Facebook should have more than two options when it comes to sexual orientation

briliantlyfreakish

I suppose as mentioned above, Facebook only caters to normality. To be honest they probably don't consider it important enough to implement.

It's not a big deal to me; my facebook profile is almost completely empty of identifying information. I have no problem with the idea of other people being able to put down what they want.

I like the idea of a 'Not Interested' option and then just let people make what they want of it. I also like the idea of a 'Dislike' button, but they don't have that either.

I agree.I DO wish they would put more on there, definatly a Not Interested, that would be great. Its just crybaby people who can't LIVE without Facebook, would bitch and complain. And they aren't taking any risks. I would LOVE a dislike button.

I just leave that bit blank.

I marked nothing in that box, too. I'm not sexually attracted to either, so why bother?

Facebook is a large business. They don't care about how their uses are feeling. All they care about is making money off of them in any possible way. It would be NICE if they'd allow more options like in your original post, but I don't think it's very realistic. Unless they profit somehow, it's just extra, unnecessary work for them.

This. Although, I am a little surprised bisexuality isn't covered. It seems to be as prevalent as homosexuality, these days.

In any case, I don't see why anyone needs to put their sexual orientation on Facebook.

Facebook is a large business. They don't care about how their uses are feeling. All they care about is making money off of them in any possible way. It would be NICE if they'd allow more options like in your original post, but I don't think it's very realistic. Unless they profit somehow, it's just extra, unnecessary work for them.

This. Although, I am a little surprised bisexuality isn't covered. It seems to be as prevalent as homosexuality, these days.

In any case, I don't see why anyone needs to put their sexual orientation on Facebook.

Oringinally, it was a dating site, I believe,so if you were gay, bi, or straight, people would know and either talk to you if interested or leave.

But I do agree with you.

I'm not sure why, maybe because, they believe that bi is the same thing to homosexual. Don't know why though...

Well they have a box for "men" and "women" as to who you're interested in, so surely if you're bi you can just tick both?

Well they have a box for "men" and "women" as to who you're interested in, so surely if you're bi you can just tick both?

Bah, I forgot about that, how?

herpaderderderderder

Whee, totally just noticed that I spelled "users" wrong. Oh well.

Facebook gives you the option to check off both Men and Women in your "Interested In" section. I guess that's close enough to bisexual for them.

Whee, totally just noticed that I spelled "users" wrong. Oh well.

Facebook gives you the option to check off both Men and Women in your "Interested In" section. I guess that's close enough to bisexual for them.

I suppose so.

It would feel kind of weird to put that on facebook since I'm so young and everyone expects me to be in demand of sex like nobodies business. I don't feel like it matters that much either, I mean why does anyone else need to know? it isn't like I'd date them anyway.

It would feel kind of weird to put that on facebook since I'm so young and everyone expects me to be in demand of sex like nobodies business. I don't feel like it matters that much either, I mean why does anyone else need to know? it isn't like I'd date them anyway.

It is kinda weird. But, the reason why its there is that Facebook was oringinally a dating site. Thus, if you were hetrosexual, you would look for people who are interested in the opposite gender of them. While homosexuals look for other homosexuals. And so forth. I guess its just easier than posting to that person "What's your sexuality?" Thus, if you don't wish to talk to that person because you are just looking for a relastionship, then you can find the people you want.

They don't have an opinion for "none" because asexuality is quite unknown and uncommon, like your neighborhood, if you think about it. There isn't enough visablity or notice for us Asexuals to gain much notification in the world, we are, slowly, but its not enough for Facebook to change it. Its just an easier process for the dating service, rather than having thousands of complaints about how homophobes have found their page, or someone won't stop talk to them, stuff like that. It gives them more time to install other features into the site, likes games and whatnot. I believe that the same method Facebook uses, other dating sites use. The concept of it is actually quite( to me) very clever, but I do think they should take some consideration for the REAL minority.

Personally, it doesn't bother me much. If I really wanted to post it on facebook, there are places like "About me" where I could put it. Although I suppose putting it there would be actively trying to make that known versus passively, or something like that. I dunno.

I don't know if facebook is ignoring asexuality either. The way the blocks are set up, you can say you are interested in one, both, or neither. They just don't distinguish between romantic and sexual interests, and for hetero, homo and bi sexuals, that (for the most part) doesn't matter. It probably isn't them ignoring asexuality, just misinformed or just didn't think about it a lot.

And they probably could easily make a section that seperates the two, but I think that would be kind of awkward first of, and secondly people of a variety of ages use the site. If suddenly facebook added sections for the gender a person is interested in sexually, there would be quite an uproar. Maybe a needed one, I dunno. But I guess its something worth thinking about though.

Facebook was never a dating site; it was a social networking site for colleges.

True, but a lot of people would use it to find local people and form relationships. Mainly for the social networking, but also dating, even at a minium.

I just leave it blank too. The first time I went on FB and I came across the "Interested in..." part in a friend's profile I seriously thought this was referring to interests, as in hobbies like reading or movies. For the first few seconds I actually remember thinking it was odd that my friend's profile read "Interested in Men". I was like, Really? That's all you are interested in? No other interests? :huh: THEN it hit me and I was like ohhhhhh, they mean "interested in" as in for relationships -_- . Ace moment. So for mine I was like, okey dokey, leaving that blank for sure XD And it works because people will just assume you are private about these things. If "asexual" were an option I'm pretty sure on FB there'd be a lot of asking what it is and/or jokes about budding. Which I would not want to have to deal with. Blegh.

Addicted2Oreos

in the big scheme of things..i never need facebook to legitimize me

---

This.

Why is sexuality such a big deal? Why does everyone have to hear about it for you to be happy with yourself? Why is it such a rack on people's self esteem if their politically correct group isn't included as an option on everything?

• 2 weeks later...

I created a profile for my schoolwork and listed myself as in a relationship with it.

The only problem is that all my friends think I'm just joking...

Archived