Demiguy/demigirl and agender. What's the difference?

cometa

I have recently been questioning my gender, and I have realised that I don't really feel male. I dress male, I look male, I sound male, I do lots of things generally considered to be male, but I don't feel male. I have no issue with being in a male body, but equally, I don't think that I would have an issue if I were in a female body.

I came across the term demiguy which according to the Yada wiki means:

Can be used to describe either someone assigned male at birth who feels but the barest association with that identification or as someone assigned female at birth who is transmasculine but not wholly binary-identified, so that they feel a vague association with social or physical "masculinity" but not one strong enough to justify an absolute self-identification as a "man."

And agender or genderless is defined as:

One who feels a dissociation from both ends of the binary and all in between; an identity characterized by absence.

However, I'm still not clear on what is meant by "barest association". Personally, I don't feel male, but I still present as male; the world sees me as male, and I don't care.

Can anyone help me to clear up my confusion?

Good question. Many Agenders (from what I've come across) find their physical sex to be irrelevant. By "barest association" could serve as feeling a limited degree of affirmation to your physical sex, albeit not gender-wise. A possible way to describe this could be Cis-sexual? You could accept and identify with you're physical sex, although are non-binary gendered? Hope that helps a bit.

Nalle Neversure

I have recently been questioning my gender, and I have realised that I don't really feel male. I dress male, I look male, I sound male, I do lots of things generally considered to be male, but I don't feel male. I have no issue with being in a male body, but equally, I don't think that I would have an issue if I were in a female body.

I came across the term demiguy which according to the Yada wiki means:

Can be used to describe either someone assigned male at birth who feels but the barest association with that identification or as someone assigned female at birth who is transmasculine but not wholly binary-identified, so that they feel a vague association with social or physical "masculinity" but not one strong enough to justify an absolute self-identification as a "man."

And agender or genderless is defined as:

One who feels a dissociation from both ends of the binary and all in between; an identity characterized by absence.

However, I'm still not clear on what is meant by "barest association". Personally, I don't feel male, but I still present as male; the world sees me as male, and I don't care.

Can anyone help me to clear up my confusion?

The "barest association" is related to how you feel about yourself. The way you present yourself does not necessarily tell anything about your identity (it can, of course).

So (very overstereotypical simplification):

• One feels a bit male, but not much: demiguy (if one wishes to use that term)
  • One does not associate oneself with either male, female nor anything inbetween: agender/genderless (again, if one wishes to use the term)

It also seems to me (after reading the Gender Forum for quite a while) that it is quite common not to associate oneself strongly with one's birth sex. But it does not always make one transgendered. It may just mean that thre has not been an issue on one's life that would have made one think about gender stuff.

(Transgender: 1. umbrella term for a person whose gender and sex do not match up

Cisgender: a person whose sex and gender match)

Interesting. Cis sexual and bi gendered.

Good question. Many Agenders (from what I've come across) find their physical sex to be irrelevant. By "barest association" could serve as feeling a limited degree of affirmation to your physical sex, albeit not gender-wise. A possible way to describe this could be Cis-sexual? You could accept and identify with you're physical sex, although are non-binary gendered? Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I was kind of thinking that it would be something like that, but I just wasn't sure.

Archived