Blog article - let's respond

michaeld

Thanks to Tyki for pointing out this article.

I'm making another post here to give this greater visibility, in the hope it will encourage a big response from the asexual community on AVEN and beyond. We'll also put something up on the PT Tumblr shortly.

I realize that in one sense this is just one random person on the internet - who cares. But on the other, this is a good chance for some visibility and education. It would be great to have a big response. Please everyone post a comment.

Two comments - the second more important than the first.

(1) Let's keep our response WELL clear of anti-sexuality of any kind. This is very important. This is not a sexual v. asexual war. Notice that the article not only attacks asexuals but it also attacks and insults sexual partners of asexuals too. It's very important to get this across, along with the fact that some asexuals ARE sexually active.

(2) There is an almost irresistable urge to flame the author in response to this blog article. Even though the author deserves to be flamed, can I instead encourage a more polite measured response - pointing out the many flaws in the blog in a calm dispassionate way? I know that it's unlikely to convince the blog author of anything, but maybe it will educate bystanders.

Thanks everyone!

====

EDIT: Please forget (2). I've seen some of the comments they have approved. (I know they're moderated as my own comment went into moderation stream.) It is truly sickening. Responding to these people politely is probably worse than a waste of time, no matter how many bystanders might be educated.

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

Polite and measured, how dull.

I'm sure it would be a great challenge for you. RISE TO IT! :cake:

:( Don't challenge me with it, That's not fair.

I'm sure it would be a great challenge for you. RISE TO IT! :cake:

:( Don't challenge me with it, That's not fair.

;)

After consideration, I'm going to retract my call to be polite and measured. I'm not telling people to be rude either. It's your own call how to respond.

The change of heart is because I honestly don't know how much good a polite response will do. The commenters are likely to treat it as further evidence that asexuals and their allies are sissies. So please, just try whatever approach you think is best.

The point about anti-sexuality still stands. Reading the comments, some of the nastiest ones are not directed towards Jenni but towards her boyfriend and by extension towards all sexual partners of asexuals.

EDIT: there are some pretty awful comments directed at Jenni too.

Guest member31022

Hey,

Just so people are aware - I think the comments are moderated, meaning they may never see the light of day. I've reported the blog to wordpress (I figure given me and my boyfriend are the ones in it, it may give me a bit more sway than just random complaints).

(On the plus side, my boyfriend doesn't actually get bothered by these things - he gets annoyed, but mainly because he worries about me, which is good.)

I got moderated too. Nevertheless, if people could make a blog post about it that would be great.

Thanks Fae and others for already linking this on various Facebook groups.

I propose that asexuals of male persuasion adopt the label "beta male". Appropriating derogatory terms as one's own has been a winning tactic through the ages. :)

sinisterporpoise

I was about to say not to respond to this because it's a minor Wordpress blog, but the Alexa stats indicate it gets quite a bit of traffic. (Alexa can be gamed fairly easily by webmasters, but with a rank of 20,000 in the US, some people are reading it.)

Indeed.

"People" like them don't deserve polite and painless education.

My 2 cents. :cake:

I've changed my mind on this since seeing the comments they've approved.

In general I am all for politeness even to those who don't deserve it.

In this case it's worse than a waste of time.

This doesn't just make me (to put it mildly) annoyed, it genuinely makes me sad a) that these people can be so bigoted and closed minded and b) for the human race. There is absolutely no need for an article like that at all and is borderline of hate crime.

-- Edit: I tried to post a polite response. The polite part seemed to have got forgotten by my brain however

I decided to try out some Insane Troll Logic to counter his:

“Evolutionarily speaking, there is something very wrong with you.”

Asperger’s Syndrome has shown to be very dominant over “neurotypical genes”. I am evolutionarily superior to you pitiful neurotypicals. 8)

~Beta Male

That combined with smugness is probably the best way to tackle this if one doesn't want to ignore it altogether.

I actually reported that blog as well before I saw this thread.

While I can see why you might want to make a public response, this may also be a case where responding will

A. do nothing to educate the makers of the blog or get them to change their actions

B. Possibly incite harrassment, stress, or trauma for those trying to engage these creeps.

C. give them the satisfaction of riling up more people

I'd rather try to bury this by getting wordpress to remove it, though the chances of that may not be all that high.

In this case, I'd rather ignore them and focus on taking care of our own - engaging them is only going to lead to more hurt feelings and harrassment. Let's just all have some cake and tea instead.

Chrysanthalis

Indeed.

"People" like them don't deserve polite and painless education.

My 2 cents. :cake:

Everyone deserves an education. It's one of those human right things. :blink:

Also, if everyone is educated, then we can't blame their lack of knowledge for them being discriminatory/rude. We are free to yell at them for being idiots because we know it's their choice to be ignorant, not their situation. -_-

Well, it seems my comment didn't get in.

Just as well, I was pretty mean, I get like that in the heat of things. But those other comments were just so bad, it's strange how they can get in when mine can't.

Ah well, most of them would refuse to listen anyways.

I did sneak in a reply to someone under Shaded though. Small victories.

ChildOfTheLight

Asperger’s Syndrome has shown to be very dominant over “neurotypical genes”. I am evolutionarily superior to you pitiful neurotypicals. 8)

~Beta Male

That combined with smugness is probably the best way to tackle this if one doesn't want to ignore it altogether.

Don't you know you can't troll a troll? Only a troll of comparable or greater skill can troll a troll, and you're not playing the same game as this one. That was easily refutable and sounds totally made up. Not even good insane troll logic.

Now that I'm done critiquing the quality of your trolling, I'll say that I doubt this blog, or even this post, will be taken down over this. As far as I know Wordpress has few restrictions on speech -- as long as it doesn't advocate illegal activity, incite violence, or a few other things, it's fair game. (As it should be, if you ask me. Freedom of speech works for the good in the end. Fools like this one should be allowed to expose their foolishness.)

It's obvious trolling and it was even admitted to.

Don't feed it.

~Beta Male

Don't you know you can't troll a troll? Only a troll of comparable or greater skill can troll a troll, and you're not playing the same game as this one. That was easily refutable and sounds totally made up. Not even good insane troll logic.

Of course, since I wasn't actually trolling, that point is pretty moot. The characteristics of that trope is that it is supposed to sound made up, otherwise one has done something wrong somewhere.

I did my duty. I wasn't sure what would and wouldn't get through the filter, so I did a scattershot of comments. Hopefully one or two will get through (my comments ranged from pointed questions to straight out saying that I'm an ace beta and that women marry betas, since they don't just use them up and throw them out like alphas do).

beyondweird, it sucks that this guy is being a douchenozzle to you. What if we did do a kind of counterprotest? What if all ace men started calling themselves alpha? The "real" alphas would get all worked up that we don't devote our lives to the art of catching Herpes (this isn't anti-sex. Just anti PUA, since I honestly hate those kinds of people) and they would start yelling about us "fakes," which would garner publicity and, over time, maybe the concept of "alpha vs beta" would die, or at least shift considerably in favor of guys who aren't inconsiderate jerks.

Well, my comment is awaiting for moderation. but here it is, for you. i don't know if this "male" category gets sarcasm.

ITHACA

"I don't understand why asexuals keep replying, trying to say they're normal.

Homosexuality has been considered a mental disorder till 1970, so it shall be a mental disorder.

Well, if we wanna give credit to what "it's been considered right for most of the times", then why don't asexuals just shut the fuck up and leave the alpha males of this blog live on their flat planet Earth.

The Sun will keep spinning around the Earth even if you mind your own business, asexual losers.

Do not say blasphemies like "homosexuality is normal, so is asexuality" or the Gods of all ages and their ministers will sentence you to the neverending hell, and burn you and your families on pyres.

So, all the centuries of "right" things considered, do this blog a favour, asexual folks, and fuck off."

Well, it did get posted, but not even asexual-friendly folks got the sarcasm **facepalm**

i feel somehow bad about it now :blink:

so-much-random

I...have you read the comments? It's some of the most disgusting crap I've ever read, most of it too vulgar to ever be repeated.

I mean literally sick.

This is the cleanest quote that sums up the majority's responses, "This post is written about straight people: a sackless beta boy and his manipulative, look-at-me-with-my-made-up-disorder girlfriend whos sleeping around on him."

"The Asexual Mafia is swarming the comments section like angry stingless bees. We need a catchy name for them. Firebrands of Frigidity? Barren Battleaxes? The Neutered Network? The Desiccated Coven? Help me out here!"

Like, HOLY S***. And anyone who isn't spewing cruelty and trying to be reasonable is a "femcunt," a "fucktard," or a "betafaggot"

Apparently every asexual girl can be "cured" just by being f**ked by an "alpha" male.

Anyone trying to defend asexuality is "has no sense of humor."

Like they just can't figure out why we would be angry at what they said.

I think I'm going to jump off a building.

tumblr_lz7kl8oLIp1r2w6ph.gif

Pandora's Fox

To me, they seem like a bunch of furious zombies in a cage. I wouldn't even tease them by getting close and poking them with a stick. You never know for sure if that cage will break, one manages to grab you the moment your guard is down or they manage to break or slip through free in a tenacious endeavour to grab and eat you...

Archived