• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator and Project Team: Voting   11/01/17

Voting has started. See:     http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163513-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163514-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-gray-area-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163513-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
newgirl

40's

newgirl

Are you in your 40's? Do you feel being in your 40's is a turning point?

lux

Of course,yes,it is,for me it was the begginning of the second part of my life.

Erin D

I'm 52. My 40's didn't really hit me in any way. My 50's is saying to me, 60 is comeing up fast and that has got me thinking, add 20 years which knowing how fast the last 20 went by, now my antena is up.

Randidi

Yes, things fell apart for me in my 40s. I started selling off everything I owned.. it's almost as if I started preparing for my own death.

However, I was in slightly longer than a decade abusive relationship, and I think I was actually going through ITS death, not mine.

I think in your 40s, you first become acquainted with your own mortality, and the fact that youth is over. My Ex used to say all my angst and such was just because I was entering my 40s, but then he liked to dismiss anything I felt or thought, so i can't take that too seriously.

In any case, it's better to hit your forties in your forties, and not later, I think! I think some people (women?) don't hit it until they're in their 50s or 60s.

blackwingsblackheart

Well, I finally feel like an adult at 44. Still trying to figure out how that happened ^_^ . Partly, I guess, because all the "real adults" (my parents and aunts/uncles) have died, and partly because I'm the breadwinner of the household, by dint of being the only fully-employed person. I miss the enthusiasm and wide-open potential of my youth, when I thought I was going to become a great writer, but I think I've traded it for a certain amount of groundedness and humility that might even pass for wisdom if I don't say too much.

Frankentan

I'll be 63 in a couple of days - and I really, really have to think hard about how many years have passed...I wonder where all that time has gone.

LuvHuggS

Apart from slightly less vision and stiffing joints, nope I 40's not feeling all that different to last years 39. Still waiting for all that wisdom etc to kick in! :D :)

Aspiecat

I'm 43 and feel....hm....around late 20s, maybe early 30s. I dunno, really. I have a hard time discerning how old I ought to feel, to be honest.

I have never had an issue saying how old I am, although people *do* rather assume things of people - women especially, perhaps? - who are in their 40s. Our parents' generation really were, in their 40s, older than we are in ours. Plus, my birth mother, who is 20 years older than I, looks about ten years younger than she is, and I have those 'gee, you're older than you look' genes. So it's not so weird when I act younger than I am (which admittedly happens often hehehe).

It's even possible that I have found someone who is incredibly important to me, and the 43 years I have lived have been worth the wait.

Beachwalker

I'll be 63 in a couple of days - and I really, really have to think hard about how many years have passed...I wonder where all that time has gone.

Happy Birthday

Beachwalker

Happy Birthday

Woops forgot the cake :cake::cake::cake::cake:

Aspiecat

Hope you had a great birthday - many happy returns of the day, peiagh!

Cakey

I really feel at home in this thread, as I'm only 41, I'm also an habitual liar :)

Beachwalker

I really feel at home in this thread, as I'm only 41, I'm also an habitual liar :)

WTF, you ditching the thirties? :)

Cakey

WTF, you ditching the thirties? :)

See habitual liar...... :)

The thirties is my spiritual home, unfortunately I do need to maintain my studies to ensure I have a job that maintains the mortgage on the aforementioned 'Spiritual Home'

Sally

What time? I don't remember any time. :mellow:

Aspiecat

Had my nose re-pierced yesterday....ouchie! But great to have the piercing back in place. Today, saw my tattoo chap and have discussed the final part of my design, which will be done in one fell swoop in the next week or so!

Who said being in one's 40s is boring?!?

Cakey

Mmmm, I don't remember the last 10 years..! :wacko:

Beachwalker

I don't remember what day it is :)

knine

In my mid-40's. Turning 40 was just another day for me. Still don't feel like a 40-something, except for the slowing down, taking longer to heal, aches and pains, deteriorating eyesight....

Think I'll stop there, I'm getting depressed :wacko:

Cakey

I don't remember what day it is :)

Whose had all the spliffs !!! ;)

Frankentan

Pfffftttt - not remembering what day it is is normal :P

Aspiecat

My son usually has trouble remembering what day of the week it is - and he's 12 LOL

Beachwalker

Yay it's nice to feel normal sometimes :)

I shall be forty next year, my dirty thirties are a bit of a let down. I thought I might finally find my sex drive since women are meant to hit their sexual peak in their thirties but NO I found aven instead, still I guess it's good to know I am not alone :)

Who knows what the forties will bring.

I quite like the word spinster and may start addressing myself as such. Even if I was sexually inclined I think I would still be a spinster and maybe even a cougar.

Aspiecat

My 40s have been so far filled with others' sympathetic looks.

That is kinda annoying. <_<

planetgeorge

I'll be 43 next month and yes, I think it has been a turning point. My 10-year marriage ended just before my 40th birthday. I lost my job of 14 years about 9 months after my 40th birthday. But now I'm in a relationship with an awesome woman who also is asexual as it turns out (I didn't know it before, although I've just recently come to the realization that I'm asexual). And on top of this I relocated from Florida to Pennsylvania. So I feel like I've spent the last 3 years starting my life over.

Aspiecat

I'll be 43 next month and yes, I think it has been a turning point. My 10-year marriage ended just before my 40th birthday. I lost my job of 14 years about 9 months after my 40th birthday. But now I'm in a relationship with an awesome woman who also is asexual as it turns out (I didn't know it before, although I've just recently come to the realization that I'm asexual). And on top of this I relocated from Florida to Pennsylvania. So I feel like I've spent the last 3 years starting my life over.

George,

As someone who will be spending the next 12 to 18 months making significant changes in her life, I totally understand what you mean by feeling as if you have started your life over.

Sounds as if things have fallen into place for you - how great is that

Aspiecat

I shall be forty next year, my dirty thirties are a bit of a let down. I thought I might finally find my sex drive since women are meant to hit their sexual peak in their thirties but NO I found aven instead, still I guess it's good to know I am not alone :)

I quite like the word spinster and may start addressing myself as such. Even if I was sexually inclined I think I would still be a spinster and maybe even a cougar.

LOL I have been waiting to hit my so-called 'sexual peak' since I found out there was such a thing.

I think it must have seen me and run away screaming years ago.

I have hit my romantic peak, however. I think so, anyway. And it's kinda nice. Being in my 40s is actually far more liberating than being in my 30s....I think I was still holding onto vestiges of my younger years when I was told it was TERRIBLE to be anywhere past 30! :blink:

planetgeorge

LOL I have been waiting to hit my so-called 'sexual peak' since I found out there was such a thing.

I think it must have seen me and run away screaming years ago.

I have hit my romantic peak, however. I think so, anyway. And it's kinda nice. Being in my 40s is actually far more liberating than being in my 30s....I think I was still holding onto vestiges of my younger years when I was told it was TERRIBLE to be anywhere past 30! :blink:

I also feel I may be hitting my romantic peak since I have an awesome girlfriend who is also asexual.