40's

BobRossRules

I enjoyed church for the social aspect of it, especially when I was involved with a youth group.  However, being agnostic/atheist, I felt like a hypocrite.  I suppose it would be a good place to pick up dudes.:lol:  However, anyone who's my age and single has a ton of kids and I'm not ready for that kind responsibility (or baggage).  I can take on a few dogs and cats, but no humans.    

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
38 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I enjoyed church for the social aspect of it, especially when I was involved with a youth group.  However, being agnostic/atheist, I felt like a hypocrite.  I suppose it would be a good place to pick up dudes.:lol:  However, anyone who's my age and single has a ton of kids and I'm not ready for that kind responsibility (or baggage).  I can take on a few dogs and cats, but no humans.    

The Mormon Faith here, they are really into it. Like, in a weird cult-like way sometimes. About twice a week two Mormon missionaries will come to my door to ask me some questions and try to get me to enlist. When I was contemplating joining for social reasons it made me feel like a fraud, for two reasons. The first reason is that as a community they are quite conservative, which is why Utah is a conservative stronghold, and hasn't voted Democrat in over 50 years. I am not conservative. The second reason has to do with their religious ideology, I don't believe it. I feel like this would create within me multiple personalities. The person I am in these social situations, and the person I am when I am by myself. The truth always comes out in the end. I'm just better off being a child of the Kosmos and following the path beneath my feet, not buying into any religious dogma, and just being myself. 

Not wanting kids is another factor why I don't date the locals. 

• Like 3
PeterPanForever

About two or three weeks ago I sent a request to join that Facebook asexual group and they never accepted my request, so I guess that I'm just not good enough. Figures. Assholes. 

• Like 1

I was raised catholic and like 10 years ago started going to the young adults program they were having at my local church.  Mostly I went as a social opportunity and to make new friends.  The group fell apart and I started to loose interest in organized religion (I never really was religious and the few friends I made found boy friends and go married).  Once realizing I was ace 4 years ago, i really started to see I didn't fit in (I'm also a scientist and a feminist).  I never wanted children and it would be weird to tell a priest I'm not interested in sex so therefore I'm not going to be "fruitful and multiply" (you have to meet with a priest and do classes to marry in the catholic church).  Then I moved to australia where I really realized how little value religion was providing me.  I instinctively know how to be a good person and don't need an out of touch old white guy telling me how to live.  I'm glad to no longer living a lie and trying to justify being part of a religion.  They just don't make sense to me and all generally have a goal of making money sadly (look up Joel Osteen of Lakewood church in houston:evil:).  I'm ok if others want to go that route, but it's not for me.  

We have a fairly active ace group in houston.  If anyone ever finds themselves in Houston, look me up!  I love meeting aces from far away (and not so far away) places!  

• Like 3
BobRossRules
14 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

About two or three weeks ago I sent a request to join that Facebook asexual group and they never accepted my request, so I guess that I'm just not good enough. Figures. Assholes. 

I guess you win some and lose some.:lol:  At least you're welcome here!!

@GeoAmy I agree with the whole organized religion.  When I used to attend church so many of the people were self-righeous and unaccepting.  It made going to church miserable.  Just like high school, there was clicks and conflict, and oh the drama!  I was more comfortable attending a non-demonnational church.  I found them to be more accepting and kind.  I haven't attended any kind of church in many years.  

I would like to find some local clubs or something.  I haven't yet explored other online communities.  

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

I'm not a fan of Facebook but asexual should check out or start groups at other sites like meetup,twitter or  google plus.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, GeoAmy said:

I instinctively know how to be a good person

This made me laugh lots. Are you sure you didn't go to a church school and you just erased it from your memory because how else do kids learn about morals and turn into kind, caring citizens?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Debris said:

This made me laugh lots. Are you sure you didn't go to a church school and you just erased it from your memory because how else do kids learn about morals and turn into kind, caring citizens?

Morals can be learned without bringing religion into it. There have also been studies to show that even some animals have a sense of justice, fairness, and other attributes that are often the basis of morality. And most people don't go out of their way to do many things we think of as immoral, even as babies. So I believe there are some innate qualities that predispose most of us to being good people. And then learn, through various means, more about morality as we grow. :)

• Like 5

@Debris Catholics don't have church school ^_^  But I did do 8 years of catholic grade school...

• Like 2
BobRossRules

I'd like to think that there is good in all of us.  Sure there are some bad people, but as a whole, I think people want to do the right thing.  Sometimes they make bad choices.  I can see kindness in my pets, especially my dogs.  My guide dog surprises me and protects me even with things she's not trained to do.  My other dogs share toys with each other.  When Marybeth was a puppy, my yellow lab would always let her win at tug-a-war.  It was cute.  Now that she is a big girl, she doesn't get that luxury anymore.:)

I have a busy weekend with lots of chores.  I'm being lazy now and will continue to be lazy this evening.:D  

• Like 2

Sorry. I knew as soon as the words left my fingers that sarcasm is usually difficult to get across in written form. 

I'm all in agreement at being instinctively good - although I think some might be bad too, not just down to upbringing, societal influences etc - I was trying to imply that over here, certainly, church schools suggest that your kids will only be brought up with good morals if they go to those sort of schools, otherwise they're doomed. Ie without religion to guide you, you're just basically morally inept.

Sorry if it looked like anything else...it's a discussion that fascinates me but I don't always express myself as I'd like to!

• Like 3

@Debris  Don't worry- I totally picked up on your sarcasm and continued to play along :ph34r:  I too tend to be quite sarcastic but understand how sometimes it gets missed.  No offense taken here!

You are correct that religions do rely on this notion that morals need to be taught and people need reminding of them.  Maybe some people are like this (or they're led to believe this?), but most people know how to be good I think. 

• Like 3
BobRossRules

I caught the sarcasm too.  I agree, however, it's more difficult to come across in the written word versus when you're interacting with someone.  I have a very sarcastic personality, and I think sometimes I struggle knowing when enough is enough.  

I'm glad the weekend is here!!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I caught the sarcasm too.  I agree, however, it's more difficult to come across in the written word versus when you're interacting with someone.  I have a very sarcastic personality, and I think sometimes I struggle knowing when enough is enough

Lol

I've been know to be tactless on more than one occasion - completely unintentionally, which maybe is worse?!

Anyway, yes, weekend is here, nachos have been purchased and the tennis is on. Happy days.

• Like 2

I think the trick is to drop all defenses when reading something online.  Avoid infusing the words with our own judgment and emotional baggage.  Read it just as it is, and avoid reacting to it from a place of anxiety.  If we all do that, then we can all speak (write) freely, be ourselves, and develop a better understanding of the quirky group of individuals that we are.

Here, have some cake. :cake:

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
On 7/13/2017 at 5:35 AM, faraday☘ said:

I guess you win some and lose some.:lol:  At least you're welcome here!!

@GeoAmy I agree with the whole organized religion.  When I used to attend church so many of the people were self-righeous and unaccepting.  It made going to church miserable.  Just like high school, there was clicks and conflict, and oh the drama!  I was more comfortable attending a non-demonnational church.  I found them to be more accepting and kind.  I haven't attended any kind of church in many years.  

I would like to find some local clubs or something.  I haven't yet explored other online communities.  

Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, thank you for saying that I am welcome here   :)    I know that I can be a bit of a handful and I run my mouth a lot more than I should and I have been somewhat depressed and grumpy lately, but still, AVEN is the only place where I feel accepted, maybe not by everyone, but by enough. So what you just said matters to me :) 

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
On 7/13/2017 at 2:18 PM, Debris said:

I knew you were being sarcastic, but sadly, this is what many still believe and it makes me angry. I just finished a course in the Philosophy of Religion and it was one of two courses I took online for the summer semester. Because it was an online course a very large part of our grade was based on discussion posts and public dialogue. It saddens me to know that there are still many, many, many people who believe that our sense of morality is developed via the authority of the Church. As I live in a religious state, this is part of the dominant ideology and belief system of the local population. It deeply saddened me how the majority of the people in the course used the dichotomy of good and evil to reclassify half of the population as being "good" and the other half of the population as "wicked." This seriously breaks my heart. And what bothered me even further is how dismissive the professor was in addressing this ignorant and dangerous mentality. By not addressing it, the students just reinforced one another's ideological beliefs that half the population is good and the other half of the population is wicked. Sometimes I amuse myself with the irony, but other times it just saddens me and breaks my heart that this line of thinking just won't die. It is alive and well, and being passed along to a new generation of confused fuckwads. 

• Like 4
PeterPanForever
On 7/13/2017 at 6:33 PM, GeoAmy said:

@Debris Catholics don't have church school ^_^  But I did do 8 years of catholic grade school...

From preschool to halfway through my fourth grade year I attended a Christian Academy. There was some kind of argument and disagreement that happened within the institution and parents began pulling their kids out of school left and right and transferring them to the public school. I enjoyed the move even though it was weird to me at first, the changes, and I was also academically behind and that affected my enthusiasm for education until I entered my thirties, discovered Ken Wilber, and a newfound love of learning. 

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
On 7/13/2017 at 7:20 PM, faraday☘ said:

I'd like to think that there is good in all of us.  Sure there are some bad people, but as a whole, I think people want to do the right thing.  Sometimes they make bad choices.  I can see kindness in my pets, especially my dogs.  My guide dog surprises me and protects me even with things she's not trained to do.  My other dogs share toys with each other.  When Marybeth was a puppy, my yellow lab would always let her win at tug-a-war.  It was cute.  Now that she is a big girl, she doesn't get that luxury anymore.:)

I have a busy weekend with lots of chores.  I'm being lazy now and will continue to be lazy this evening.:D  

I appreciate that you have so much love in your life. Btw, service dogs are AMAZING

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
23 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I caught the sarcasm too.  I agree, however, it's more difficult to come across in the written word versus when you're interacting with someone.  I have a very sarcastic personality, and I think sometimes I struggle knowing when enough is enough.  

I'm glad the weekend is here!!

I am so bad about being sarcastic online and I have tried to quit many, many times, even as recently as last week, but sadly, I just can't stop. It reminds me of the Sarcastaball episode of South Park which I watched while pent up in a hotel room a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
11 hours ago, Debris said:

Anyway, yes, weekend is here, nachos have been purchased and the tennis is on. Happy days.

YUM! yum, yum, yum, yum

• Like 1
BobRossRules

I've learned many life lessons from South Park, especially pertaining to Mormons!  After all, they're the only ones to successfully make it to heaven.  

• Like 1

I think I'm usually good at picking up on sarcasm in person (and engage in it myself), but I find it harder to pick up online/in written form. :P 

• Like 4
PeterPanForever
2 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I've learned many life lessons from South Park, especially pertaining to Mormans!  After all, they're the only ones to successfully make it to heaven.  

Hahahahahaaaaaa, yes, I watched that episode too, lol, where Satan condemns Saddam Hussein to an eternity in Heaven, lol.   :D    I don't have a tv where I live and for entertainment I mostly just watch movies via putlockers. Whenever I am staying in a hotel I will watch tv but it is impossible to find something that will capture my attention because I am sort of out of the know, and so I usually just leave the tube on whatever channel South Park is on, and at night it seems to be on A LOT. I bet that in a weeks time I probably watched nearly thirty episodes, lol.     :D    

• Like 1
BobRossRules

I spelled Mormon wrong:lol: 

I don't think I could stop being sarcastic.  I tried.  There was a lady at work that was friendly toward me, but I often offended her.  So I tried to not joke around her, but then she assumed that I was mad at her.  She was kinda off, and was dealing with lots of personal problems.  Anyway, despite trying, I was not myself.  She has since quit (not because of me). Now I can be my sarcastic self.  Pretty much everyone at my work now has the same sense of humor, so I don't offend anyone (at least I don't think so).     

• Like 3
PeterPanForever

• Like 3
BobRossRules

@Peterson515I almost posted that South Park one!!  So I'm glad you did.  There is a funny one relate to that, is like an outtake of Stan.  

I got all my chores done and I ran some errands.  I'm going to a friends house for some burgers.  I'm the 3rd wheel (as usual).  I'm bringing the ice cream🍦so all is good in the universe.  

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!:D

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

@Peterson515I almost posted that South Park one!!  So I'm glad you did.  There is a funny one relate to that, is like an outtake of Stan.  

I got all my chores done and I ran some errands.  I'm going to a friends house for some burgers.  I'm the 3rd wheel (as usual).  I'm bringing the ice cream🍦so all is good in the universe.  

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!:D

Hope you're enjoying your weekend Faraday! Sending you good vibes!

• Like 2

MAN! My diabetes  oral medication side effect is kicking my BUTT aand it's 3 digits in California

• Like 1