Grey symbols?

Nathan Blair

Before someone tells me s/he finds this unnecessary - I want to say I don't think it's necessary, but I love symbols - and I don't think I'm the only one - so why the heck not?

And, of course, many people would want to use asexual symbols only - me included, for now. But I don't think having some sub-symbols would really hurt. Like, for example, a unique way of wearing a black ring.

If I'm alone in this, and most of you think this would just divide us more - sorry. Just a random thought that passed through my head ^^

:cake:

One thing I've heard of some other grays doing (which I decided to do myself as well) is to wear a ring that is mostly black, but perhaps with some gray in it. The amount or where it is on the ring is up to you...

But then it was brought up "well, not many people recognize the asexual ring, so who would recognize an asexual ring with a but of gray and think 'oh, you're asexual, wait no, there's gray on it, so you're a gray!'"

But I think with these symbols, it's not about whether someone will recognize it and know what it means. It's sort of for the individual. If someone does happen to recognize it (like at a meetup or something, that's always cute), great.

I like the idea of symbols as well, but like you mentioned, some might feel like it divides us. *shrug*

I can barely find a black ring, where would I find one with grey in it? XD

But the idea is nice. At first, I thought of a grey ring - but now I think it would be better to use only black rings, but different kinds for each 'type' - or just a regualar black ring if someone doesn't like these categorising.

Unless, of course, someone doesn't want to identify as grey-asexual but grey-sexual, or something, and then a grey ring seems reasonable :lol:

I posted the picture of my black ring with silver in the middle somewhere...(I can't remember which thread for the life of me XD). But in my experience looking for rings like that or with silver lining aren't that hard.

And yes silver isn't grey but...close enough :P

I'm lucky in that (when I'm in Portland UGHHH) there's a GREAT store there that has all sorts of rings made out of all sorts of stones. And they're pretty cheap for how amazing they are!

I was able to find these there:

Dsc04865s.jpg

• Left: solid snowflake obsidian - $6
  • Middle: silver with tanzanite (dark purple, almost black) stones (not sure what gray-white one is) - I wear this one usually because I can adjust the size - $24. It isn't technically a very asexy ring but I wear it mainly because it reminds me of AVEN with the purple and white. :wub:
  • Right: Picasso jasper - $6

I think online is probably most peoples' best bet.

I've actually been thinking about this for a while, and I just recently ordered a silver band with a black stripe down the middle. It's a symbol to me anyway of my demisexuality, but it's not something I expect other people to see and know what it means. I mean, even the black ring as a symbol for asexuality isn't particularly well-known in the world at large. I guess if someone asked what it means, I'd tell them, but it's mostly just a personal symbol. C=

I'm lucky in that (when I'm in Portland UGHHH) there's a GREAT store there that has all sorts of rings made out of all sorts of stones. And they're pretty cheap for how amazing they are!

I was able to find these there:

Dsc04865s.jpg

Left: solid snowflake obsidian - $6

Middle: silver with tanzanite (dark purple, almost black) stones (not sure what gray-white one is) - I wear this one usually because I can adjust the size - $24

^ that one isn't technically a very asexy ring but I wear it mainly because it reminds me of AVEN with the purple and white lol :wub:

Right: Picasso jasper - $6

I think online is probably most peoples' best bet.

I'm in Portland, what store is this? I've been going nuts trying to find a black ring in my price range!

I hope you get to come back to Portland soon, Birdwing!

Archived