Entry to the UK

JJButterworth

JJButterworth

Today, I recalled a story my mother told me about her trouble with British customs back in the 70's and got me thinking about entry requirements for the United Kingdom. As it turns out, Canadians do not need a visa for a short stay in the UK. To see if you need a visa to enter the UK click the link here. All you have to do is enter the reason for your trip, in this case it will be a visit, the country that you are a citizen of and the country that you currently live in. Then it will tell you if you need a visa or not.

Here is the link again:http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/

Thanks for posting this. US, Canada, Australia and EU countries: no VISA required, unless I'm much mistaken.

Anyone from elsewhere feel like coming? :)

Last I heard (when the country was having an EU row) only EU ppl could wander randomly onto our green and pleasant lands. But I could be mistaken...I wasn't listening at the time.

JJButterworth

Last I heard (when the country was having an EU row) only EU ppl could wander randomly onto our green and pleasant lands. But I could be mistaken...I wasn't listening at the time.

That reminds me, you still need a passport, it needs to be valid for the length of your stay and, you need to clear customs when you arrive in the UK. When they say that you don't need a visa, it means that you don't have to apply to come to the UK you just show up and they process you at the airport.

each goverment has a list of "safe countries" example if you go tot he states for less than 3 months then a white card is still filled in but you don't have to go to the embassy

if however you want a 6 month or longer visa or need a long term work visa then you have to go to the relevant embassy

generally trips of 3 months or less you fill in a mini visa on the plane

most goverments have thier own websites to explain this

and as jj points out..your passport needs to be valid and preferably then some to cover your visit

That reminds me, you still need a passport and it needs to be valid for the length of your stay. Also, you need to clear customs when you arrive in the UK.

And thanks for pointing this out too. I'm always forgetting that not everyone has a passport and - if I remember correctly - a high proportion of USAians don't have one.

JJButterworth

I think you will need a reasonable sum (adequate for your stay) as you wont be able to work here. You are also restricted on items being brought into the UK

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/BringinggoodsorcashintotheUK/index.htm

Ah yes, not haveing cash that is what my mother's troubles stemed from.

As a cautionary tale, there is an incident with a guy called Michael Aranda of You Tube fame. He came to the UK to help produce and album for some of his friends, all British, told the customs officials he'd be here for a length, they wrote in how long he'd be able to stay and all was fine.

Until he went on a weekend trip with the friends to France, tried to return to Britain and they wouldn't let him. Because the customs guy had written the wrong time on his passport and Michael had gone by that (I'm guessing he though there were brackets and his stated time fell within that?). He only managed to get back in Britain, long enough to pick up his stuff and return to the US, because a ton of You Tube fans were petitioning the customs office to let him back in and telling the officials he wasn't a threat, honest, just a You Tube guy who makes music.

So when you fill out your visa, and when you go through customs, make sure you are accurate, that you double check what you write and you double check what officials write in your passport and so on.

explains it, in its own way.
  • 11 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator