AVEN Chat Room (Link to Chat Room Inside)

Nugan

Anyone know if the AVEN chat can be reached using a vanilla IRC client, like xchat, mIRC or chatzilla?

I don't think so, but I really don't know for sure. My knowledge of IRC is next to zip.

• 1 month later...
The Evil Cashew

It was my first offical act as Mod! LOL. Besides. i think havingi t ehre woudl be helpful...

~Cashew

Thanks Cashew,

I thought about asking if it could be stickied earlier, but I was interupted.

Thanks Cashew!

And you reminded me to make a sticky about AVEN titles in site comments!

I tried! Was in the middle of a convo with Cashew and Nugan and BOOM! it just booted me right out of java and mozilla - I tried to get back in and immediately after the 'hello' it all blew up again.

:(

hawke aka ladyhawke in chat because I either screwed something up or someone else took my name.

Hmm, I don't use Mozilla myself, but I think other users have without experiencing bugs.

Have you tried using another browser just in case?

Cate Perfect

Huh. I have firefox and I've never had a problem getting into the chatroom...

Cate

Are you folks using the latest build of firefox? Go to Help > About

At the bottom it should say Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

If it doesn't, your browser is out of date. Also, there may have been a couple builds after that, I haven't checked in a little while.

it works okay in safari (the mac default browser) but it's a bit slow sometimes

yeah, same with mine. usually good though

it works okay in safari (the mac default browser) but it's a bit slow sometimes

yeah, same with mine. usually good though

ooh is that a fellow apple user there?

SpockJr, my Firefox is actually a little newer than that but I haven't ever been able to do the chatroom on Firefox even when I was using an older version. I am, however, using Windows ME rather than XP.

SpockJr, my Firefox is actually a little newer than that but I haven't ever been able to do the chatroom on Firefox even when I was using an older version. I am, however, using Windows ME rather than XP.

You need to download the java plugin. I do not believe it comes with the build, you have to download it seperately.

Thanks for the encouragement - I have to use Explorer for the Yahoo games, so I suppose I can use it for chat too. I just LOATH it because it screwed up my other computer with all the security holes and I got so much adwear I have to clear out the entire thing and start over from scratch. :evil:

But - If I only use it for the chat instead of surfing, maybe I won't have trouble.

hawke

The Evil Cashew

There is a program called AD-aware by lavasoft. its free. it removes adware from your comptuer

~Cashew

I downloaded a few ad zappers and blockers and Norton - and there were always a few that would come up as 'undeletable'. Norton would send me to a website that told me how to edit the registry to get rid of them, and at the same time tell me if I screwed it up I would hose my entire computer. (I paraphrase)

So, knowing my attention to detail is not a strong point, I did not take on that extra detoxing of my computer. I'm just trying to save what I want to this one so I can start over.

And I must do it soon, because my kids can't even play games on it without it freaking out. And I can't even run defrag on that computer because there's always some sort of mysterious something or other running in the background.

Most experts I've asked (we have a few RL friends who are into this sort of thing) have suggested we just wipe it.... it's just figuring out what I want to keep... part of my hoarding problem extends to my computer. :P

hawke

There is a program called AD-aware by lavasoft. its free. it removes adware from your comptuer

~Cashew

Use Spybot S&D as well, it will detect some things AD-aware does not, of course AD-aware detects things Spybot does not also.

Hawke,

Computers - can't live with them, can't live without them.

Sorry to hear about your computer troubles.

I'll try getting a chat client back on the AVEN site, do people actually use it?

Oh dear, a third chatroom (-:รพ (We've got dykal and now an IRC channel too)

Usage is fairly limited, but people drop in from time to time....

Yeah I agree with Hawke.

I'd probably find a forum one easier to use anyway.....

Archived