Project Team Candidate Q&A and Campaigning

Kelly

I'm sorry about my english mistake, thanks for making me notice :) i'm italian and i try to improve my english skills every day.

I want to be more clear about my question. My question is not related to the history-researcher position, but it's just to get to know the candidates better.

I know Asexuality is not a topic that comes up in real life conversation. I actually didn't mean if it randomly happened to talk about asexuality in any of your conversation.

I meant if you ever planned of doing something "active" for Asexuality visibility IRL, like maybe go talking to LGBT meetings or giving info at universities and alike.

So, my questions are not about coming out with family/friends or random conversation, but with visibility projects in your area.

i'll retype them:

1- Have you ever done anything to help AVEN visibility in real life in your area, meaning besides online?

2- If yes, what and when was the last time?

3- If no, why?

4- Are you planning of doing something in the near future besides online and what?

Thank you for your patience. ^_^

1: Not yet.

3: There was a local meeting for all gender and sexual minorities the other day, but I couldn't make it.

4: Yes. As there is a meeting every other Tuesday & hopefully I'll be able to make to the next meeting, or at least, the one after that.

How proficient are you with the forum software, considering it would be one of the main methods of communication that you will be using (i.e. do you know how to use the different tags available, do you know how to multiquote, do you know how to link directly to certain posts and not just the thread, etc, etc)?

How do you rate your proficiency on other forms of communication that act as tools for teamwork (e.g. email clients, Google Documents, etc)?

What useful tools for organizing, managing, and working with a group of people online do you know of, other than forums and email, considering much of the work done in PT would be over the Internet?

If you don't consider yourself proficient in any of these, how would you rate your willingness to learn and your ability to learn?

A little. I mean, I know how to do spoilers, insert videos and links, but yeah...

Low.

PMs? Hmm, there's also chat, but that's really more for casual talk. Instant Messaging, but I don't see how that'd work for a group of people.

10 out 10 on both.

I'm sorry about my english mistake, thanks for making me notice :) i'm italian and i try to improve my english skills every day.

I want to be more clear about my question. My question is not related to the history-researcher position, but it's just to get to know the candidates better.

I know Asexuality is not a topic that comes up in real life conversation. I actually didn't mean if it randomly happened to talk about asexuality in any of your conversation.

I meant if you ever planned of doing something "active" for Asexuality visibility IRL, like maybe go talking to LGBT meetings or giving info at universities and alike.

So, my questions are not about coming out with family/friends or random conversation, but with visibility projects in your area.

i'll retype them:

1- Have you ever done anything to help AVEN visibility in real life in your area, meaning besides online?

2- If yes, what and when was the last time?

3- If no, why?

4- Are you planning of doing something in the near future besides online and what?

Thank you for your patience. ^_^

Ciao ithaca. Scrive inglese molto bene; ho fatto un corso di italiano, ma non parlo bene! Le dispiace se mi esercito? La lingua italiana è bellissima. Penso che i forum internationale di AVEN non communicano abbastanza…

1- I have not done any offline visibility projects. However, my online life and my offline life are both part of my real life.

Non ho fatto mai un progetto di visibilità offline. Tuttavia, la mia vita online e la mia vita offline sono tutti e due parte della mia vita reale.

3- Currently, the best place for me to connect with the community is online, so that is where I have been focusing my energy.

Attualmente, il posto migliore per me collegare con la comunità è online, così il fulcro della mia attenzione è online.

4- I’m hopeful that a position on the PT would open up better possibilities for engaging in offline projects.

La mia speranza è che una posizione PT mi desse una migliore possibilità a prendere parte nel progetti offline.

How proficient are you with the forum software, considering it would be one of the main methods of communication that you will be using (i.e. do you know how to use the different tags available, do you know how to multiquote, do you know how to link directly to certain posts and not just the thread, etc, etc)?

How do you rate your proficiency on other forms of communication that act as tools for teamwork (e.g. email clients, Google Documents, etc)?

What useful tools for organizing, managing, and working with a group of people online do you know of, other than forums and email, considering much of the work done in PT would be over the Internet?

If you don't consider yourself proficient in any of these, how would you rate your willingness to learn and your ability to learn?

Quite proficient, I think, in all areas.

Tools… There’s Dropbox, which is a way of sharing files without emailing them. There’s Doodle for scheduling. This is a bit of an odd one, but there’s Scoop.it, which is a curation platform that let’s you find and organize online content related to a specific topic, and get suggestions from your followers.

I learned how to use wikitext markup in a fairly extensive way so I could work on AVENwiki beyond basic edits, I don’t see why I couldn’t learn something new. I'm happy to pick up new skills and I’m a fast learner.

It confuses me that this thread has gone completely silent, so I'm going to take a leaf from Arche's book (bwahahaha):

1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?

3. What is your favorite color?

It confuses me that this thread has gone completely silent, so I'm going to take a leaf from Arche's book (bwahahaha):

1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?

;_;

Those are my questions...

Huh, what? When did this thread become unlocked?

1: AceofClubs.

2: Only one?

3: Blue.

It was never locked, as far as I know...

;_;

Those are my questions...

Bwahahaha...

*huuuugs* :cake: I'm sure you have more ^_^

1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?

1. hexaquark.

2. To seek the Holy Grail. To determine the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

3. Black.

Don't try to tell me black isn't a colour, it's the only favourite colour I've got ;__;

Guest member25959

Moar questions....

1) Which came first, moderator elections or Project Team elections.

2) When did Hallucigenia leave the Project Team?

3) Do you ever watch the subtitles to live TV and laugh as they mess it up and fall behind?

Moar questions....

3) Do you ever watch the subtitles to live TV and laugh as they mess it up and fall behind?

Mod elections, presumably.

August/September 2009.

TV, what's that? Seriously, the only thing I can think that I watch which has subtitles is the amazing race. I snicker, depending on whether or not I like the team.

My childhood!!!!!!!! (Sorry, moment of nostalgia). And yes, it took me about 30 seconds to find Waldo.

1) Mod elections were definitely first. I have an early mod timeline pieced together but I’m hazy on the details, so I never wrote it up. This is all AFAIK:

* Selie was the first mod appointed by AVENguy in
, right before he went on a trip to Ghana.

* There were moderators appointed, not elected, in
for reasons related to a particular individual being… disruptive, but also to prepare for the growth of AVEN.

* Liver and Cate Perfect were appointed as
in late 2004.
for mod and admin
were opened at this time, for candidates that would be
. So
is, so far as I know, the earliest incidence of admod elections on AVEN. War room
for reference.

2) Hallu did not run again for PT in August of 2009. She did an amazing amount of work for the team, especially with the wiki and AVENues.

3) I don't watch much TV, so I can't say I've had the pleasure.

Here's another question:Can you find Waldo in here?

Yes :ph34r:

Midnight-Poetry

I am posting this late, and many of the factual questions have been answered and cited so I will answer with what I feel is a good summation of questions:

My name is Poe, my quest is to join and improve PT. My favorite color is purple (For reals).

I'm running for PT because I feel like it needs to be improved. Although the saying goes that if you do something well, it should seem as if you did nothing at all... this is visibility we are talking about. It is meant to be up front. I feel like PT needs improving, and not just in the field of "history". I have not personally assisted in any real life projects, I have attended AVEN meet ups. The one or two visibility possibilities in my area all fell on bad days as it is a commute to get to them generally.

I have at least 2 hours a day to spend on PT, more on weekends. On average, if push came to shove, I could easily spend 20 hours on PT, 40 depending on my time with school if there was a major project. I am on a restricted schedule with my classes right now and it frees up a lot of time. On average I would most likely but in 15 hours a week, as I prefer to not overwork myself every week.

I have no professional experience with writing, I have submitted articles to my school newspaper and literary magazine for various topics. I can get very passionate about topics, and I have a lot of experience with team coordination. I have used GoogleDocs frequently, and I am a quick learner.

When I get passionate about a topic I am willing to continue searching about it for a long time. I generally only stop looking when I reach a personal conclusion about it, as well as find evidence contrary to opposing opinions. Short of this, there is little that will stop me from being motivated.

Should I become unmotivated I generally take a break, ask a friend's opinion on the topic to get a different perspective, or change topics and keep working. I always make note of where my searched stopped for personal reference.

In terms of professionalism, I have industry experience in engineering. Presenting information is a key aspect of this field. And while most of my ability would lie in powerpoints and oral presentations, I feel I am more than capable at writing reports as well as formal letters/requests.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted for me up to this point, and wish the other candidates luck in the rest of the race.

Question for candidates:

A major upcoming project the PT is running, yet to be announced officially but starting at around the end of this month, will be a complete revamp of the AVEN Front Page and the Visibility resources on offer. This will be a big undertaking and will involve a significant portion of the AVEN community at large, not just the Project Team.

What sort of specific skills and abilities could you bring to this project?

Midnight-Poetry

Question for candidates:

A major upcoming project the PT is running, yet to be announced officially but starting at around the end of this month, will be a complete revamp of the AVEN Front Page and the Visibility resources on offer. This will be a big undertaking and will involve a significant portion of the AVEN community at large, not just the Project Team.

I am computer code literate with some experience in web design.

I am more than willing to contact other members of AVEN and organize information for group sharing through systems like Google Docs and Dropbox in order to facilitate project awareness by all members.

I have access to and experience using scientific paper databases, in case there is a question of the legitimacy of studies. I also have experience with scientific studies and statistics for reviewing those studies.

The PT members live in many different time zones. Would you be willing to wait up or get up early to 'attend' a meeting (via Skype, for example).

Midnight-Poetry

The PT members live in many different time zones. Would you be willing to wait up or get up early to 'attend' a meeting (via Skype, for example).

I am capable of attending meetings most hours of the day. Unless I have a class during that specific time slot, I could generally move things around, stay up late, or wake up early to ensure that I would be at the meeting.

Thanks to my screwed up sleep schedule (for reasons unknown), lately, I've been staying up as late as 12:30 am, sometimes even 1 or nearly 1 am. However, because I need at least 7 hours of sleep to function, I wouldn't be able to get up at say, 5 or 6 am. So yeah, I'm willing to stay up late, not so willing to get up early.

Question for candidates:

I'm (relatively) familiar with the CMS the front page uses.

I'm also willing to PM other members.

I have significant awareness of the current online dialogue relating to asexuality, as well as the resources presently available. I think it is important to pay attention to the broader community, especially with major site changes.

Yes, as long as it isn’t during a class.

Thanks for all of the questions and answers!

Any further campaigning? :)

The election ends on Sunday.

Archived