-insert Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme-

River Song

First and foremost, hello, everyone. I'm a little hesitant about posting here, mainly because I'm still weighing things/trying to figure everything out about me sexually, but I figured if I wanted answers, this was the place to go. The lot of you can call me River, if you'd like. I'm nineteen in Washington state, currently going to a community college. I'm single and extremely thankful for it. (Long story short, my first/last boyfriend dropped the love-bomb after one month and scared me off, haha.) There isn't much to say about me, really. I have two cats and live with my mom and stepdad. I have two older siblings and two best friends. (I must like the number two a lot.) I'm a bit of an introvert and a little awkward and socially inept, but I hope that hasn't shown too much already.

Well, I have to say, I'm a little relieved there's a "community" for asexuals. I mean, I'm not even certain if I AM one, but I'm... pretty sure, I guess. Granted, I'm only nineteen and have only been in one relationship that didn't go beyond kissing (which was barely tolerable itself), so maybe I just need to find "the one" or feel "that" connection. But, I began to think that something was seriously broken, since everyone around me seemed so sexually aware of themselves or had lost their virginity or whatever, and I was the awkward one who didn't like the idea of a guy even touching me. I'm fine with hugging friends and family and whatnot, but really, the idea of any kind of physical affection in a relationship is a bit of a turn-off. I enjoyed holding hands and tolerated cuddling and kissing in my last relationship, but that was about it. And as for sex? I've never felt sexually attracted to anyone, and the idea of it just makes me squirm. I've told myself, if I could find a relationship where physical intimacy wasn't "required," I would be so happy. Of course, I was fairly convinced that all relationships "required" sex, so I figured I would be alone forever.

I started reading up on asexuality a few years ago, but sort of skimmed through and brushed it off. I'm reading about it more seriously now, but I don't want to come off as trying to be special or something. I've been Plain Jane for a while; searching for my individual sexuality feels weird. But, I've become a little more comfortable with the idea; especially knowing that there's nothing wrong with me because I don't want to have sex. So, I guess knowing that there are others out there who don't want to have sex either makes me a lot more comfortable. I hope that on this forum, I'll learn a little more and be able to find out whether or not I truly am, or if I'm just sexual for the time being, or however this works.

Looking forward to this!

Yet another Whovian, huh? :P I swear it is like an invasion. You'll fit right in, lol.

Welcome to AVEN :D

First let me say you sound quite mature for 19 years old. Of course no one but yourself can decide if you're asexual or not, but the things you describe are very common themes among members here. Welcome to Aven, I hope you fine what you're looking for! :cake: :cake:

JJButterworth

Fresh Prince, eh! Good choice and welcome to AVEN. :cake:

Yet another Whovian, huh? :P I swear it is like an invasion. You'll fit right in, lol.

Welcome to AVEN :D

Awesome! Good to know I have fellows in the Whovian department. And thank you for the welcome!

First let me say you sound quite mature for 19 years old. Of course no one but yourself can decide if you're asexual or not, but the things you describe are very common themes among members here. Welcome to Aven, I hope you fine what you're looking for! :cake: :cake:

Thank you; I take a little pride in it. I'm certainly glad to hear that it's common, though. It gives me a heads for where to go. And, I hope I will as well!

Fresh Prince, eh! Good choice and welcome to AVEN. :cake:

Great show. I try to catch it when I can. Thank you!

LostPenguin

Great! Now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all night!

:P Welcome. No harm in coming here if you're unsure, plenty of similar folk around and we won't bite. To tell the truth, your feelings:

I've never felt sexually attracted to anyone, and the idea of it just makes me squirm. I've told myself, if I could find a relationship where physical intimacy wasn't "required," I would be so happy. Of course, I was fairly convinced that all relationships "required" sex, so I figured I would be alone forever.

sound all too familiar to me. Rather echoes how I used to feel. I'm happy to say that finding this site has helped that worry quite a bit.

Archived