#1 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

At Least I'm Still Perfect...

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts
  • Pronouns:He - They/Them
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual - Bi & Fetishist

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

No idea how to go by this, but should there be more of a visible, pinable topic. like in the description, which only is two lines at best which I belive can be overlooked, something in the welcome lounge, just to highlight that importance. this part im referring too

Note: People do not need sexual arousal to be healthy, but in a minority of cases a lack of arousal can be the symptom of a more serious medical condition. If you do not experience sexual arousal or if you suddenly lose interest in sex you should probably check with a doctor just to be safe.

Medical problems are a veriety of things, maybe the description could be more refined, or a fuller description as a pinned topic somewhere, if there is I must of missed it. just an idea

#2 Djeinus

Djeinus

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 549 posts
  • A/Sexuality:I am an asexual some-thingamajig

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

That wouldn't be such a bad idea actually...

#3 cleuchtturm

cleuchtturm

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

I really like this idea. I haven't even been here a month I don't think and I've already seen quite a few people saying something like 'I used to get aroused but don't anymore...am I asexual?' It should be really obvious, since asexuality is an orientation that doesn't just "show up" over night...but some people need it spelled out.

DISCLAIMER: My people skills are non existant. I am a frequent user of tough love. You have been warned.

#4 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

It is also true that a gradual loss of attractions, arousal and libido can also be a medical problem, this probably includes romance as well?

Testosterone, Oxitoxyn and Prolactin (probably others) are all driving forces for all aspects of sexuality (this could also be true for mental/social/other problems?) , what we need here is something that is written by a specilist or something written in general terms. If written well and visible, a lot of confusion can be addressed, and give members some guidence and encouragement to rule out potential life changing conditions.

#5 Member33070

Member33070

A-Grade AVENite

• AVEN Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

x

#6 Skullery Maid

Skullery Maid

AVENissimo

• AVEN Members
  • 5,637 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Sexual / Married

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

I approve. I really think a "things that are similar to asexuality" thing would be immensely helpful.

I like the "things that are similar to asexuality" idea. Sounds research-heavy... there's gotta be some scholarly AVENites around here somewhere, eh?

** General Disclaimer ** I believe in everyone's right to do, say, and be anything and anyone they want.  None of the opinions expressed by me should be taken to mean that I intend to enforce my views.  I am simply sharing my perspective. 

"He said 'It's all in your head' and I said 'so is everything', but he didn't get it" - Fiona Apple 

#7 Murmur

Murmur

Thought Criminal

• AVEN Members
  • 2,387 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Non-Repulsed Asexual

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

I really like this idea!
Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division

"I've got a sweet ass & I'm brainier than Kurt Cobain's garage wall." - R.E.

"SaraLee, I say unto you! If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar. Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie. That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - TGRR

#8 glass weegie

glass weegie

Mitosis to the Max

• Banned
  • 394 posts
  • A/Sexuality:demisexual? romantic

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

I approve. I really think a "things that are similar to asexuality" thing would be immensely helpful.

Honestly, sticking the asexual label on oneself when there might be something else going on...bad idea. And I'm concerned that a bunch of people are doing or have done that. A bunch of these other things can be treated. I personally think it's worth it to check for other diseases before committing to an asexual way of life for eternity.

then again, commiting to asexuality for eternity isnt really advised in the first place...
the more i think, the more confused i get.

#9 Faelights

Faelights

~Royal Chat Kitteh~

• AVEN Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Honestly, sticking the asexual label on oneself when there might be something else going on...bad idea. And I'm concerned that a bunch of people are doing or have done that. A bunch of these other things can be treated. I personally think it's worth it to check for other diseases before committing to an asexual way of life for eternity.

then again, commiting to asexuality for eternity isnt really advised in the first place...

I'm not sure committing to anything for eternity is advised...

Also, labels are supposed to be descriptive, not prescriptive! lol

#10 cleuchtturm

cleuchtturm

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

I like the "things that are similar to asexuality" idea. Sounds research-heavy... there's gotta be some scholarly AVENites around here somewhere, eh?

The only thing I can think of is depression. That will kill your sex drive real quick.

Ok, I just looked up impotence in my medical book (aka, my bible) and here are some things it lists:

1. Side effect of drug
2. Side effect of excessive alcohol consumption
3. Temporary effect of illness such as those which include fever

These mainly have to do with men, but I suppose they could go for women too:
1. Atherosclerosis
2. Diabetes Mellitus
3. Cirrhosis of the Liver
4. Hypothyroidism
5. MS
6. Enlarged Prostate (obviously, not for women!)
7. Underactive Pituitary gland.

Descriptions of the above in the spoiler.
Spoiler

DISCLAIMER: My people skills are non existant. I am a frequent user of tough love. You have been warned.

#11 Member33070

Member33070

A-Grade AVENite

• AVEN Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

x

#12 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I like the "Things that are similar to asexuality" title with the descriptive list could work well. Dont know if theres any legal issues, but if we find a medical professional to back this up, then any issues should be addressed.

Or a legal disclamer should do the trick

and i think this list should be open to edditing when more medical issues are realised, each description could contain a link to a source from a respectable website.

There could be a series of lists such as common causes, rare causes (E.G. Hyperprolactinanema) common mental disorders, or rare mental disorders etc. and endorce the importance of seeing a doctor if symtoms (including the physical ones) do match.

#13 Faelights

Faelights

~Royal Chat Kitteh~

• AVEN Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

One thing that I think might be good to add is that even if they feel that they may have these medical conditions as opposed to being asexual, they are still very welcome to participate in the community.

#14 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

One thing that I think might be good to add is that even if they feel that they may have these medical conditions as opposed to being asexual, they are still very welcome to participate in the community.

Exactly, I felt fake, lost and saddened by the fact of my asexuality could very well be a brain abnormality of some kind.

#15 Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

In Principles and Practice of Sex Therapy 4th edition, one of the most up-to-date books on the subject, there is a chapter on Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) in men and one on HSDD in women. In the chapter on hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) in men, the author gives a list of 43 possible causes of HSDD, but says, almost as an aside, "Some of [these] have been the subject of empirical research while for others, one must rely on clinical observation." (p. 192).

"Clinical observation" is a euphemism for "the post hoc fallacy." Except in cases where causation is obvious, clinical observation should NEVER be used to establish causation. (Sadly, many mental health professionals ignore this and have hurt a lot of people in the process.)

It's true that people have been claiming all sorts of pathological causes for loss of interest in sex. Until they can give some scientific evidence to support their claims, I see no reason to trust them or to defer to their judgment.

#16 Skullery Maid

Skullery Maid

AVENissimo

• AVEN Members
  • 5,637 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Sexual / Married

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Exactly, I felt fake, lost and saddened by the fact of my asexuality could very well be a brain abnormality of some kind.

To be fair, everything about all of us is just a brain anomaly of some kind. :D

** General Disclaimer ** I believe in everyone's right to do, say, and be anything and anyone they want.  None of the opinions expressed by me should be taken to mean that I intend to enforce my views.  I am simply sharing my perspective. 

"He said 'It's all in your head' and I said 'so is everything', but he didn't get it" - Fiona Apple 

#17 Beachwalker

Beachwalker

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,949 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Disorientated afucker

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

But I don't wanna go to the doctor, is that seriously an Aven recommendation? Seriously though do these medical conditions really affect attraction or just libido and arousal? If it was pinned it would be good if the conditions were categorized into ones which affect ? Attraction, versus libido, arrousal etc.

#18 Member33070

Member33070

A-Grade AVENite

• AVEN Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

x

#19 cleuchtturm

cleuchtturm

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

The thing is...I think it can possibly be difficult for people to know for sure whether it's their libido that's affected, or if they're experiencing attraction less often/not at all, or if they're not getting aroused as much or not as interested in sex. For sexual people these things are all super related and intertwined. It's not always clear how one can affect the other, I would think.

AVEN doesn't recommend anything. AVEN is a forum. Think of it like a bunch of people who get together and talk about shit. It's not an official organization or governing entity on asexuality or an official anything. So people within AVEN can individually recommend that people go and check things out medically. A group of people could then form that suggested it. Over time, that could be the dominating idea presented on the site. But really, there's not a law-book of AVEN beliefs. AVEN doesn't have an official stand on every topic because it's not really necessary. I think such a thing would imply that all members here agree with those things, when it's simply not true. *shrug*

ANYWAY. If you don't want to go to the doctor, don't. I personally think it's worth an investigation if asexuality is distressing or if you're concerned that you might have one of those diseases (ie you have other symptoms too). Because thinking "oh I'm asexual", and committing to a thought that that is how you might always be and that asexuality is not a treatable condition...I believe that if it is a disease that seems a lot like asexuality, that could be dangerous. You know? That's all.

This should be post of the week.

#20 Beachwalker

Beachwalker

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,949 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Disorientated afucker

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yeh I know, it is kind of a conundrum though.

#21 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

But I don't wanna go to the doctor, is that seriously an Aven recommendation? Seriously though do these medical conditions really affect attraction or just libido and arousal? If it was pinned it would be good if the conditions were categorized into ones which affect ? Attraction, versus libido, arrousal etc.

Physical conditions can affect all aspects of sexuality, as I understand it the rare condition affects attractions(physical and romantic), libido, sexual gratification, fertility and a raft of mild physical conditions that go unnoticed in males. This realization has ripped the very fabric of the understanding of my sexuality. Endocrinology should reassure me, or confirm the worst, a brain tumor which many symtoms match. That affects around 14 in every 100,000 people.

The post should not be written to scare, but a lot of problems are more common then I first thought.  

#22 Elllie

Elllie

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 198 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetro-romantic

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

While I think medical causes should be more readily available, I would like to stress that we don't make it seem to visitors or anyone, for that matter, that asexuality only is a side affect of one or more of these disorders.
Personal story alert: My doctor took me off my anti-axeity(sp) meds for the summer so we could check if my meds were affecting my sexuality. Two and a half monthes of detoxing and still asexual. During my off time I made sure to get out and socialize. A lot. When I got back on my meds the only change was that large social gatherings of my peers stopped causing me problems.
Oooh, BBCode.

#23 Philip027

Philip027

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,918 posts
  • Pronouns:Anything, really
  • A/Sexuality:Nonlibidoist demiheteromantic asexual

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Should medical causes be more visible?

They are now. You can thank House
Posted Image

#24 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Should medical causes be more visible?

They are now. You can thank House

Its a sad day when very real causes are mocked like that.

#25 Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

very real causes

Can you give us some actual evidence? I don't just mean citing some website that's repeating something someone somewhere said, who was just repeating someone who'd got their information from the National Enquirer, which got its information from a fortune cookie... I've read a number of articles on this matter. Citations for solid scientific research (or even lousy research) about causes of lack of sexual interest are lacking. Research on the causes of not experiencing sexual attraction is limited to a single master's thesis on asexuality that regards it as non-pathological.

#26 Kathy The Highlighter

Kathy The Highlighter

• AVEN Members
  • 48 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Gray-A. I experience attraction but lack libido.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

I definitely think it should be something that's a bit more visible- It's worth at least a mention to a doctor, if only to check and make sure that there isn't an underlying hormonal issue, though there needs to be a clear line between saying that "There are medical issues that affect sex drive" and saying "Oh, asexuality has a medical cause".

And I think there should be something for people who genuinely do not want to be asexual and who are not happy with the idea- if something is causing you distress, it's generally a good idea to try to talk to a therapist or doctor about ways to deal with that distress, either by removing the cause of the distress or helping you deal with it in a healthier manner.

I know that AVEN tries not to tell people they are/are not asexual, but I do think that when people come here there's an overwhelming amount of information leading to the conclusion "Yes, you are probably asexual," and not much is said about medical causes, be they physical or mental. As someone who has been wondering lately if I might have some kind of medical reason for asexuality, or if I might just be actually repressing sexual thoughts, I've found that there's not a lot of information on these things. I know that AVEN is meant to be a resource for people to learn about asexuality itself, but I think part of that is going more into depth about what asexuality is not as well. I know a lot of people here have had things like "oh, there's probably a medical reason", or "you're repressed" thrown in their faces, but there are also people for whom both those things are true, and it would be nice to at least have some direction in which to point them. People often come to AVEN with questions about themselves, or looking for answers, and too often the answer seems to lean towards "Well, you're probably asexual, so welcome!," even if it's not stated that way. Even saying "You might be asexual" can have this effect, because there's no discussion of what the "might not" might be.

I'm not by any means saying that asexuality is something that can or should be "fixed," but there are people who do have treatable sexual dysfunctions or people who are distressed by their lack of a sex drive, and AVEN should be a place for them to at least be pointed in the direction of answers, even if the forum itself doesn't offer them, not to mention that it would be great to hear from them around the forum, to offer a different perspective.

It's a delicate line to balance, because it can lead some people to thinking that "asexuality is treatable,"- which isn't the case. However, medical conditions and distress ARE treatable, and I think it could be helpful to have at least some information and insight into that around AVEN

#27 PerfectlyDarkTails

PerfectlyDarkTails

• AVEN Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

very real causes

Can you give us some actual evidence? I don't just mean citing some website that's repeating something someone somewhere said, who was just repeating someone who'd got their information from the National Enquirer, which got its information from a fortune cookie... I've read a number of articles on this matter. Citations for solid scientific research (or even lousy research) about causes of lack of sexual interest are lacking. Research on the causes of not experiencing sexual attraction is limited to a single master's thesis on asexuality that regards it as non-pathological.

Bad wording and a bit of an emotional outburst on my part, but I do believe that there is a good basis for investegation. Medical dramas had to have "some" form of scientific research before broadcasting it, thats how british medical dramas work as I understand them. Something, in some form have to be cited in the credits, if my limited knowledge of british law is correct, it is good to get any physical/mental issues get noticed in the media, as long as it is throughly researched, portrayed well and does not cause unnessessary panic.

For me im facing the real threat of Prolactinoma as I have Hyperprolactinaemia, if someone did research it further, I could be a candidate as a test subject, if I do have that. I have symtoms of it, the gradual decline in sexual interest being one of them, as I did have a much higher level of interest in my earlier adult life.

A bit of an idea came to mind, with people that do suffer these right through the teen years aand early adult life, that person could be more mentally adjusted to take on a asexual life? Just a thought, nothing more.

#28 Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

It's my impression that it's pretty widely accepted that Hyperprolactinaemia can cause loss of sexual desire. However, as asexuality is generally understood as not experiencing sexual attraction rather than not experiencing sexual desire, it's not clear why AVEN should put information about things believed to cause loss of sexual desire (with some of these alleged causes of loss of sexual desires being more likely to be actual causes than others.)

#29 Member33070

Member33070

A-Grade AVENite

• AVEN Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

x

#30 Faelights

Faelights

~Royal Chat Kitteh~

• AVEN Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

Spoiler

Holy wow, sounds like a pretty big project. I'd say it's time to start amassing a team, if we're going to put up something like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users