Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

@only68. Welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Waves enthusiastically and wonders why he did not see this thread a few days ago when posting in an over 50's thread.

I think we should clarify that we are talking physical age here. I am 63 but still feel 30 in my head, and often act as stupid as a 10 year old. Nice to find you all.

• Like 6
BobRossRules
On 5/23/2017 at 4:26 PM, Jokerman said:

Waves enthusiastically and wonders why he did not see this thread a few days ago when posting in an over 50's thread.

I think we should clarify that we are talking physical age here. I am 63 but still feel 30 in my head, and often act as stupid as a 10 year old. Nice to find you all.

I act like a 10 year-old too!!:lol:

• Like 2

If I merged some of the threads then it wouldn't be long till someone recreated them :) But if it's what the majority wanted then I wouldn't say 'No' - up to you :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tanwen said:

If I merged some of the threads then it wouldn't be long till someone recreated them :) But if it's what the majority wanted then I wouldn't say 'No' - up to you :)

My vote is no, don't merge. Doesn't seem to be needed, in my opinion. :)

• Like 2

I must say.   So many youngsters claiming to be old,

as though, it`s some sort of thing, to appreciate.

I`m old enough to be your parent...

and believe me,

there isn`t anything good,

about seeing the finish line, in sight.

If there is any value to my post,

it`s to give you all, hope....

that there is a few years left. 

No question about it.

There is way more to living, than sex.

But there is a time and place for it as well.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Green Mandala

Newbie over 60 here and still exploring the site. It sure is nice to find a community of folks with whom I can resonate. I am enjoying just perusing the forums and checking out "this 'n' that."

• Like 6

Green Mandala welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

• Like 3
Green Mandala

So here's a thing. About a year maybe a bit more, I discovered the "somewhat" meaning of asexuality and had the proverbial "lightbulb" experience of "Oh, I get it now. That's why or should I say this is why I think the way I do, or feel or don't feel the way I do. Wow. It has a name. I came out to my daughter and wouldn't you know it, she totally got it. Not because she is asexual but because suddenly my "mothering style" made sense to her. And I am still learning about the asexual thing and how I experience it.

So here's a story that goes with the thing. My daughter and I were hangin' out in downtown Portland and we passed a storefront with a headless, armless, and partially legless mannequin which was sporting a shiny metallic bodysuit-like garment and bright pink fishnet stockings. We both saw it as we passed the window and the first thing I say is "What's the point of that? It's not covering anything. I mean jeez who's going to wear that thing?" And suddenly, I had an epiphany. And a thought came into my head which went something like this: "You are saying this because you are asexual and you just don't register the whole "let-me-get-sexy" thing. I laughed out loud and said to my daughter, "Oh, it's for enticement, isn't it?"

Her reply, "Yes, Mom, no one is going to wear that out." And then I told her my immediate thought once I had realized what I was saying. And after that we had another good conversation about asexuality, my asexuality, and what all of this means with regard to our lovely relationship as mother and daughter.

• Like 8
TheLastOfSheila
On 6/16/2017 at 11:29 PM, Green Mandala said:

So here's a thing. About a year maybe a bit more, I discovered the "somewhat" meaning of asexuality and had the proverbial "lightbulb" experience of "Oh, I get it now. That's why or should I say this is why I think the way I do, or feel or don't feel the way I do. Wow. It has a name. I came out to my daughter and wouldn't you know it, she totally got it. Not because she is asexual but because suddenly my "mothering style" made sense to her. And I am still learning about the asexual thing and how I experience it.

So here's a story that goes with the thing. My daughter and I were hangin' out in downtown Portland and we passed a storefront with a headless, armless, and partially legless mannequin which was sporting a shiny metallic bodysuit-like garment and bright pink fishnet stockings. We both saw it as we passed the window and the first thing I say is "What's the point of that? It's not covering anything. I mean jeez who's going to wear that thing?" And suddenly, I had an epiphany. And a thought came into my head which went something like this: "You are saying this because you are asexual and you just don't register the whole "let-me-get-sexy" thing. I laughed out loud and said to my daughter, "Oh, it's for enticement, isn't it?"

Her reply, "Yes, Mom, no one is going to wear that out." And then I told her my immediate thought once I had realized what I was saying. And after that we had another good conversation about asexuality, my asexuality, and what all of this means with regard to our lovely relationship as mother and daughter.

What a great story about you and your daughter.  She sounds like a lovely person.  Welcome to AVEN. :cake:

• Like 4
jay williams
On 6/21/2017 at 9:09 AM, TheLastOfSheila said:

What a great story about you and your daughter.  She sounds like a lovely person.  Welcome to AVEN. :cake:

I agree that it is a great story. So cool that it took Green Mandala a while to register that the garment with bright fishnet stockings is for the express purpose of enticing a sexual! It is weird what some people wear isn't it? LOL

• Like 4
jay williams
On 6/27/2017 at 7:17 AM, BJ&Billie said:

I guess you could call us "The Odd Couple" since we have been together in a sexless marriage since 1976. We are Best Friends and that's all that matters to us. Thanks for allowing us into your group.

You have the kind of relationship I always dreamed of having. Good for you! Hope you can tell us more on how you have made it work.

• Like 4
cavalier080854

A colleague collapsed at work today. As a First-Aider, I had to do CPR, whilst some one got the defibrillator and I applied the pads and zapped him. Luckily He recovered and the wait for the ambulance was interminable. It shook me up, I hope I never have to do that again.

• Like 4

^^Is he okay? I am trained in CPR but have never had to do it--I can only imagine how stressful it is for the rescuer. Good job!

• Like 2
Autumn Sunrise
7 hours ago, cavalier080854 said:

A colleague collapsed at work today. As a First-Aider, I had to do CPR, whilst some one got the defibrillator and I applied the pads and zapped him. Luckily He recovered and the wait for the ambulance was interminable. It shook me up, I hope I never have to do that again.

That's awesome, @cavalier080854

woodswalker

I'm 66 years old! I grew up during "the summer of love" in a Frat boy Town. My life was about avoiding sex while trying to find a "significant other". Long story short, I just never quite caught that 'Train'. I even wrote a song called "I never caught the train". I can post the lyrics if U like.
Nowadays they have a Pride Flag for Everything!! Except me. I mean what do you call it when you could not orgasm or enjoy sex with a man, had never been with a woman, and could only "please yourself"?  Would that be "Auto-sexual"??
But whatever it was, I was too embarassed to even talk about it. The guiltiest secret of all: I was bored by sex. Or at least frustrated, by something I could never quite achieve. I simply became a Spockian intellectual. In love with my hobbies, my synths, my books & cats.
I'm embarassed to even be in this group because it reminds me of my Lack and makes me feel sorry for myself.

• Like 8
BobRossRules

Welcome @woodswalker!!  Have some cake! 🍰  AVEN is a great place to hang out.  I didn't discover it until later myself and I'm still learning.  Anyway, AVEN has a great group of folks. 

• Like 4

Woods walker, I had similar embarrassment, but being here has really helped me better accept who I am.  Hope you stay and that it helps you too.🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰

• Like 4
2 hours ago, woodswalker said:

Nowadays they have a Pride Flag for Everything!! Except me.

There is a flag for asexuality. :)

Welcome and :cake: ! There's no need to feel embarrassed for being who you are. Self-acceptance is better, and hopefully it will come.

• Like 3

Personally, I love being part of this group, knowing that there ARE others like me. Even though I've met only two (so far!) AVENites, it's comforting knowing so many exist....

• Like 5
Green Mandala
On 6/22/2017 at 7:20 AM, jay williams said:

It is weird what some people wear isn't it? LOL

It is weird. I've seen some things and I often wonder to myself if that isn't just the MOST uncomfortable thing a person would even want to wear.

And by the way, I have been away and thus, neglecting this site. Boo to me!

• Like 2
Green Mandala
On 6/27/2017 at 5:17 AM, BJ&Billie said:

I guess you could call us "The Odd Couple" since we have been together in a sexless marriage since 1976. We are Best Friends and that's all that matters to us. Thanks for allowing us into your group.

Nice. Long-lived marriage. Good for you. And welcome to the group.

• Like 1
Green Mandala
5 hours ago, woodswalker said:

I'm embarassed to even be in this group because it reminds me of my Lack and makes me feel sorry for myself.

I came to the asexual community late in life and I'm glad I did. I totally . . .  (well maybe not totally) . . . but I hear what you are saying about the embarrassment. I hesitated and hesitated and then finally joined. And I felt a wee bit embarrassed when I told my daughter. The more I hang out here, the better I feel. So welcome to the AVEN community and this particular hang-out.

• Like 3