Asexual Slurs?

threepointrest

threepointrest

I'm fairly new to the whole asexual idea (only began exploring my own demisexual leanings within then past week) and I'm still trying to figure out parts of various social aspects.

One question I have is, Are there any slurs or "no-no words" pertaining to asexuality/demisexuality/semi sexuality? E.g.,mtgs LGBTQ community has the magical F word (that I won't repeat. If you don't know it, good for you. You're better off for it)

I've heard of people using the words "frigid" or "prude" but neither of those seem absolutely terrible. Are there any other words along those lines, or worse, I should be aware of?

Any word that could potnetially be insulting is always up to how the reciever wants to recieve it.

Batman's Ace

I can't think of any that apply specifically to aces or graces. See, most of the words I've heard like that are essentially accusations that a person is doing certain things too much or with the wrong people. But when activity is very rare or nonexistent...I can't imagine what a person would say to be really, thoroughly insulting.

People can be insulted by anything they choose to be, of course. And I'm sure someone will try to invent slurs eventually. Frankly, though, I wouldn't be put out over being called an amoeba or anything. That would show a clear lack of biological knowledge on the part of the speaker, which I could ignore (after being amused).

I'm interested if anyone else can think of any, though.

JJButterworth

Not really because not many people are aware of asexuality and how can you hate something that you don't know about. To spin this tread around, I have always thought that an asexual calling a sexual "a fucker" that has a totally different meaning.

ignoranceisn'tbliss

Don't know of any words that exist yet. I don't even know why some of these words exist. For instance, if you were to look up that F word you stated, it means a bundle of sticks. I suppose if you say it angrily it becomes an insult no matter what it means, but it really does make the one who said it look like a stupid arse in my opinion when they use such pointless words to insult something of a different meaning.

Guest member25959

I don't think there are any, so far. :P

Meh, it all depends on how the person in question interprets a comment. Anything could be considered a ''slur'' that way.

Well, from middle school up through early college I'm sure the cultural pressure can produce a lot of slander that otherwise wouldn't be very painful. I can't think of any particular terms, but just being outside of the whole sex craze or different in general can make things a little difficult sometimes. In these cases, people tend to come up with their own ways to insult somebody.

It's strange that you don't find "frigid" to be all that terrible, though. To me, "virgin" tends to be the word most used to insult a guy who hasn't had sex, while "frigid" or "tease" is what I heard the most for girls. Naturally, that died down with age and maturity.

Batman's Ace

Don't know of any words that exist yet. I don't even know why some of these words exist. For instance, if you were to look up that F word you stated, it means a bundle of sticks. I suppose if you say it angrily it becomes an insult no matter what it means, but it really does make the one who said it look like a stupid arse in my opinion when they use such pointless words to insult something of a different meaning.

When I first heard that word, I was completely baffled. Why did that guy call that other guy a bundle of sticks? Five years later, I now know the intended meaning, and it still makes no sense to me.

I hope someone comes up with a slur like the n word or f word for us. It will suck for awhile, but then we'll get organized, emancipate ourselves, and eventually the word will become banished from polite society. Then once we get comfortable with our emancipation we'll start calling each other the word as a symbol of our power and liberation.

"Slut-shamer" comes to mind. =P

But anyway, I agree with what some of the other posters have already said. Whether or not something is a slur depends on the person receiving it.

But anyway, I agree with what some of the other posters have already said. Whether or not something is a slur depends on the person receiving it.

Me too.

I'm sometimes called "sheltered" or "naive" whenever I have an "incredibly ace moment."

But I don't take offense since people are usually right when they say this :-\.

in this day and age almost anyone will find offense in absolutely anything just to say they are offended

well i am offended that they are offended

never odd or even

you get annoying ones like frigid and prude, or inexperienced, or dare i say it, virgin. or christian. or something with negative connotations implied. whatever that means.

my friend affectionatly calls us 'lego men' cause 'the parts work but its that one bit that just wont fit in!!' *sigh* you cant win....

As others have said, there aren't really specific asexual slurs, or at least slurs born of deliberate hatred and malevolence like fag(got). Though 'frigid' and 'prude' and their ilk can, depending on the asexual and the context, be annoying/frustrating/offensive, my experience is that they're most frequently a result of someone not knowing about asexuality, which tends to be easier to deal with.

Much worse, however, are the, for example, 'broken', 'something wrong with you', 'not human' and 'asexuality doesn't exist, so you can't be asexual!' remarks coming from people who have had asexuality explained to them - but again the context is important; sometimes the other person's just not quite grasped the 'asexuality is an orientation' thing and can be put right with a little effort. Other times, however... <_<

As for why we don't have any slurs - I think it's just because we're so unknown. There just aren't enough people using a particular word/phrase disparagingly for it to have any chance of spreading into the relative mainstream. This, naturally, could well change as we become a lot more visible, but I think that's really difficult to predict right now.

or dare i say it, virgin. or christian.

Just to push the point that others mentioned earlier that whether something's offensive depends on how it's interpreted-- I actually don't consider these to be offensive. Either you're a virgin or you're not. Either you're a Christian or you're not. I see these are rather objective terms.

Derogatory terms tend to be rather subjective-- like "slut," for instance... there's isn't some rule book that says that you're a slut once the number of people you've slept with is greater than or equal to X people or once you've slept with someone when the time you've known them is less than or equal to X amount of time.

As for why we don't have any slurs - I think it's just because we're so unknown.

Yeah, pretty much this.

weathered fair

I know a lot of times people will assume that asexuals are psychopaths, or that they don't have any emotions, that they must be repressed or closeted homosexuals or "straights" who just want snowflake points. Or perverts. Or Christians. Or that they're too undesirable to partner up with someone so they're pretending that the decision is voluntary.

I hope someone comes up with a slur like the n word or f word for us. It will suck for awhile, but then we'll get organized, emancipate ourselves, and eventually the word will become banished from polite society. Then once we get comfortable with our emancipation we'll start calling each other the word as a symbol of our power and liberation.

There aren't enough palms or faces.

Nameless Someone

What is this I can't even

Radioactive Goat

:l

I don't think there could be a particular derogatory word to describe an Asexual really. Though that may be because I can't think of anything in particular that could be considered offensive on the levels of other slurs.

Great Thief Yatagarasu

I'm sorry, bur "frigid" is a horrible insult to me. The word implies that you're cold somehow - basically, they're saying you're a cold-hearted bitch because you don't want to sleep with a person. I'm sorry, but how am I a cold or cruel person? I'm the least cold person ever - how am I stuffy and mean because I'm still a virgin? The hell? Sorry, I hate that word. That word's a slur to me.

I'm sorry, bur "frigid" is a horrible insult to me. The word implies that you're cold somehow - basically, they're saying you're a cold-hearted bitch because you don't want to sleep with a person. I'm sorry, but how am I a cold or cruel person? I'm the least cold person ever - how am I stuffy and mean because I'm still a virgin? The hell? Sorry, I hate that word. That word's a slur to me.

Have to say I'm somewhat leaning towards you here; I'm not saying it's the most horrible word out there, but I would be insulted were I called that. It seems to imply that unless you have sex, you are somehow lacking in human emotions. (Also, that having sex will somehow "melt" a person = personality depends on sexual activity.) It also seems to imply somehow that sex is "owed" to other people -- if you don't give it, you're cold. (Also note that men are rarely called frigid. It's just women who are expected to "give it up" or they're faulty.)

"Virgin" wouldn't bother me much since it's true, and as for "prude", well... I'm yet to find anyone who would call little dirty-minded me prudish. >_>