Is there a name for someone who is not interested and does not want to have sex?

Beachwalker

Is there a name for someone who is not interested and does not want to have sex? I used to describe myself as celibate but that was incorrect and asexual means not feeling sexual attraction but doesn't mean you are not interested in having sex. So I was then thinking nonlibidoist asexual but for me the lack of interest and want for sex impacts my life more than a lack of sexual attraction. It feels more like the primary rather than the secondary so was wondering if their was a name for it with asexual then being a subtype of that label. Or is a nonlibidoist who also happens to be asexual the best label for me?

Nonlibidoist is someone who totally lacks a sex drive. If that still doesn't fit, I guess nonsexual works.

I don't know what you should say, but I think even if you found a label which you felt comfortable with, most other people wouldn't understand it. So, like, if you were to tell other people that you are a *blank* then they probably wouldn't understand what you meant. I mean there is already so much ignorance about the term asexual to begin with. Most people I tell that I am asexual think that I just made the idea up myself. They don't know that anyone else calls themselves this.

I personally think the term 'asexual' is enough, and that should encompass any reason for not having sex, given the etymology of the word - 'a' as a prefix meaning lack of/none/not/without.

This site is relatively new, given asexuality as a recognised concept is relatively new, so the site creators have naturally taken it upon themselves to assign their own meaning as they see it. This isn't set in stone however and is always up for challenge. And I'd argue that normal grammatical conventions should apply.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I would say non-sexual but I suppose asexual is possible. But the problem with that might be that the sexuality isn't the main point here, it's your lack of interest, which is more to do wit the act not your inborn sexuality. Which is why I agree non-sexual would be better. But most asexuals are non-sexual too. It's almost the same thing. I think having a term you feel more comfortable with is important and if you can explain why you use it to others who might be confused, it shouldn't really be a problem which one, or whatever label you choose to use for this.

I guess I always thought as being asexual also meant that you weren't personally interested in sex. I call myself asexual since I am not attracted to anyone, and therefore I don't feel a want or a need to have sex. But I have had sex, but not because I personally wanted it but because my partner wanted it.

Personally, I don't think that most asexuals want to have sex, but they might do it for other reasons other than an innate want,need or attraction.

Did you mean that you wanted a word for an asexual that would never compromise for sex or never has the drive to masturbate?

I don't think there is a word for "asexual who doesn't want to have sex", nor is there a word for "asexual who does want to have sex". I think you just have to say the whole thing out.

Although, if you describe yourself as asexual, most people will assume you're not interested in sex. Even on AVEN, where we know better than to assume that all asexuals do not want sex, this is still the "default". That is, given a random asexual, I would guess that they don't want sex, unless they specify otherwise.

I have never been interested in sex, never could understand why so many people go on aboiut it as if it were something magical, it just creates extra laundry, wrecks the bed that's if you bother with one, annoys the neighbours, that's if your the noisy type that loves to let the world know your having sex, and creates extra mouths to feed if you decide to have unprotected sex, not to mention spreading diseases. Sex is just a way to reproduce at least it was considered to be so once upon a time, if you want excersize go to a gym or take up yoga or something.

Did you mean that you wanted a word for an asexual that would never compromise for sex or never has the drive to masturbate?

No not necessarily to compromise for sex but yes to never has a drive to masturbate. I have masturbated and had sex, back when I was trying hard to be a good sexual, under the impression maybe I just needed more practise or hadn't met the right one yet, so it wasn't from a lack of trying. It didn't feel like I was compromising for sex but I did feel I was compromising myself. It was very wearing spiritually and I couldn't maintain the act for want of a better word, for long in a relationship.

No not necessarily to compromise for sex but yes to never has a drive to masturbate. I have masturbated and had sex, back when I was trying hard to be a good sexual, under the impression maybe I just needed more practise or hadn't met the right one yet, so it wasn't from a lack of trying. It didn't feel like I was compromising for sex but I did feel I was compromising myself. It was very wearing spiritually and I couldn't maintain the act for want of a better word, for long in a relationship.

I think nonlibidoist fits then. You on top of being asexual you also don't have a libido. Some asexuals have a libido, some don't, but we all pretty much share the fact that we don't have a libido directed towards people.

I think nonlibidoist fits then. You on top of being asexual you also don't have a libido. Some asexuals have a libido, some don't, but we all pretty much share the fact that we don't have a libido directed towards people.

I guess I was kind of under the impression this wasn't the case and that this was the reason why not having a libido directed towards people was not included in Avens definition of asexual. Any idea why it's not included in the definition if this is the case? Is it politically incorrect to make this assumption? If it is the case then asexual would be the most accurate description for me if not then probably nonsexual is better.

Archived