Asexuality and Alternate Language Wikipedia

More of a question/issue of appropriate visibility than anything else. I know that Wikipedia isn't always the most accurate of sources, as anyone can edit pages at their own discretion. The AVEN Wiki, however, does use Wikipedia for some terms and whatnot, and a lot of people use Wikipedia as a starting point to find information (I found AVEN through Wikipedia), so I feel like this is relevant. My issue comes from reading this entry from an asexuality group on deviantART. It's about an asexuality entry on the Spanish Wikipedia.

The Spanish Wikpedia article:

- Confuses asexual with aromantic ("it is unusual that they fall in love or form a couple").

- Subjective comments ("for them, the difference between love and friendship is ambiguous").

- Reinforces clichés such as sexual repression, childhood traumas, seeing sex as ‘wrong’ or disgusting’ because of a bad sexual education, etc. It also mixes up asexuality with voluntarily chosen chastity.

- Several of the examples of ‘asexual characters’ are described as ‘asexual because of a childhood trauma’.

- Confuses the biological asexuality with the sexual orientation.

- Confuses romantic orientation with sexual orientation, so heteromantic asexual are defined as ‘heterosexual asexuals’ and so on.

- Includes a paragraph about religions that see sexuality as sacred for no reason at all.

I know that we try to advance visibility of asexuality, but do we even bother keeping track of Wikipedia at all? Even if we do, do we keep track of any Wikipedia sites aside from the English Wikipedia? I, sadly, am not fluent enough in any other language to check for myself. If it isn't something that's "officially" checked by the PT, do we at least have members who are fluent in other languages who are willing to help with fact checking?

Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. This seemed like the most appropriate one to stick this in.

Guest member25959

It would be a nice idea to have someone to regulate or watch Wikipedia's content really. I am yet another member who found AVEN and Asexuality through Wikipedia.

As for the alternate language pages, thus far there is an Asexuality article on the Breton, Belorussian, Czech, Welsh, Danish, German, Estonian, Spanish (as mentioned here :P ), Persian, Faroese, French, Galician, Korean, Croatian, Italian, Hebrew, Georgian, Kurdish, Hungarian, Macedonian, Dutch, Japanese, Norwegian (bokmal), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, simple English, Slovakian, Serbian, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese and Chinese Wikipedias.

Regulating all of those could be a nighmare. I mean, I've never come across anyone on AVEN who can speak Breton, Belorussian, Faroese or Welsh.

And I do sometimes worry about the content of all of those articles. I can almost bet that a majority of them are giving out the wrong message

Edited by ArcanineHuggles
Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I'm an Spanish speaker. I'm reading the wiki and you are right, they say some confusing things :P :ph34r: I could help if it's asked to me to do so, telling my in a very specific way what I should do about it, I mean in a verrrrrrrrrrry specific way. Oh! another thing, I will be back to work soon so... if I could help would be now, don't think I could do much then.

Edited by Invisible Pumpkin
Måskemigselvetsted

The Danish is nearly a translation of the English one :)

Or, I haven't read the whole one, but it seems to be.

But the fact that it forgot the most important part :unsure:

Beginning:

Aseksualitet (også betegnet som nonseksualitet)/>[1] eller mangel på interessen i og lysten til sex.[2] Somme tider anses det for en mangel på seksuel orientering.[3] En ofte citeret studie antager, at 1% af befolkningen er aseksuel.[4]

Translation:

Asexuality (also called nonsexuality) or [that should have been an "is"] the lack of interest in or desire for sex. Sometimes it is seen as a lack of sexual orientation. An often quoted study presume that 1% of the population is asexual

In the English, it is added that it also means somebody who feel no sexual attraction. Whoever succeeded in translation it all (and cake for him og her!) forgot that part..

But beside that, it seems good :D

The Italian article is pretty good, although not as inclusive as the English one... but it does say enough about asexuality. I've checked the French one too and it seems rather good as well, it mentions a lot of studies I hadn't even heard of. :blink:

The other languages I know are English and Spanish, which have been provided for already... so I'm leaving it up to others for the rest!

[...] I mean, I've never come across anyone on AVEN who can speak Breton, Belorussian, Faroese or Welsh.

One of our Club-of-Aces members on deviantART apparently speaks Faroese. XD (They say the article is very short and needs improvement, in case you're wondering.)

Thanks for posting about this here, Water Lord Strivna! :)