Haha - Sex shortens your lifespan!

Concealed ID

Concealed ID

According to this report lots of sex shortens your lifespan:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2093562.stm

It is an old article, so sorry if it's been mentioned before. I did do a search to check.

2013 Mod Edit: For future reference:

Thursday, 4 July, 2002, 16:45 GMT 17:45 UK

'No sex' rule for longer life

_38116139_beetle1300.jpg

Beetles showed scientists why mating cuts life short

Scientists have discovered a reason why having sex could be bad for your health.

The research reveals that hormones are the key to mating insects having a shorter life expectancy.

The findings may also give clues as to why the same principle appears to hold true for other creatures - including humans.

Mealworm beetles, more commonly bought as food for pet reptiles and birds, were used in the research by Dr Jens Rolff and Dr Michael Siva-Jothy at the University of Sheffield.

startquote.gifThose organisms that mate the most reduce their own life expectancy in the process endquote.gif

Dr Michael Siva-Jothy, University of Sheffield

A hormone released after mating adversely affected an enzyme vital to keep the immune system functioning.

The beetles were therefore more susceptible to infection, and less likely to live as long.

Although it has long been known that mating in insects can shorten life expectancy, the research by the two doctors is the first time a reason why it happens has been uncovered.

Dr Siva-Jothy said: "Those organisms that mate the most, and are therefore more successful in evolutionary terms, reduce their own life expectancy in the process."

When insects' immune systems are depressed they become susceptible to parasites, so the findings could have implications on pest control, which may be more effective when the insects are mating.

The research could also help explain how sexually-transmitted diseases evolve - by exploiting the depressed immune system when humans have sex.

Such diseases also lead to the possibility of a reduction of life expectancy in humans.

The scientists' findings are to be published by the National Academy of Sciences in America.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, yes, I linked to this article in a previous thread a couple of months ago. It does have some credibility and there has been a lot of research on this issue. On the other hand, there are also studies which seem to imply that those who don't masturbate or have sex are very slightly more likely to get prostate or cervical cancer and the like.(Presumably the idea is, if you don't use it, you lose it!).

One thing that has been proven beyond doubt, unlike the various, rather dubious, studies I mentioned, is that eunuchs live much longer than their uncastrated brothers. While the prospect of living healthily until I'm 150 and singing soprano is interesting, I'd frankly much rather stay "intact".

Loki

I think I'd get bored if I was living to 150.

How quickly do you need to get them 'done' for it to take effect?

Also doesn't it modify your behaviour?

:mrgreen:

Of course, has there been any done on similar effects in humans? I mean, I know that it was theorized about and all, but theory is just that. Theory.

I think I'd get bored if I was living to 150.

Don't worry...there is still a lot of stuff out there that will depress the immune system and, well, cause death before 150. Our peak years are really in our 20's.

Scary, no?

Borrible Cal
there are also studies which seem to imply that those who don't masturbate or have sex are very slightly more likely to get prostate or cervical cancer and the like.

That doesn't seem awfully likely, given that (to the best of my knowledge) cervical cancer is caused by a virus transmitted by the male partner in heterosexual sex. That's why only women who have at some time in their lives been sexually active need to have regular pap smears!

On the other hand, never having (hetero) sex that results in pregnancy and childbirth does leave one at a rather higher risk of breast cancer...

Borrible Cal.

I stand corrected. I had only vaguely heard that a lack of sexual activity led to increased prostate cancer. I had thought that the same would apply to women with regard to their own equipment. Just goes to show one shouldn't jump to conclusions.

As regards eunuchs, it's accepted nowadays that they generally live approx. 10 to 15 years longer than other men. There's a truly fascinating acount of the history of eunuchism on this website:- http://members.tripod.com/Barry_Stone/eunuchs.htm

Unfortunately, for anyone planning on living longer, I suspect that the longest lived eunuchs would likely have been castrated before the major changes of puberty.

Loki

Prostate cancer is linked in some way to testosterone production (the common preventative treatments for prostate swelling and cancer are powerful anti-androgens like spironolactone).

Also, the cervix is definitely NOT the female analog to the prostate. I *think* the cowper's gland is one of the candidates for it, though I believe the jury's still out on that.

Also, if you want to be castrated simply for the longevity effects, keep in mind that without a natural source of estrogen (which the testes provide a small amount of) you'll get early-onset osteoporosis, so you'll need to start taking estrogen supplements unless you want to get both of your hips replaced by age 40.

Yes, but there's other studies that show that married men live longer than unmarried men.

Pet owners live longer too, even though they catch more diseases off their pets.

Hector_sml.JPG

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. ;)

Archived