Anallophilic

Guest member25959

Guest member25959

So this topic turned up recently in the Gender Forums. (Basically a topic discussing Gender and the SAGE test) .

Well in this test, a new word was thrown up, which I can't seem to find any information about online. But according to this,

That is why one can say that some

transsexuals are autogynephilic, and simultaneously categorize them as

heterosexual, bisexual, or anallophilic [not attracted to other people]. (If autogynephilia

completely precluded attraction to other people, all autogynephilic

persons would be anallophilic.)

Well, I'm not sure if they are using this as a way of saying 'Asexuality', as they use it to describe 'not attracted to other people', which could mean a number of things.

So, what is everyone else's thoughts on this word? :blink:

Edit:

The other group of gender dysphoric males was more diverse, and included: those attracted primarily to women (heterosexual or gynephilic ); those attracted to both women and men (bisexual); and those with very little attraction to other persons of either sex (anallophilic, "not attracted to other people").

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-13968/autogynephilia.html

From the first four letters, it sounds icky.

If it means "not attracted to other people" that's not the same as Asexual. Asexual just means no sexual attraction, but many asexuals experience other forms of attraction.

I'm not sure where this word comes from. Is it a recent coinage, for some specific purpose? What are the roots/etymology? The "phillic" part I assume is from the same root as "phile/philia". So that just means love. "An" I take it as meaning "without" or "against", like anaerobic. So that leaves the "allo" part - my dictionary says that means "other, different, alternate". So, unless the roots are something different (which is not unlikely), this word would mean something along the lines of "without love for other" or "without different love"? So, possibly someone who doesn't love other people? Again, that's not the same as asexual at all.

mylittlehazmat

Anallophilic is a failed word for asexuality, yes. Why is it failed? Because it doesn't conform to the other sexual orientations. If we made everything "philic" then fine, but as it stands. Nope. Also, the word has unfortunate linguistic similarities I'm sure everyone has noticed ...

It also fails because sex =/= love or vice versa. :P

And along with it being imprecise and icky, it's also difficult to pronounce.

mylittlehazmat

It also fails because sex =/= love or vice versa. :P

I'm quite sure most people don't take "paedophile" to be understood as meaning romantic attraction to children. "Philic" can have many connotations. Which is actually the true failure you might want to point out, because it isn't specific enough for my tastes.

I wish I could find the exact origins of this word. I can't seem to pinpoint it. :huh:

Seems to me everything points back to that SAGE test. I can't find the word in any dictionary.

That suffix makes it sound like a fetish term. Not exactly the best thing for an orientation name.

TheAceOfHearts

Soo... Is this calling asexuals anal? Haha ironic...

I've heard of this term before. It makes me pull a face like this :blink:

Captain Paige

well given some of the other things on that sage test, I wouldn't be surprised if they HAD made the word up xD as accurate as it seems to be, it was terrible xD I know this has been sort of mentioned but maybe it's like more of a term meaning not being attracted to anyone at all? I mean asexual is just no sexual attraction, what if it actually means zero attraction to anyone at all? I wonder if there are many people (if any) that are like that?

I know this has been sort of mentioned but maybe it's like more of a term meaning not being attracted to anyone at all? I mean asexual is just no sexual attraction, what if it actually means zero attraction to anyone at all? I wonder if there are many people (if any) that are like that?

What's the difference? :blink:

I know this has been sort of mentioned but maybe it's like more of a term meaning not being attracted to anyone at all? I mean asexual is just no sexual attraction, what if it actually means zero attraction to anyone at all? I wonder if there are many people (if any) that are like that?

What's the difference? :blink:

The difference is there are many more kinds of attraction than just sexual.

Also 'anallophilic' leaves the option to be attracted to something that is not 'other', i.e. yourself. So if you are autosexual, you would be covered by this term, but not by the term 'asexual'.

Archived