Expressing Friendship

RosettaAce

I don't know what it is about my really embracing my place in the asexual triangle, but I'm starting to notice how I interact with everyone.

I was talking to my oldest friend this evening; I haven't seen her in over a month. She said that she really wanted to come and see me, and wouldn't it be great for me to see her?

I know she wanted me to say that I would love to see her and I can't wait for her to be able to come and see me; all of this is true, but I felt very uncomfortable, and unable to say what she wanted to hear. I temporized and made a joke saying that I would be less bored if she came to see me.

I realized after I got off the phone, that when in that type of conversation, I always react like I did tonight.

My question is: Do other Gray-A's have a problem expressing themselves, even in close friendships?

I don't know what it is about my really embracing my place in the asexual triangle, but I'm starting to notice how I interact with everyone.

I was talking to my oldest friend this evening; I haven't seen her in over a month. She said that she really wanted to come and see me, and wouldn't it be great for me to see her?

I know she wanted me to say that I would love to see her and I can't wait for her to be able to come and see me; all of this is true, but I felt very uncomfortable, and unable to say what she wanted to hear. I temporized and made a joke saying that I would be less bored if she came to see me.

I realized after I got off the phone, that when in that type of conversation, I always react like I did tonight.

My question is: Do other Gray-A's have a problem expressing themselves, even in close friendships?

I know this wasn't the question, exactly, but I'm sexual and I have the same problem. It's not limited to friends though... I actually really love my family, but I'm not particularly good at expressing it. Makes me really uncomfortable. My mom's the same way so I always assumed it was learned behavior.

I'm asexual, but I have a similar attitude towards people. The only exception so far was the one I've been in love with. Aside from him, I never really craved to see a person in particular. I'm happy to meet my friends but not overly excited by it. It's not that I don't love them, I'm just rather private and don't show much of my feelings. Same goes for relatives.

I don't think it's related to asexuality or graysexuality in any way. It's a behavioral trait.

Now that I think about it my mother is and my grandparents were the same way and I was raised by them. I never noticed before because we all acted the same, if that makes sense.

It was just something got my attention because all of my friends are very open with their feelings and are very sexual so it just made me wonder if there was a connection.

The thought I have when they seem to want me to confirm my feelings is that they already know me, and know how I feel. I mean I wouldn't hang out with them if I didn't like them. In the case of the friend I was talking to last night, she wouldn't still be in my life after twenty years if I didn't love her! So why do I have to say it? It seems unnecessary and makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks, SkulleryMaid, and Silver!

Archived