Paula Poundstone--Q Notes

Cate Perfect

Cate Perfect

Q Notes is a gay newspaper--this one is for the North and South Carolina area. In the Feb 26 issue there's an interview with Paula Poundstone (whom I adore) because she's going to be performing in Durham.

Poundstone has often been considered to be gay by the gay and mainstream press even though she's never said so and has never been known to have a significant other of either sex. In this article it says: 'While she doesn't feel comfortable identifying with any sexual orientation--with the possible exception of asexuality it would seem---the comedian prizes her gay fans.'

Hey! We're a sexuality now! Yeah, I knew that, but it's nice to see someone else does.

Later in the interview she says she thinks it's funny that people think she's private about her sex life when she goes on stage every night and talks about the fact that she doesn't have sex. Then later she says, 'I'm really lucky because I have no sex drive whatsoever. I swear to you that I consider that the greatest gift in the world because I'm able to go about me business and get things done. I don't know what I am and the whole point is that I don't care.'

So. Can we nominate her for Official Stand Up Comedianne of AVEN?

Also, she's freakin' hysterical and she dresses fierce! Ties and suspenders (braces for the Brits).

Cate

Abbey Normal

I like the idea of having an official comedianne. I've only seen a little of Paula's standup and it's all been stuff from the early ninties, but it's still hilarious. Do you know of any recent stuff she's done that might be on dvd?

Qwerty123456

Oh, I love Paula Poundstone! I still laugh over her bit about buying terribly large underwear at Sears and being too embarassed to return it. She's coming to Durham?!? I must investigate.

Cate Perfect

She'll be there March 4.

www.paulapoundstone.com

Cate

• 1 month later...

Wait a minute, wait a minute, are we talking about the same Paula Poundstone :evil: that was arrested and faced three counts of molestation/ committing lewd acts on four children under the age of fourteen in 2001. The same Paula Poundstone :evil: who later cops a plea. Hey, in my opinion, pleading no contest is the same as saying I'm guilty. Any average, sound-minded person would fight something as egergious as the accusation of child molestation with a resounding NOT GUILTY!!!

By the way, she sucked as a comedian in the early 90's and she sucks now. 8)

Cate Perfect

And later it was admitted that they trumped up those charges from something else.

And she's still a great comedianne.

Cate

• 1 year later...
bard of aven

And she still is.

At a book signing this afternoon, I asked her if she was in any way involved with the asexual community. She replied that she had not met the asexual community, and went on to state strongly her complete disinterest in sex and her happiness about that, as described above.

She was arrested some years back for drunk driving while taking her kids (adopded/foster) to BaskinRobins. She pled guilty to the DUI and endangerment charges becasue, as she said today, she was. The other charges were dropped. She did 180 days of rehab, and after a year, was granted full custody of the kids again.

No interest in sex, but a fierce loyalty as a mother. Interesting combination.

boa

• 3 months later...
Q Notes is a gay newspaper--this one is for the North and South Carolina area. In the Feb 26 issue there's an interview with Paula Poundstone (whom I adore) because she's going to be performing in Durham.

Poundstone has often been considered to be gay by the gay and mainstream press even though she's never said so and has never been known to have a significant other of either sex. In this article it says: 'While she doesn't feel comfortable identifying with any sexual orientation--with the possible exception of asexuality it would seem---the comedian prizes her gay fans.'

Hey! We're a sexuality now! Yeah, I knew that, but it's nice to see someone else does.

Later in the interview she says she thinks it's funny that people think she's private about her sex life when she goes on stage every night and talks about the fact that she doesn't have sex. Then later she says, 'I'm really lucky because I have no sex drive whatsoever. I swear to you that I consider that the greatest gift in the world because I'm able to go about me business and get things done. I don't know what I am and the whole point is that I don't care.'

So. Can we nominate her for Official Stand Up Comedianne of AVEN?

Also, she's freakin' hysterical and she dresses fierce! Ties and suspenders (braces for the Brits).

Cate

AWSOME :D :vis:

Archived