Asexuality Infographics

goaTmcFEE

Hmm, I like it. Makes sense to me. What exactly do you mean by high/median/low sexal attraction though? Is it referring to the frequency, intensity or both?

TheTeaCritter

Gonna be a pain in the butt and add that it's not that asexuals don't want to sleep with anyone ever, just that they're not attracted to people sexually and therefore, don't find having sex with people really on the menu so much. However, that's ruling out asexuals who have sex simply because they like the feel of it - because technically those who are asexuals who want to sleep with people, but for their own personal pleasure rather than out of any intrinsic sexual attraction to that person. I think that could also apply to those asexuals who are willing to compromise with their sexual partners on having relations. Or what about asexuals who have sex for the purposes of having children?

I'm just saying that wording is going to be pretty important in this.

My other suggestion (this is now the designer in me rearing its head) would be to play with the format more. There are some fabulous infographics out there that make good use of dynamic space. I think there's a really cool possibility here for some solid use of graphics in a more unique manner than simply going down the center of the page.

Are you sticking with that font or did you have a different choice in mind? I do appreciate the neutrality of the san serif typeface but I do feel like a sans serif with more personality* might make this infographic a bit more fun, especially with the color palette.

I know you said you weren't quite done yet, but keep an eye on your hierarchy and typesetting as well. The way 'Orientation' in the title is below the rest of the header makes the headline a more awkward read than it needs to be.

a;lskjdf Sorry random critique. I know you're not done and this isn't the final version but I just wanted to point out the things I noticed!

*Neutraface is just an example, but there are a ton of fun sans serifs out there that I think would be attactive to use on a project like this!

Pretty.

So, there's an explanation of the column, but what's the logic behind the rainbow circle? What do different points on the sweep mean?

If someone has ideas as to what the different colors could mean and what the rings could mean, I'm all ears.

It certainly looks interesting, but without determining what the colors and rings mean it's pretty much impossible to explain anything with it. Where would you place someone who is exclusively heterosexual (that would be 0 on the Kinsey scale) on the spectrum (your 4th figure) for example?

I did try to come up with something helpful by the way, but grey-asexuality got the better of me.. Still, I'll give it some more thought, if I can come up with anything, I'll post it (don't hold your breathe..).

2pq3qev.jpg

Disclaimer: I can't draw at all, nevermind in 3D, so use your imagination.

So here it is. It isn't pretty, but I'll try to explain.

First of all I changed the shape into an upside down pyramid of some kind, thus the "unneeded" territory. The decrease of width indicates the decrease of frequency, but NOT the decrease of intensity. I know this can be a bit confusing, but my problem with the original shape was that the bottom (black-and-white) circle was meaningless, as if one never feels sexual attraction it makes no sense to talk about the intensity of it.

Our two main axes are "Intensity" (as in intensity of sexual attraction) which explains the rings (the wider the stronger, but this is only true in 2D) and "Frequency" (as in frequency of feeling sexual attraction, which decreases towards the apex of the pyramid). The "asexual axis" (which should be a bit thicker to fill out the smallest circle) indicates those who feel zero sexual attraction. In their case the frequency axis is irrelevant, so they become an axis, or a "constant" if you like.

The K-points represent the Kinsey scale, so in this case the color red (or rather the top half of the axis going from K0 to K6) means exclusively heterosexual (K0), and that light bluish color (or rather the bottom half of the axis going from K0 to K6) at K6 means exclusively homosexual. I don't think I worded that very well, but lets move on. The rest of the K-points should be self-explanatory if one is familiar with the Kinsey-scale. Having two K1, K2, K3 (bisexual), K4 and K5 points is a bit of a weakness at this point, those should be the same color respectively in this case anyway. The colors are totally interchangeable of course.

That shapeless "thing" around the axis called "grey area" represents grey-asexuality (should be imagined in 3D). The basic premise of creating this area is that one might be grey-A because they feel sexual attraction very rarely (those towards the apex), or not as intensely as "normal" sexuals (those towards the top). It can also be a combination of the two of course (feeling it rarely and even then not as strongly as most sexuals). Note that this area should be pretty much shapeless (but always bordering with the "asexual axis"), as it's impossible to tell when one feels sexual attraction strongly and/or frequently enough to qualify as a sexual. Maybe this indefinable border should be indicated with using a broken line as its outline.

So that's it at the moment. It's obviously far from perfect (and I don't mean just the "drawing"), but I guess it's a start.

What do you guys think?

So I was wondering, what if we tried using some sort of Venn diagram? I remember this one from school just because I thought it was pretty:

5-VD-ellipses-labelled.gif

I'm not saying we should use that one specifically (there aren't enough categories), but suppose we labeled different shapes in a Venn for different types of romantic and physical attraction. The idea being that we could account for people having a wide variety of combinations without putting any two as opposites. I'm not sure how aromantic asexuals would fit in, although from my math classes I'm aware the space outside a shape can be as important as the space inside. :)

Here's another, more complex one.

grunsymm7.gif

Okay, this one was just funny. I need to get off Google.

venn_diagram_example.gif

My initial reaction to that color spectrum is... you think sexuality is complicated and multidimensional, but can't think of a single example of what's complicated about it. At the same time, I understand that once you start naming specific examples, you have to name them all, which would be impossible and inelegant.

Also, as far as the asexual spectrum goes, I think that also has multiple dimensions to it. I think the minimal model is the Double Storms Model (two dimensions for sexual attraction, two for romantic attraction). But then, I don't think there are sharp lines between the quadrants. And it ignores attraction to non-binary genders. It ignores people who don't use the concept of romantic orientation. It ignores other dimensions, like limerence, aesthetic attraction, sensual attraction, sex drive, sexual desire, sexual repulsion, etc. (not to mention people who do not use these concepts, do not think they are important, or do not distinguish them from other concepts).

Come to think of it, including all of these asexual dimensions would also be impossible and inelegant.

• Aromantic
  • Homo
  • Bi
  • Pan
  • Hetero
  • Poly
  • (any more you suggest to me that fit)

I also heard of sapio. I have no idea how you can fit that in there since the attraction is based on a person's intelligence, not their sex/gender.

I actually like the initial diagram.

Sexuality, or lack of it is incredibly complex. Trying to diagrammatically show all the intricacies involved seems likely to lead to an end result that is neither clear nor helpful. When you are selecting a model you have to be aware of the constraints imposed by it, in this case if asexual visibility is the key point you are trying to convey then what else should be shown?

In my opinion the 2d colour spectrum you have used is useful in showing that there are a variety of sexual preferences and orientations, but does not lend itself to describing any particular one. Having ssexuals at the bottom of the cylinder, hypersexuals at the top, and most people inbetween gets people thinking "where am I in that". If they can acknowledge that there are people who are more frequently sexually attracted to others, and people who are less frequently sexually attracted then having people who are never sexually attracted to others.

The danger in my opinion of trying to identify sexualities within the spectrum is that a 2d space isn't large enough to accurately depict everyones sexuality. To do this would require as many dimensions as there are variables considered (e.g. gender, sex, race, intelligence....) and missing out one gives the potential to offend. As an example if someone is between "pink/magenta" and "green" does that make them "blue" or "yellow" (substituting the colours for the different sexualities of course)?

• Aromantic
  • Homo
  • Bi
  • Pan
  • Hetero
  • Poly
  • (any more you suggest to me that fit)

I also heard of sapio. I have no idea how you can fit that in there since the attraction is based on a person's intelligence, not their sex/gender.

Maybe we could use inner and outer rings for stuff that bridges genders?

as pictures they are pretty

as to explaining what asexuality is and isn't..the confusion just got added too

asexuality is not complex..it's the lack of sexual attraction..not on weekdays, not with that person but with this person, not only if you eat fish..it's the lack of sexual attraction

where it becomes complicated is when people try and bend/change/adapt that one definition ..to make it fit themselves..then declare that as the definition

Archived