance to come out to her during our 4 hour lunch and not only did she know what asexual was but also basically admitted she is too!  She didn't use the label but did admit that she has 0 interest and sex and won't likely marry.  We agreed we should hang out more.  :D

My cable and internet were out saturday night, so I went to see The Big Sick.  I enjoyed the movie and thought it was nicely done.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, GeoAmy said:

I had a cool thing happen this weekend.  I had lunch with a coworker on saturday.  I've known her a few years, but never really hung out.  I had some suspicions that she might be ace.  I had a chance to come out to her during our 4 hour lunch and not only did she know what asexual was but also basically admitted she is too!  She didn't use the label but did admit that she has 0 interest and sex and won't likely marry.  We agreed we should hang out more.  :D

My cable and internet were out saturday night, so I went to see The Big Sick.  I enjoyed the movie and thought it was nicely done.

I'm glad someone is having  luck meeting people offline

• Like 1

Thanks for all those clips. Love it.

I totally avoided my end of term leaving do thing last Friday but interesting what you said GeoAmy, about chatting to a work colleague...I've never considered other (real!) people being asexual, wherever they fall on the spectrum, but today I was chatting to someone and I did wonder - not enough to say anything, but  just wondered... I think that this forum has opened my mind a little further :D

Must be tough being in the States, newgirl. You're all so far apart.

• Like 2
BobRossRules

In the States, we all so far apart!!  There are a few AVENites that are only a few hours away from me.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Debris said:

Thanks for all those clips. Love it.

I totally avoided my end of term leaving do thing last Friday but interesting what you said GeoAmy, about chatting to a work colleague...I've never considered other (real!) people being asexual, wherever they fall on the spectrum, but today I was chatting to someone and I did wonder - not enough to say anything, but  just wondered... I think that this forum has opened my mind a little further :D

Must be tough being in the States, newgirl. You're all so far apart.

Yes it's very tough  living in Northern California and being over 40. Most of the asexual  are under 30 and the aces over 40.they do not want to talk online or meet offline.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, newgirl said:

Yes it's very tough  living in Northern California and being over 40. Most of the asexual  are under 30 and the aces over 40.they do not want to talk online or meet offline.

I'm by far the oldest ace in Houston that has been at meets.  A few are in their 30s and the majority in their 20's.  Normally I don't like the younger kids, but the female ace youngsters tend to be pretty mature and I've made a couple of really good friend through the meetups.  The only rub is that money can be a bit of an issue and most seem to still live at home.  While this isn't ideal, I still appreciate having like minded camaraderie.  The work friend is early 30's.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, GeoAmy said:

I'm by far the oldest ace in Houston that has been at meets.  A few are in their 30s and the majority in their 20's.  Normally I don't like the younger kids, but the female ace youngsters tend to be pretty mature and I've made a couple of really good friend through the meetups.  The only rub is that money can be a bit of an issue and most seem to still live at home.  While this isn't ideal, I still appreciate having like minded camaraderie.  The work friend is early 30's.

I've only physically  been around  other asexual 2 times  in my life and the other times online. I had fun meeting all ages at the Los Angeles and Sacramento meetup but there is nothing like  talking to people who were born in your  generation. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, newgirl said:

I had fun meeting all ages at the Los Angeles

I remember meeting you that one time in LA (you had a guy friend with you).

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, daveb said:

I remember meeting you that one time in LA (you had a guy friend with you).

I had fun meeting everybody in person and sorry to say, my sexual male friend is  still around somewhere (LOL). 

• Like 3
BobRossRules

What a small world.  That's cool that @daveb and @newgirl got a chance to meet!!:D

I attended a meetup in Boise last year, twice.  I met 2 other AVENites and it was super fun.  Then in the summer, I attended a meetup in London, and there were several AVENites there including @daveb!!  That was pretty sweet!!  I wish I could attend more meetups.  

• Like 2

How about a meetup in Reykjavik in a couple of weeks? :D 

10 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

That's cool that @daveb and @newgirl got a chance to meet!

Yeah, it was one of the few LA area meetups I ever went to. :)

• Like 2
15 hours ago, daveb said:

Yeah, it was one of the few LA area meetups I ever went to. :)

Wow, I can not believe that  Los Angeles meetup was over 5 years ago, things has changed over there.  All i remember  about  that meetup, I should have taken a doggy bag because the food was good, i  talk to  you, Apop, Happy Spirit, Woodworker1969 and some other members.  I wonder what happen to Happy Spiirt. these LA organizer  and some embers now  i  do not recognizes  and  some are rude.

P.S I  was  in LA /Orange county area  April 1st  and  I could of met some  members but like I said, some  LA members  are rude .I'm trying to behave myself.  

• Like 2
BobRossRules
20 hours ago, daveb said:

Yes, I'll be there with bells on!!

• Like 2
PeterPanForever

I am trying my luck cooking bbq cajun chicken legs tonight. First time. I have a very good feeling about this   :)    

• Like 2
PeterPanForever

I started college 4 years ago at 39 and will be graduating in December

• Like 3

Long time not posted in this one.

I was finaly able to make my spinal cord tingle past week-end and again past night (early morning actually). It's still faint and will take time to have it properly controlled but it felt amazing being able to finaly sense, feel and stimulate that nerve through thought.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, newgirl said:

Has anybody went back to college ? I'm wondering should i go back.

I did. I got my graduate degree when I was 40. There are more and more people going back to college later in life. If you are wondering about it I would encourage you to look into it. Then you can decide whether or not to go for it.

• Like 3

I'd love to do some proper accredited learning, maybe even retrain - still got min 23 years of compulsory work ahead of me - although I don't know what in. (I say "retrain" as if I'm actually trained in something - I'm not.) I often dream about working in a bookshop while on a creative writing course, although I hate letting people read my stuff so that kind of defeats the object.

I remember at uni when I was 19/20, there was a mature student on the course and we were all shocked. What was she doing there? She was ancient. Probably 40 something. I think I'd feel better about going back to learning now than I felt about mature students back then, if that makes sense.

Go for it, newgirl 8)

And hello nidwin from Luxembourg. I don't your history but your post sounds good news for you...

• Like 3
BobRossRules

I went back to school later too.  I'm glad I did!!  @newgirl go for it!!

@Nidwin congratulations!! Did you have an injury?  

@Peterson515 good luck with the bbq cajun chicken! 

I'm home just finishing up some projects before I go out tonight.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, newgirl said:

Has anybody went back to college ? I'm wondering should i go back.

There's no expiration date on playing the college card.  In grad school, there was one man whom we would all routinely find in our English classes, sitting amongst the students.  He was 70.  He wasn't working toward a degree -- he just wanted to learn about literature and writing.  In our actual grad school group/class, one woman was 39 with two children and married. She was a teaching assistant, too, just like the rest of us.  

I teach College Composition and Technical Writing at a local community college.  I've taught Creative Writing, as well.  In all of the classes, there is a mix of ages and backgrounds.  One student in my Tech Writing course this summer is in his first year of college ever -- and we recently realized we graduated high school together!  That makes him 46 years old.  And many of my students are older than me.

I was accepted into a really cool BioEthics program at 43 ... and then learned I was pregnant and had to decline the acceptance... SEE WHAT SEX GETS YOU!!?? :angry:  (Kidding... I love my son to death and am so grateful that I have him... and now I can fully be myself and no longer let any societal pressures push me to have sex against my own desires.  Yipeeeee!!!!!!!)

Speaking as a college instructor, I say that as long as you really want to be there, as long as you want to learn and want to do the work, then sign right up!  Find a program that inspires you, with job prospects that inspire you, and then go get 'em, sister.

• Like 4
PeterPanForever

Cherries are on sale again, so I had to indulge...again.

The chicken turned out super yummy, at least compared to the hot dogs and top ramen I normally eat because I live like a 9 year old who was abandoned by his parents. I think though that next time I might use just a tad more Cajun. 

• Like 2

I bought some cherries today. I don't know when was the last time I had cherries; probably ages ago.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's because they're from the grocery store, but they don't have much of a taste. If this is what cherries are like I don't know what the big deal about them is. :P 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Poppin' cherries?

You beat me to the joke :P:P

@daveb, you must have been unlucky, cherries normally have a fairly strong, sweet flavour 

• Like 2

I'm fine, no worries. I only have that weird ability since pre-puberty, to provoke tingling sensations on parts of my body, controlled paresthesia. I although never thought about trying to stimulate my spinal cord.

• Like 1
BobRossRules

Hi everyone!  I'm off to Iceland next week!  I'm really excited.  I'm looking forward to beautiful scenery, and hanging out with a friend!  It will be a nice break from the hot weather too.  This weekend I'm organizing all my stuff that I'll pack.

I hope everyone is doing well.  Any fun weekend plans?   

• Like 3

I'm 42, and for me it is just another year. I love life and and celebrate it one day at a time. The older I get, the more fun I have. I've been lucky though. Will I get older and one day die, yes, but I've already nearly died twice, because of a health condition I was born with. Life is too short to worry, or stress about it ending. I do my best to enjoy every moment like it could be my last. I have this saying that i stole from a comedian, "I live on island time, I will get there when I get there". I take time to waste moments, to laugh, smell the flowers, enjoy the company of those close to me, go on trips..what ever whim catches my attention. There is too much beauty in the world to ignore it worrying about tomorrow.

• Like 5