We're 6 months away!

The Worldpride march is 6 months away, and it's now time for some serious planning.

I need a small group of volunteers to lead the planning. Here are the main areas I'll need volunteers for.

- Monthly bulletin writer.

- Travel advisor (looking out for good flight offers, checking up on people's progress with booking etc.)

- Accommodation advisor (ditto)

- Planning pre-pride events (this may need several volunteers)

- Banner

- T-shirts and costumes

- Leaflets

- Other

We will from this point have regular (2 weekly/monthly depending on how things go) meetings to check up on progress.

Any volunteers please post here or PM me.

I volunteer to be the kitteh!!!

I vow to knock over as many things as possible, pounce after laser pointers, and to literally get "on top" of all important papers -- they make good nap spots.

(I'm pretty useless at planning travel things... I seriously need help. >_< )

I'm no good at this shit, but if I'm living anywhere nearby (hopefully) I may have room for one or two travelling kitties.

I'm no good at this shit, but if I'm living anywhere nearby (hopefully) I may have room for one or two travelling kitties.

I don't take up very much space at all! I'm an expert at curling up into a ball as I sleep so that I take up the least space possible.

Regarding volunteering, in all seriousness, I may be able to offer my services as a writer, but I'm too swamped to be a part of any committee. =P

I'm not all that good at it, but since I need to look at a lot of travel stuff for this year, I'm volunteering to help other people with flight plans. I'd offer to do entire travel plans, but I'm not sure how full my plate is going to be yet.

I'd prefer to deal with Canadian travelers or North American travelers first if possible; less confusing to my brain when dealing with stuff.

Guest member31022

I'm quite happy to help out with pre-pride events, though I wouldn't be keen on being in charge so much as just being an extra hand. I'm also happy to help start organising t-shirts and costumes, and I can come prepared with extra things (makeup, spare things) on the day for that too.

Finally, if no-one else wants to (seriously, please let someone else want to) I'd be happy to try and draft up some leafets if we need someone to.

Guest member25959

Fuuuuuuuuuu- and I still have no plan for this. No money neither! My Mom keeps offering for me to help with her job, hopefully I can raise some money with that. But then I can't afford my *coughs* surprise. :P

Plus there is the chance that my parents may visit London for the Olympics, I could possibly get a ''free trip'' out of that.

Paniiiiiiic

EDIT: Minus the part about my Parents, looks like I'm turning up alone. :P

Edited by Arca nine Huggles

I'd be happy to help with monthly bulletins or designing leaflets/handouts/shirts/costumes/banners/whatever. Actually producing some of that, though, will require help form someone who actually lives on the right continent.

Guest member31022

Well, I'm in the UK, and more specifically Oxford (so easy to travel to London for me), so if people want to design things and then send me on missions/errands, that works :)

Carmilla DeWinter

Well, I can sew, so making a banner/flag should be doable. I also volunteer my veil-poi, provided those are allowed by Pride London. I'd also help out with the leaflets, at least with the text portion.

oh, yeah, was there any kind of banner used at london pride last year? (to be carried in front, like the one at SF). And if so, would we be able to use it at worldpride?

Also, we should see if people are willing to make any kind of donations (I know I am). If so, it would be nice to look into setting up a way for people to donate to help pay for promotional materials, etc.

Also, I just want to throw out an idea before I forget: stickers were something that seemed popular at SF, unlike brochures, and some places that you can print stickers will let you print stuff on the back (the part you peel off) - so we could maybe have stickers with a graphic and site link on the front, and a couple lines of explanatory text on the back.

I'll pick this up again when I return to the UK at the weekend.

Re: donations. I've thought about this, but the idea makes me generally uneasy. I'm sure we could get a decent amount of money by asking for contributions on tumblr, but... iunno.

Maybe we should take things case by case. E.g. I will soon start a banner thread, and in that particular people could offer to partially pay for the banner. Etc.

Fuuuuuuuuuu- and I still have no plan for this. No money neither! My Mom keeps offering for me to help with her job, hopefully I can raise some money with that. But then I can't afford my *coughs* surprise. :P

Plus there is the chance that my parents may visit London for the Olympics, I could possibly get a ''free trip'' out of that.

Paniiiiiiic

Your mum is still turning up to see me, she just didn't tell you ;)

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

Paniiiiiiic

Your mum is still turning up to see me, she just didn't tell you ;)

Hahaha BOOM!

I would love to attend pre-Pride events... I'm going to be there for at least a full week before Pride, sooooo.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little swamped atm, but can probably help out a bit closer to the time.

Just an FYI, applications for walking groups are open until 4 May; so need to know numbers by then.

I'm a little swamped atm, but can probably help out a bit closer to the time.

Just an FYI, applications for walking groups are open until 4 May; so need to know numbers by then.

They are usually very informal at London. You can usually just turn up. However I'm going to apply soon - very soon - with an estimated number. Last I looked (about a week ago I think) the applications were not even open.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, whats going on with all this stuff?

I'm mega busy right now with work, uni and planning other events but after May I should have more time on my hands. I'm more than happy to produce leaflet material, my strengths are probs in that regard anyway, could probably sort out printing stickers and badges too if someone comes up with a design.

Is anyone doing this stuff yet????

If not I can start knocking out a leaflet text and post it up here for someone to fit into a leaflet design.

Ummmm, ok I might have just gone ahead and written a leaflet. Nothing like having a 3000 word essay to write to make you procrastinate.

Sorry if someone's already done this. Let me know what you think of the text. I was thinking about having it on a A4 page folded into 3. I know it is a lot of writing though so maybe people want it catchier? Also obvs the formatting is lost. Also, I know it doesn't cover everything and everyone, I don't think the layperson really needs to get into all the various permutations of asexuality. Its just an intro.

All you ever wanted to know about…

Asexuality

…but were afraid to ask

What is asexuality?

Asexuality is a term to describe people who don’t feel sexual attraction. Sexual attraction is not the same as romantic attraction and it is not a sexual disorder.

What is romantic attraction?

Asexual people don’t feel sexual attraction to people in the same way as sexual people. Most of us are attracted to people in a romantic way though, which means crushes, falling in love, hugs and kisses… everything sexual people feel for their partners just without the sex part. Romantic attraction can be directed towards the same sex, the opposite sex, or both sexes, just like sexual attraction.

Do asexual people have sex?

That is really up to the individual but some asexual people do have sex. In general people have sex for all sorts of reasons, peer pressure, wanting to make someone feel loved, enjoying pleasuring the person you love, coercion, obligation… asexual people are no different.

Why are asexuals marching in the Pride parade?

A fair number of asexuals are also homoromantic, biromantic and/or trans and as such have struggled with the same challenges that our sexual counterparts face in life. We are also a sexual minority and know what it’s like to not fit in, to feel alone, and to feel like there is something wrong with you.

We want asexuality to become more visible to help other people understand that they are not ‘wrong’ or alone. We also want to support other asexuals navigating the world of love, relationships and sex.

Are you sure you’re asexual?

Yes! Most asexuals will have thought long and hard about identifying as asexual. We know it’s not easy to understand but we are very much real and deserve to have our identity respected just like everyone else. Asexuality is something people struggle with for years and is definitely not just a passing phase.

You’re repressed!

No we’re not. Are you repressing being a straight person? Of course not. We’re not repressing sexual feelings, we don’t have them in the first place!

Were you sexually abused?

The vast majority of asexuals were not sexually abused, just like the vast majority of gay people were not sexually abused, or the vast majority of straight people for that matter! Sexual abuse may cause people to withdraw from sex and we welcome anyone who feels like that, but that is not why we are asexual, it is just the way are.

Is this a religious thing?

Most definitely not! Some asexuals are religious, some are atheists, some are agnostic. In this respect we’re just the same as any other group. Asexuality is not borne out of a strict social upbringing where sex is a negative thing, we are fully aware sex is fine and wonderful for most people. We just don’t have a desire for it.

Does that mean you’re celibate?

No. Celibacy is when someone feels sexual desire but chooses not to act on that feeling. We don’t feel any sexual desire in the first place so we’re not denying ourselves anything.

Isn’t asexuality just a sexual disorder?

The psychiatric and medical world has often viewed asexuality as a disorder and the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual contains a number of disorders which bad clinicians can diagnose asexuals with. Asexuality is not a mental disorder any more than homosexuality is. It is not a problem with physical arousal or hormones. We don’t know where it comes from but it feels perfectly normal to us.

Just like the battles fought with the medical and psychiatric establishments by gay people and trans people, asexuals are currently fighting to get disorders that problematise asexuality off the DMV.

Help I’m in a relationship with an asexual!

Awesome! Good for you. It might be hard but you need to remember to respect your partner’s wishes. If they don’t want sex, don’t push, coerce, guilt trip or blackmail.

You need to talk. A lot. Figure out what you both want in a relationship, what your boundaries are, and how often, if at all, sex will be ok.

Actively seek consent. This is good practice for any relationship but keep checking in with your partner, maybe they’ve said it’s ok to have a naked cuddle, don’t just assume that means you get to escalate things without checking.

Relationships can be tough when you and your partner have different sexual needs but they are not doomed to failure. Many asexuals are in happy, loving and committed relationships with sexual partners. After all, love is about far more than just sex.

Check out the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network (asexuality.org) for more info and support

I kind of wanted to add a 'Help I think I'm asexual!' bit in there but I ran out of space and I didn't feel like I had much to say about it except, fucking a, come to AVEN and have some cake.

Also also, we could actually make a zine instead of a leaflet. It will probably be more attractive to people when handing stuff out and they might actually take it home to read rather than chucking it in the next bin. Thoughts?

I'm happy to co-ordinate this if people want to submit stuff to me.

OMG SORRY HAD TO ADD ANTOHER THING. Can we also get purple tshirts that say Amoeba Colony on them? I really want one.

Wow, good job~~~!! (Although I'm not sure what your essay thinks about you not working on it...)

I like the very candid and friendly tone ^_^ and even though there were a couple of places where I thought the wording could be tweaked a little, I think it's pretty brilliant otherwise!

I don't know if we can make a zine, but will there be more space on one as compared to a leaflet??? I reallyl think we should put in something about aromantics in the romantic attraction section, and something more about people who don't want to engage in sex in the "do asexuals engage in sex" section.

I'm sorta iffy on including grey-asexuality -- that is, I would like to include it, but I don't know if it would be considered information overload for a leaflet/zine.

Yeah I was basically trying to fit it onto two sides of A4 and ran out of space. Thats why I though a zine would be better.

I'm assuming that cost-wise though, zines would be a bit more expensive to produce? i.e. Less zines for the same amount of money?

Well, I guess it would be more expensive because you're using more pages but I presume for leaflets people would want fancy printing done whereas zines are just going to be b&w photocopies. I guess the cost would be offset in that manner.

• 1 month later...