Famous Asexuals

Here's a list from Wikipedia of people that were probably asexual.

Whee! Two of hem are idols of mine (Asimov and Tesla) and I have great respect for two of the others.

Who the heck was Paul Erdös, though? (Goes and researches...)

EDIT: I suppose the link might help, hm? (Oops)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asexuals

I don't see Asimov on that list....

also may I momentarily derail and say that the Foundation series are the best series of books I think I've ever read.

Paul Erdos (pronounced Air-dish) was one of the foremost mathematicians of the 20th Century. There is a book called "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" and it's basically a biography of Erdos and is well worth getting to gain an insight into his life and works.

Whee! Two of hem are idols of mine (Asimov and Tesla) and I have great respect for two of the others.

I don't see Asimov on that list....

*whacks forehead* Ok, so I misread Newton. What the heck is wih me recently??

OK, so correction to above: One of them is one of my idols, and I have great respect for three of the others. (I have great respect for all the famous inventors/theorists/philosophers/etc.)

If it WAS Asimov I would agree that he would be one of the people I would class as an idol of mine. As it is, I don't really know anything about any of those people except Tesla and only him because my crazy electronic engineer friend is going on about him all the time. Although I can say thanks for the sparking plug I guess :)

It must be damn near impossible to compile historic lists like that because you can't assume absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

I think it's interesting that Nikola Tesla is on that list. I have heard he had some OCD problems. I have OCD problems too; I wash my hands too much.

Cate Perfect

Paula Poundstone most likely.

Cate

I read several times that Cliff Richard might be an asexual as well...

Ugh. That god botherer. That's ALL i need.

Apologies to anyone who is actually religious I just really dislike cliff richard

• 2 weeks later...

It was mentioned on AVEN previously that Asimov was a bit of a sexual predator, according to an Internet site. He was also married (twice?). Not a good choice!

I believe Isaac Newton is a contender for asexuality-(he was very much like Tesla in character as well). There is an Internet theory that he might have been gay instead, but this doesn't seem to hold up to scrutiny.

Alan Rickman was mentioned by someone as being asexual a while back, as well.

Loki

Alan Rickman was mentioned by someone as being asexual a while back, as well.

I mentioned Alan Rickman but I also read it elsewhere as well, perhaps on this site, I'm not sure. I do know that Alan has lived with a woman for years. The assumption about his asexuality was after making a film called Mesmer where he was labelled 'asexual and aloof' with regard to some of the love scenes he was asked to film.

Cate Perfect

Emma Thompson also said he wasn't very interested. And Mr Rickman himself said, 'I've never been sexually voracious. I'll be sexual voracious next week.'

Cate

Is it just me who thinks that Alan Rickman is an incredibly interesting person? I love his body of work and find him fascinating to watch. There's so much going on in his face and demeanour.

Cate Perfect

Oh, no, you're not the only one. We have a few big Rickman fans here. I'm one. :)

Cate

Ack! I was going to write a post about G. B. Shaw (he was asexual), and I'm going to end up with a Rickmanic, OoT comment. Oh well...

Alan Rickman's voice melts me.

Has anyone seen that video clip by Texas where he tangos? It makes me all fuzzy inside. :oops:

Rickman is amazing. He was brilliant in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Die Hard -both films would have been truly appalling to watch without him. The way he mocked the dumb American actors by outacting them at every step was hilarious.

The trouble is That Alan Rickman is a snob and vastly prefers acting on stage rather than doing movies. I can't stand the theatre, it is just so dull, artificial, and anal in every way. And I can't understand how an actor could prefer it to the movies. I mean, with a movie you may have to do an average of 2-3 takes per scene, with up to 30 retakes if another actor is "difficult", but no more. When you're on the stage, you have to say the same old thing every night for months on end- must be the dullest thing imaginable.

Loki

I've often heard actors say though that the adrenaline rush with regard to standing in front of a live audience far outstrips anything in front of a camera because the feedback is instant.

Speaking as a former actor.... I prefer stage work myself too. It's a personal preference, so depending on who you ask you'll get different answers. I personally prefer stage because if you know theres one more take you can do, it's not as much of an adrenalin rush.

(Despite the fact that I have seen stage work go hideously wrong! Gah, I remember one bit where I was part of a hive-mind mob where people were supposed to say about 4 words at a time then the next person took over. I was saying about 60% of the lines because NO ONE REMEMBERED THEIR !@#$ LINES!)

Cate Perfect

I also prefer theatre. The time I was on television it was this sort of, 'Ok, stand here, move to here, say this and here we go! Action! ... OK...one more time...And once more...That's it, next scene!!' When you're used to being able to explore the character a bit longer than ten seconds it's a total let down. Theatre can be dull, but it can also be amazing. You know right then if the audience 'gets' you and the show is different every night and you really get to get inside the character.

TV or film is more like this weird rushing around then you wait months before finding out if anyone likes it. WTF?!

There's more craft to theatre acting because they can't edit your best performances together from twelve five minute takes, as well.

Cate

The trouble is That Alan Rickman is a snob and vastly prefers acting on stage rather than doing movies. I can't stand the theatre, it is just so dull, artificial, and anal in every way. And I can't understand how an actor could prefer it to the movies. I mean, with a movie you may have to do an average of 2-3 takes per scene, with up to 30 retakes if another actor is "difficult", but no more. When you're on the stage, you have to say the same old thing every night for months on end- must be the dullest thing imaginable.

Loki

Well, as a musician, I love performing. I don't record, but I think I would rather perform live because, well, it's LIVE. ALIVE. Everything you're doing is right at that moment, and it'll never be exactly the same as that. I prefer going to concerts as well rather than listening to CDs.

I can see that a lot of performers/actors might prefer the "live" performance of the stage. I mean, just the sheer danger of making a mistake with your words must spice things up.The trouble is, though, that you have to say the same old lines night after night. This might be fine for a week-long play, but when it runs 12 weeks+, it must get a bit wearing-plus the audience might well have to endure the odd forgetting of lines onstage etc., whereas TV/Movies can (usually!) edit any mistakes out.(I have to admit at this stage that I am biased and have had horrible stage fright from the earliest time I can remember!)

Not all actors hate the stage, though. Jack Nicholson said once that he loved the cinema because he only had to do a few takes per scene and he was done, whereas stage was repetitive.Can't for the life of me find the quote, though.

As regards music etc., I'm afraid I'm a Philistine there as well. I fall asleep at most concerts, unless it's one of those rousing triumphalist pieces such as from Beethoven, Wagner, Bizet, and Verdi. If I do listen to something quiet like Mozart etc., then I can only do so while listening to a CD and doing something else like reading.

Loki

Live R Perfect
The time I was on television it was this sort of, 'Ok, stand here, move to here, say this and here we go! Action! ... OK...one more time...And once more...That's it, next scene!!'

Wait a minute! You were on TV?! :shock:

Cate Perfect

Uh...

*runs away*

*locks self in cupboard*

*muffled* I don't want to talk about it.

Cate

Silly Green Monkey

When they were filming me, they didn't tell me it was video so I froze to give them a good picture. I haven't seen the commercial yet either, but others have.

Cate Perfect

Mine was about five years ago for a TV show that didn't make it through the first season. It was for a cable network, not one of the basic ones. And that's all you're getting outta me.

A couple of years later I was flipping through the channels at two am and there I was. Does the phrase, 'I wonder how much you have to drink before alcohol poisoning kicks in?' mean anything to you?

Cate

Mine was about five years ago for a TV show that didn't make it through the first season. It was for a cable network, not one of the basic ones. And that's all you're getting outta me.

A couple of years later I was flipping through the channels at two am and there I was. Does the phrase, 'I wonder how much you have to drink before alcohol poisoning kicks in?' mean anything to you?

Cate

Yes! I heard that phrase just last week on television but I can't remember which show.

*googling for Cates*

If I figure it out, I'll keep it quiet, but I intend to put my claim that I can find anything out on the net to the test. (-:þ

Cate Perfect

Oh Dear Lord.

I've never googled for me. ... Does that make me a freak?

I *did* check IMDB. Not there. *phew*

Cate