Sydney AVENites - Madison magazine

SpirallingSnowy

SpirallingSnowy

Hey all.

I just received an email from a gal who is a freelance journalist - and we have a mutual friend on FB together ( who i went to primary school with), and she has asked if there are any Sydney based AVENites who would be happy to be interviewed for an article for Madison magazine.....

When i asked her about photos and anonymity, this is what she said:

"I don't want to put anyone into an uncomfortable situation. It is preferable to have real names and to be photographed but if that's too hard I don't mind. It would be nice to just have a chat. If you are happy to be photographed etc that would be great. But I would just like to learn more and talk to as many people as possible about their experiences. I am also interested in what coming out is like and some of the challenges asexuals face which stop them from coming out - remaining anonymous is fine for this. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. "

So if you don't want to be photographed or your name used thats fine. I'm happy to, but it would be good if others would to, so we can put faces to asexuality in Sydney :)

Anywho, let me know - contact me on here on fb :)

Snowy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/58661766457/

Australian AVEN FB group. - its changed over to the new form and not everyone is in it. join!!

I'd be up for this, though once uni starts I'll be in Camden during the week, which makes life a little challenging >>

I'll gladly participate and have no problems with being photographed or having my name included. Guess I need to make a facebook account now. heh.

Hi there,

I just saw this. I am the journalist writing a story for Madison. I am more or less flexible with times and location. I can interview you guys together or separately if we can't find a common time. I would be grateful to anyone that speaks to me - anonymously or not. Photos are also completely optional. My email is mkamenev@gmail.com . I am free during the day on Tuesday to Thursday and can do Wednesday or Thursday nights. Snowy - thanks so much for helping me with this. I really look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,

Marina

SpirallingSnowy

Well I'm doing uni by distance so I'm happy with whenever.

What suits everyone else?

Hi there,

I've just been talking to Cilas, I was originally going to meet him at Westfield in Parramatta at Gloria Jeans. This would have been on Wednesday morning, it might be easier to meet in a group. Would you guys be happy to meet there at 11am on Wednesday? I'm not sure where anyone lives but I am very flexible with location. Does this work?

Best,

Marina

:C I'm going to be away on placement all next week unfortunately, so I can't make it.

Hi there,

I've just been talking to Cilas, I was originally going to meet him at Westfield in Parramatta at Gloria Jeans. This would have been on Wednesday morning, it might be easier to meet in a group. Would you guys be happy to meet there at 11am on Wednesday? I'm not sure where anyone lives but I am very flexible with location. Does this work?

Best,

Marina

I should be able to make it by 11:30.

SpirallingSnowy

i can make 11 at Parra.... though i object to Gloria Jeans cos they support Hillsong church :P

Great! I look forward to seeing you guys there. I am not too fussed with the location I just don't really know the Westfield there at all.

Not sure if you guys saw, but there's a big article on Asexuality in The Guardian today. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/26/among-the-asexuals

See you on Wednesday!

No prob with me! We don't have to go to Gloria's , if you can suggest another place at Westfield I'm fine

Awwww, I wish I'd seen this earlier but this week is manic at work so i wouldnt have been able to make the catch up tomorrow anyway... Will there be another get together for people who cant make the Parramatta chat tomorrow?

How are we supposed to recognise each other, or the group? I mean, I could just walk up to any decently large group of people and ask them if they're the guys from AVEN, but that might result in some awkward silences.

Hey,

I will be there tomorrow at 11 am. Happy to meet with people who can't make it at other times. I have Cilas' phone number and we've agreed to call each other up and will recognise each other by clothes. The weather is completely unpredictable so I am not sure what I'll be wearing tomorrow. My number is [removed]. Call me if you can't find the group!

See you tomorrow!

Marina

[it's now after 11am Sydney time so I will remove the phone number. Please PM Marina if you would like it. -michaeld (AVEN PT)]

• 3 months later...
SpirallingSnowy

Sorry for the delay in reply. It went well, Marina was lovely :)

Ive just found out its going to be in the mid June release of Madison..... ( from memory of when it comes out that will be the July edition). As far as i am aware, there aren't any photos though.

Archived