Odd things you used to think

Waist of Thyme

Waist of Thyme

It can be at any time during your life; not just limited to when you were little.

I thought astronauts were a different species. I thought that their faces were completely black and that they collected things that floated into space.

The first time I saw a garbage truck take our garbage (I was 3) I thought they were stealing it. I screamed "THEY'RE STEALING OUR TRASH!"

robintamblyn

I used to think that you could mate any kind of animals together to get a hybrid of the two, and I was confused as to why this didn't happen more often... :mellow:

When I was small I was confused about the idea of models, I thought that because they were called models it meant they weren't real people and they were kind of plastic robots with names :D

I thought that if you ate tongue you would grow another tongue yourself.

I used to think whenever you hear a song on the radio it was the band playing that song live at the studio.

I'm sure I've had plenty of weird ones. For some reason I can't think of much more than that now.

I used to think whenever you hear a song on the radio it was the band playing that song live at the studio.

Me too!! I also thought that radio was like TV, where a song would be on at the same time every day.

i also thought something similar to this. i used to think that if the radio were playing a song in the car and we got out, the same song would be playing when we got back in the car...

i also thought something similar to this. i used to think that if the radio were playing a song in the car and we got out, the same song would be playing when we got back in the car...

I thought that's how tv worked. Whatever program would resume when you turned the tv back on. I can't tell you how dissappointed I was to find that was false. :(

Hoo boy.

So I had this... imaginary friend... called lava panther, long past when kids are supposed to have them. He was a panther made out of lava. He could stretch his mouth infinitely high if he wanted to. His body was so hot that he had to stand on his claws or else he would vaporize the ground beneath him and sink to the center of the earth (one of my stories now has somebody with a similar curse, only he does sink to the center of the earth). I thought of him as a soul and that I was his prophet. I figured when the time was right to fight the SAS members, I would turn into him. Here's where it gets weird. SAS stood for Secret Adult Stuff. The idea here was that everybody over 18 turned into a monster of some sort and ate each child when they turned 18 so that they could feast on their blood. Kid-blood was magic. They then sent in a replacement adult so that none of the kids would get suspicious. All adults had monster forms, metal forms, and dark forms. I have some drawings of things like a dog with a fat tail ten times as long as its body and a blue blob with one large eye, one small eye, two red pointy tails, and two red horns. Things like that were what the adults turned into. I got two other kids to say that they had monster forms like lava panther, but I don't think they fully understood that I was basically creating a new religion, right down to the world beginning with two monster adults, Andrea and Axe. The idea was also that those who did whatever the grown-ups said became mind-controlled slaves that were harvested year after year for their blood. Luckily, lava panther was there to counter all of this stuff. He could make a shield that could withstand anything, but only lasted for two minutes and make a ball of pure energy that, though small, burned through anything. He also had a fire form and a light form. I believed that in every book, movie, song, or video game, there was at least one clue about SAS: In the song Unwritten, it describes how the one sensation that slaves to the adults could still feel was rain. In the show Yu-gi-oh!, it was showing how lava panther and I were like yami Yugi and Yugi. I didn't understand how the other kids couldn't see what was so obvious. There was a lot more, but it would probably bore you even more than I have already. Anyways, I think starting a religion in third grade has to be the strangest belief a kid has ever had. I've since decided to use a few of the monsters and powers I thought of in later stories.

. . .but there are sounds

enter little-stab and mother. mother is driving the car, little-stab is looking out hir window, head partially out of the car

little-stab: Lady, there is a bad smell, did you fart?

mother: No, but if you keep saying that I will and I'll roll up the windows too!

ls giggles and sticks out hir tongue

ls: NO! If you didn't do it then what is that smell?

m: Its called a sewage plant.

ls: Sewage plant? What kind of flower is that?

exuant

SorryNotSorry

I can remember that what I wanted most for my 6th birthday was to be 21---oh goody! cars, guns, and booze!!!

The Great WTF

When I was small I was confused about the idea of models, I thought that because they were called models it meant they weren't real people and they were kind of plastic robots with names :D

....But they are.

Anyway... I used to think that Lord of the Rings was true. I thought all the Elves had just left (not sure where the Dwarves went...) and Hobbits had simply interbred with men and the current human race was the result.

I also thought that Gene Roddenberry could see the future...

SorryNotSorry

m: Its called a sewage plant.

ls: Sewage plant? What kind of flower is that?

LOL!

When I was about 7, the old guy at the end of the street was gardening in his front yard. I saw a potato bug crawling around on a pile of weeds and I asked the guy what those bugs eat.

"They eat bulbs," he told me.

I thought man, those bugs must find it tough going, having to chew up all that glass and metal and filament wire.

Every time I used to hear "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" as a kid I would wonder why that lady wasn't in jail even though she was outright admitting to murder and letting her brother take the fall for it.

I used to think that steamed rice was streamed rice, cannon balls were canyon balls. Then I thought for a while that teachers actually lived in the schools they teach at.

When I was a kid, I wondered how traffic lights turned from red to green to yellow and back again. I came up with the idea of a little man (or woman) inside each traffic light, managing a ton of switches to make the lights change colour.

The first Michael Jackson video I can remember seeing was Thriller. For years after, whenever I saw Michael Jackson, I figured he was a werewolf xD

I honestly thought that vegetarians and veterinarians were the same thing.

I thought duct tape was "duck tape" and that it was meant for ducks o_O;

....But they are.

...I think you may be on to something there, actually :blink:

I used to think that the turn signals in cars were there to remind the driver where they intend to turn.

I used to think being older meant you gained wisdom and got all the answers.

I want my money back on the growing up thing. I feel cheated.

Hoo boy.

So I had this... imaginary friend... called lava panther, long past when kids are supposed to have them. He was a panther made out of lava. He could stretch his mouth infinitely high if he wanted to. His body was so hot that he had to stand on his claws or else he would vaporize the ground beneath him and sink to the center of the earth (one of my stories now has somebody with a similar curse, only he does sink to the center of the earth). I thought of him as a soul and that I was his prophet. I figured when the time was right to fight the SAS members, I would turn into him. Here's where it gets weird. SAS stood for Secret Adult Stuff. The idea here was that everybody over 18 turned into a monster of some sort and ate each child when they turned 18 so that they could feast on their blood. Kid-blood was magic. They then sent in a replacement adult so that none of the kids would get suspicious. All adults had monster forms, metal forms, and dark forms. I have some drawings of things like a dog with a fat tail ten times as long as its body and a blue blob with one large eye, one small eye, two red pointy tails, and two red horns. Things like that were what the adults turned into. I got two other kids to say that they had monster forms like lava panther, but I don't think they fully understood that I was basically creating a new religion, right down to the world beginning with two monster adults, Andrea and Axe. The idea was also that those who did whatever the grown-ups said became mind-controlled slaves that were harvested year after year for their blood. Luckily, lava panther was there to counter all of this stuff. He could make a shield that could withstand anything, but only lasted for two minutes and make a ball of pure energy that, though small, burned through anything. He also had a fire form and a light form. I believed that in every book, movie, song, or video game, there was at least one clue about SAS: In the song Unwritten, it describes how the one sensation that slaves to the adults could still feel was rain. In the show Yu-gi-oh!, it was showing how lava panther and I were like yami Yugi and Yugi. I didn't understand how the other kids couldn't see what was so obvious. There was a lot more, but it would probably bore you even more than I have already. Anyways, I think starting a religion in third grade has to be the strangest belief a kid has ever had. I've since decided to use a few of the monsters and powers I thought of in later stories.

You should turn this into a children's book :D

I used to think that if something was "priceless" that meant it was free.

When my cousin was learning the alphabet she would always say "double-me" instead of "double-u" (w).

Hoo boy.

You should turn this into a children's book :D

After I realized that it wasn't true, I thought of doing that, but I decided against it when I started to use concepts from it in other book ideas. Don't worry; almost every aspect, including the ones I didn't type, will be used. Besides, a book like that would probably be believed by a lot of kids and that would be bad.

I used to think when I was watching a 3-D movie in a theater, and something jumped out of the screen right at me, that everyone else also saw it come right at me, and not at them. Like I had sat in the designated seat they had agreed to pick on. When we got out of the movie, I asked my mom, "Out of all the people in the theater, why did they have to pick ME?"

Hoo boy.

This. Is the most epic childhood belief!

Sure, when I was a kid a created many spinoffs in my head of cartoons I watched; most notable Mousey, which was actually a spinoff of Dexter's Lab, who was a mouse that had experienced a chemical spill thus giving him a semi-Brooklyn accent and the power of...every power. This I had in my head for a couple of years, and I enjoyed a great amount of stories that it'd produced, mainly because there is a lot that you can do with every power. But it's no as though I believed in it.

There are a few things that I did believe. One of them being, once I had seen the movie Homeward Bound when I was 4, that on my 5th birthday I would have the joy of turning into a dog. Which I really looked forward to. I really liked the idea of becoming one, and I'd even played a game where I could turn into a dog and back at will. Much time I spent crawling around on my hands and knees pretending to be a dog.

Another of mine was when I was about to go to sleep one night and I burst into tears at the thought of dying and then later being reincarnated as a germ.

I thought other languages just spelled all words the same, but said them with a different sound. Boy was I wrong. :lol:

I thought sealing wax was wax you put on the ceiling

I also thought (as I'm sure most kids do) that the people who worked at stores also lived there, and I thought it would be awesome to work at a store like Superstore or Walmart because you could eat whatever you wanted, sleep on their beds and play with all the toys.

Also, our old washing machine, which we kept in the creepy basement, would make a loud beeping sound when it was finished, but for years I didn't know what it was. Sometimes it would go off at night after I'd gone to bed, and of course, the only time I heard it was when I hadn't fallen asleep yet, so I thought it was an alarm to tell my parents I was still awake.

CrazyCatLover

I was raised Roman Catholic and the priest always emphasized that the bread had become "Christ's body." I used to wonder why they hadn't run out of his body in almost 2000 years. Why yes, I am a fairly literal person...

I thought that rainbow touches the ground and you can go to the end of the rainbow and when you get there it lookes like mist of many colors and you can walk through it. I envied all those pople who were so lucky to have the end of the rainbow on their garden. :lol: I didn´t get why my mom never wanted to go with me there.

Other, not so poetic misunderstanding: When I was 7 or 8, I thought prostitutes are something like lawyers, judges or similar jobs which has something to do with court of justice. It was because of an article about law suit. In the title of this article there was written something about prostitutes at court. A word "prostitute" sounded to me like something complicated for which you have to study at least for 5 years at university. :lol: Thank gods I didn´t want to be a judge, or lawyer or :lol: :lol: "prostitute" when I was a little child.

if you don't know the concept of "MY Side of the Mountain", it's about this kid who runs away to live on his own in the woods. I'd read the book, but for some reason after watching the movie, I thought it was perfectly acceptable to try and run away to live off the land.

I also used to think that if I cut my dolls or stuffed animals hair it would grow back.... still have a few bald toys.

Archived