Welcome to Worldpride 2012

Greetings all and welcome to the Worldpride 2012 forum.

A few words about this forum. Worldpride 2012 is being held in London on 7 July 2012. We hope to get a large and international asexual contingent at this march - from AVEN and beyond. Here is the original thread on the topic.

It was soon realized that a single thread was not enough to organize a meetup and visibility drive of this scale. At some point I tentatively suggested the idea of requesting a subforum of Vis. This suggestion was very enthusiastically greeted by many of the participants on the original thread. After some cajoling on their parts, I discussed the matter with the PT and started the following thread in Site Comments to gauge the opinion of the AVEN userbase. Even though we absolutely needed a forum, none of us wanted to force this on AVEN if the membership was unhappy with it - especially those who don't like associating with LGBT.

As one can see from the Site Comments thread, the response from the membership was overwhelmingly positive - with no-one raising any objections to the idea. Further Sally and PiF raised the idea of requesting a standalone forum, instead of a subforum of Vis. This was eventually put to the vote; the former beat the latter by 8 votes to 4(*), so that's what I requested from the Admods and that's what we now have!

(*) At least, it was 8-4 when the voting deadline passed. It's now 9-6.

Another couple of points.

(1) Moderation

This forum is moderated by the Project Team. While I'm on the PT, I will be primarily responsible for keeping the forum in order, although anyone else on the PT will have full moderation rights. The only moderation I expect to do here is forum maintenance: pinning threads, moving or deleting off-topic posts, merging double posts. That sort of thing. In the unlikely event of there being serious ToS violations here, I shall bring it to the attention of an Admin, and the matter will be dealt with by the Admod team in the usual way.

If I lose my PT position in the coming elections, I will work closely with the new Project Team. I'm quite sure they will do a fine job of moderating this forum.

(2) The future of this forum

Part of the deal is that if other big events come along, needing their own entire forum, we should restructure this forum to accommodate them. What I have in mind is the following. We re-name the forum from "Worldpride 2012" to "Big events" (or something similar). We then make a subforum of this for Worldpride 2012 and move the WP posts there. And make another subforum for the other big event.

If you are organizing another event that you think needs an entire subforum to organize, please PM me and I'll help bring your suggestion to the Admod team.

After WP 2012 is over, we will think about what to do with the Big Events/Worldpride 2012 forum. One possibility would be to keep it open for Worldpride 2014, which is in Toronto, or any other big events that have come along in the meantime. If there are none, and none look like coming up in the near future, my suggestion is that we delete the forum but archive the WP threads somewhere - maybe in a new subforum of Meetup Mart.

As it's possible the threads on here will get moved between different fora, I'd like to request something. If you wish to refer to a thread within the Worldpride 2012 forum, please do so using the following format for the url:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=nnnnn

where nnnnn is the thread-id. The thread-id does not change when the thread is moved, so if you use this format the link will never be broken.

So welcome everyone to the Worldpride 2012 forum and let's get busy organizing!

This forum should now be visible to everyone. I'd really like to thank the AVEN userbase and the Admod team for being supportive of the idea of this forum, and especially to BB for setting the thing up.

:cake: to all!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

Right. So what individual threads did we decide to have?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

Right. So what individual threads did we decide to have?

I'm going to start by making threads out of various posts from the original thread, leaving only a skeleton of the original thread behind. Then we can go from there.

good to see this up and running michael

obviously you have succeeded by sheer tenacity and desire..well done..also thank you to bb for the fine tuning in making it possible :cake::cake:

OOOOO, I just came back on AVEN for the first time in a few days and saw this. Good to see, and I'm rather excited now! Once it gets going more, I'll start bugging people i know on Tumblr more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not into Pride events, but I'll be happy to assist with the non-march part of the events. I hope all goes well, and I'll monitor this forum and offer help closer to the time.

Good work by MichaelD on this so far.

• 4 months later...
robintamblyn

I just clicked the Worldpride link in the top post but it said "page not found" - I tried googling "World Pride" as well but all the sites that mentioned it (Visit London etc.) just say "Join the party as London hosts WorldPride 2012, a celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and culture." Nothing about asexuality that I can see...or have I misunderstood this?

I just clicked the Worldpride link in the top post but it said "page not found" - I tried googling "World Pride" as well but all the sites that mentioned it (Visit London etc.) just say "Join the party as London hosts WorldPride 2012, a celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and culture." Nothing about asexuality that I can see...or have I misunderstood this?

Thank you for pointing out the link is broken. It used to work. I will look into this.

Asexuals are one of the groups who will be in WorldPride. We are hoping to build a big walking group. More soon.

Oh wow, I really want to go to London now!! :) This sounds absolutely amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to join but cant as i our asexual community should not be confused with Lgbt. And if our community will be there then people wont understand our separate identity. We should set a different day for us.

I want to join but cant as i our asexual community should not be confused with Lgbt. And if our community will be there then people wont understand our separate identity. We should set a different day for us.

I have a confession to make...

I'm not going to London because I want to join any contingent; I'm going because I just want to meet all the people who will be gathered there. XD

• 2 weeks later...

It really needs to be mentioned that people need to consider the time of arrival and booking of flights and hotels. Both of these are going to be a nightmare because the London 2012 Olympics are being held around the same time.

It really needs to be mentioned that people need to consider the time of arrival and booking of flights and hotels. Both of these are going to be a nightmare because the London 2012 Olympics are being held around the same time.

Luckily it's several weeks before the Olympics start. But yes, it is definitely a factor.

• 5 weeks later...

Can I just ask, cause I've been off of AVEN for a good while, how is it going on the t-shirts/banners/leaflets/ballons/buying of condoms and dental dams/etc? Cause we ran out of condoms really easily last year so I'm thinking we should get a ton ton more this time around.

Also, are there plans for where to meet up yet? We were crowding that coffee shop last year and there weren't nearly as many as there will be this year if only a third turn up.

Can I just ask, cause I've been off of AVEN for a good while, how is it going on the t-shirts/banners/leaflets/ballons/buying of condoms and dental dams/etc? Cause we ran out of condoms really easily last year so I'm thinking we should get a ton ton more this time around.

Also, are there plans for where to meet up yet? We were crowding that coffee shop last year and there weren't nearly as many as there will be this year if only a third turn up.

Keep watching your inbox. PM coming tomorrow. :) I hope to put together a committee to meet next weekend or the weekend after.

Good to know! I'm going to have to book train tickets soon so it'd be nice to know when I have to get there for, and about any t-shirts I may have to buy etc, and any part in mass condom buying I may have to take part in.

Kinda amazed that there don't seem to be easy ways to buy dental damns in cheap bulk like there are for condoms, may have to give up on that.

ETA: Okay, train sites don't seem to be selling tickets for July yet. huh.

Kinda amazed that there don't seem to be easy ways to buy dental damns in cheap bulk like there are for condoms, may have to give up on that.

we should look into like, dental supply companies or something.

Also, I can ask around at my uni to find out where they get all their dental dams for the queer resource center...

• 4 weeks later...
robintamblyn

Condoms and dental dams? How many of us would need a supply of these? Do they get handed out at Pride events or something? (sorry genuine question as I have never been to a Pride event, and speaking as someone who is never likely to require either...)

borrowedTime

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering that, robintamblyn.

Seems a bit of a strange thing for an asexuality-focused organisation to give out at a Pride event, although I see why other groups would.

Might be better to give out free cake... :cake:

• 3 months later...

Sadly stranded in Australia. But I will be partying my own Asexual pride party. I will buy a cheesecake and sit on these forums with you all who couldn't make it.

carried in bags

sorry to post this so late. But I won't be joining you. There are lots of reasons why...one being I can't afford it, the other being as time has gone on I feel less drawn and apart of the asexual world. not that I am a lesser ace, I just don't feel the need or have the interest to be apart of it like I used to. AVEN will live on to be a major turning point in my life and my previous Pride experiences will always be a huge highlight in my life. I have met the most awesome people in and around it. like I say, there are many more Prides yet to come, I'm sure I'll be attending. Being aparrt of World Pride will be brilliant, it's just this time i have more expensies coming up.

I hope you all have an ace time, I will call in to have a look at the photos x

It was nice seeing so many new faces yesterday (new to me, anyway). :) The pub meetup afterwards was great, I wish I could have stayed longer. I hope you all have fun at the conference today.

TheLinguist

Didn't get to go (wish I did but still)but I was there in spirit and I did a tweet about it.

Also, from what I understood, there was also a LGBT pride thing going on at the same time. Did the two events conflict or were they in different parts of London?

Didn't get to go (wish I did but still)but I was there in spirit and I did a tweet about it.

Also, from what I understood, there was also a LGBT pride thing going on at the same time. Did the two events conflict or were they in different parts of London?

No, we were actually part of that... I think?

They were the same event. World Pride is just making the whole thing International this year. World Pride will be in Toronto in 2014. We had about 35 people attend this parade.

A name is required

Toronto in 2014, eh? Will have to start saving. :P

TEL-AVIV 2013!