Anybody else here like history or antiques/old stuff?

AdmiralAddax

AdmiralAddax

Besides meeting up with other aces, another one of my goals in life is to find more people that like history, antiques, old-timey stuff. With me, I love the 1920s and old cars. (And by old, I mean older than 1960.) I also like old slang ("This is the bee's knees!") and I'd love to deck out my future house in neat antique furniture and appliances. xD Oh, and old music! I much prefer oldies and crooners to today's stuff. (Not that all modern music is terrible, I just have my preferences.)

And why am I talking about it? Well, because the 1970s is ancient in my friends' points of view. Since it's not often I get to meet another person who is a fan of all things old (an antiquarian I think is what they're called?), I just thought I'd post this and see if there's anyone else like that. :)

Asexy Existentialist

Yes. <3 All of it.

Narrow Mullen

I love collecting antiques! I don't really have a category of objects I like, it's generally just what I think looks cool. I have a carved bone snuff bottle, a jade rhino, a Nazi reichsmark coin from 1943, a handmade wooden chest that's about 110 years old, and an assortment of other little things.

AdmiralAddax

I love collecting antiques! I don't really have a category of objects I like, it's generally just what I think looks cool. I have a carved bone snuff bottle, a jade rhino, a Nazi reichsmark coin from 1943, a handmade wooden chest that's about 110 years old, and an assortment of other little things.

Haha, my brother loves that old Nazi stuff! (just because it isn't made anymore, not because he's into the Nazi ideals lol) Since I'm a student I don't really have much of a budget (or room) for antique collecting at this time of my life, so the most I have are the coins and bills I've collected from the different countries I've been to. I once saw a 1920s record player for sale at an estate sale. It was for sale for 100 dollars, and about the size of a chest of drawers. I don't even know if it worked! And you know those little 'piano rolls' or what have you that they had before record players? They had those too! I would have bought one, but I'd have nothing to play it on.

There was also a bunch of mink furs at the estate sale. They were selling them for $3.75. So now there's a mink just sitting on the couch at home. XD

My grandfather had a 1929 Oldsmobile that I love so much!..I want to fix it up one day and drive it around town. :D

I like that stuff also but I really like clockwork things. Im talking clocks, watches, toys. If you like old antique things you might love the event that is coming close to were I live at. Its called the Highway 127 yard sale and what it is is all along highway 127 is pretty much nothing but yard sales. They sometimes have some cool things. :)

Im from australia and love the old way of bush life. What built australia today. Mining towns gold rush etc. Culture is dieing out fast. Also aboriginal culture is facinating. The real culture not tv culture.. We white folk did a great job of stepping on it out of existance... Its almost magic like.... Old book. or manusrcipts etc link you to a time long ago...

HavenHamilton

<----History MAJOR!!!!!

Yes, I love it! Mainly more contemporary history though. I was never interested in the really old stuff. I'll say world history from the late 1700's on. Napoleon on.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I like old coins.

(and foreign coins.)

(Truth be told I'd collect anything, I'm a hoarder and kinda show an interest in loads of things. So I could see my house full of random collections. >.>)

SorryNotSorry

Old cars... especially old European cars built between the Depression and 1970. What kind of human being can see a pic of a 1957-73 Fiat 500 and not think it's a cute car?

I also like old tools, because there are still plenty of them around, and many are still usable. When my granny's uncle died in 1977 at the age of 81, I was allowed to take a small old Crescent wrench home from his apartment when my family went to look through his things and brought me along (my mother retrieved a big old wooden armoire and an antique brace-and-bit drill). I have a friend who's a retired carpenter, and he collects those big old wooden-block door planers... personally I never could get those damn things to work right when I tried them.

A few years ago, the guy across the street from me (also a retired carpenter) threw away a crate of rusty old tools he cleaned out from a shed on his property. Most were just junk, but one piece in particular I saved was a tiny old funny-looking adjustable wrench which I identified as a King Dick spanner (don't laugh). I de-rusted it with a phosphoric preparation and now it looks and works great. Jasco's Phosphoric Prep & Etch is worth its weight in gold for de-rusting ironwork.

Blunderbuss

My biggest love: victorian houses! Oh, and old houses in general. I want to live on of those ♥

tumblr_lii1716WEv1qbaw87o1_400.jpgold+house,+1918.jpg

And old music! Of course. I mean, Glenn Miller is awesomeness!

Or Jeepers Creepers by Paul Whiteman ;D

I like collecting older things that catch my eye, I would say there's really any method to my collection.

Some of my stuff is on the newer side of old because of how much stuff my dad has given me from his childhood. He used to collect Corgi Toys cars until his mom chucked most of them in the '70s, but we still have a few die-cast models from the early-mid 60s.

I've always been a fan of older coins too (and foreign when I can get them), which is why it's great that my mom works in retail-- she swaps out the older coins for newer coins and brings me home the ones I'd want from the cash register :D.

The big kick I'm on now though is anything militaria or anything related to movies/film. I have a few Army uniform pieces circa WWII, and I'm looking to expand it now that I'm out of school and have the space for it. I also have a Bell and Howell electric eye camera that sits on my bureau from the late 1950s (research tells me it was likely from 1958). I'm hoping that I can restore the camera, but otherwise it makes for a good discussion piece ^_^.

AdmiralAddax

I like collecting older things that catch my eye, I would say there's really any method to my collection.

Some of my stuff is on the newer side of old because of how much stuff my dad has given me from his childhood. He used to collect Corgi Toys cars until his mom chucked most of them in the '70s, but we still have a few die-cast models from the early-mid 60s.

I've always been a fan of older coins too (and foreign when I can get them), which is why it's great that my mom works in retail-- she swaps out the older coins for newer coins and brings me home the ones I'd want from the cash register :D.

The big kick I'm on now though is anything militaria or anything related to movies/film. I have a few Army uniform pieces circa WWII, and I'm looking to expand it now that I'm out of school and have the space for it. I also have a Bell and Howell electric eye camera that sits on my bureau from the late 1950s (research tells me it was likely from 1958). I'm hoping that I can restore the camera, but otherwise it makes for a good discussion piece ^_^.

Dude, when I was a cashier, I did that ALL THE TIME! XD I even swapped out a few bills! Sometimes customers would just give me strange coins because they didn't want them. The oldest coin I have ever swapped out is a 1901 American penny that's in great condition :)

AUGH, I HATE it when people throw away stuff like that! Annoys me to no end. My dad had some old water pistols that were replicas of real pistols (one of them was a German Luger) that my brother played with in the summertime. Then my mom cleaned out the drawer we kept the water pistols in, and that was the last we saw of them! :(

Where did you get a camera like that?

AdmiralAddax

My biggest love: victorian houses! Oh, and old houses in general. I want to live on of those ♥

tumblr_lii1716WEv1qbaw87o1_400.jpgold+house,+1918.jpg

And old music! Of course. I mean, Glenn Miller is awesomeness!

Or Jeepers Creepers by Paul Whiteman ;D

:'D Yes, yes! I love the old architecture! When I visited San Francisco, I was snapping pictures left and right because of all the old Victorian-era structures there. I also have that second picture you posted saved on my computer. XD

Hahaha, I've heard the Frank Sinatra version of Jeeper's Creepers.

My brother loves Glen Miller too! :D

Some of my favorite songs are The Charleston and Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin. :B

AdmiralAddax

<----History MAJOR!!!!!

Yes, I love it! Mainly more contemporary history though. I was never interested in the really old stuff. I'll say world history from the late 1700's on. Napoleon on.

Heh, yeah I agree with you there. Anything before the 1700s is just doesn't hold the same interest. :P

AdmiralAddax

I like that stuff also but I really like clockwork things. Im talking clocks, watches, toys. If you like old antique things you might love the event that is coming close to were I live at. Its called the Highway 127 yard sale and what it is is all along highway 127 is pretty much nothing but yard sales. They sometimes have some cool things. :)

Just where is Highway 127? I've never heard of it! :o

AdmiralAddax

Old cars... especially old European cars built between the Depression and 1970. What kind of human being can see a pic of a 1957-73 Fiat 500 and not think it's a cute car?

Fiats! Sooo cute! My dad used to own one, actually. But my friends wouldn't even give cars like that a second glance. They really don't care about such things. ):

I haven't been to any in a while, but I love flea markets, garage sales and anywhere where a treasure may be found. I don't necessarily need to buy anything, but it's sort of the history and re-use involved in an item.

Old, interesting, odd and eco architecture all interest me quite a bit.

Guest member25959

I love anything from the 20th century, or the late 19th century! There's something about nostalgia that I just adore. Like, my Grandpa house is full of 70's decor and furniture, its like walking into a museum (literally the only modern appliance there is the flat screen TV that sticks out amongst the woodchip wallpaper and wall-mounted plywood furniture :P , He also got the boiler system replaced last year so the 70's gas fireplace has gone now ) The next nearest things to modern appliances is the betamax and early 90's desktop.

And he has a working retro record table, looks a little like:

04mar08.jpg

I always wanted to inherit the house and keep it the way it was.

I always find it funny when I watch home renovation programs and they are like 'We need to get rid of that tacky 60's/70's decor, ew' and I just sit there thinking 'Yea, destroy a piece of history'.

Also while on the topic, does anyone else enjoy that old, murky smell you get in old buildings and houses?

Heh, I graduated high school in the 70's so I guess I'm "ancient"!

I love history, but mostly stuff before the Napoleon. :P (mostly kidding. I love British history from the Victorian era back to earliest times, as well as prehistory.)

Old books and maps are cool. Also, old tools, furniture and stuff like that, especially if it can be restored to its fromer glory and made use of. Old architecture, like Victorian homes are cool, too. And some of my favorite movies are from the 1930's.

I love history! I love feminist history and study most about the women of different time periods because they are quite neglected from most records... so mysterious I find it!

The old west of the U.S., the 1920s, the Spanish inquisition/Spanish history in general, English history, Dutch history... and well, European history in general are some of my favorites. I've just started reading about Chinese history as well and it's really fascinating!

Also, I wrote a novella set in the 1920s (it was complete shit. Though, I suppose that's what revising is for) and I am currently writing one set in the 1800s. ^^

Hurrah for history!!

.diva plavalaguna.

I'm interested in ancient Egyptian history and early humans. 8D

I love that crap I'd buy some if my parents werent so cheap

AdmiralAddax

I love anything from the 20th century, or the late 19th century! There's something about nostalgia that I just adore. Like, my Grandpa house is full of 70's decor and furniture, its like walking into a museum (literally the only modern appliance there is the flat screen TV that sticks out amongst the woodchip wallpaper and wall-mounted plywood furniture :P , He also got the boiler system replaced last year so the 70's gas fireplace has gone now ) The next nearest things to modern appliances is the betamax and early 90's desktop.

And he has a working retro record table, looks a little like:

04mar08.jpg

I always wanted to inherit the house and keep it the way it was.

I always find it funny when I watch home renovation programs and they are like 'We need to get rid of that tacky 60's/70's decor, ew' and I just sit there thinking 'Yea, destroy a piece of history'.

Also while on the topic, does anyone else enjoy that old, murky smell you get in old buildings and houses?

Seventies style is getting a bit on the 'ew' side for me.. (And by that I mean the fashion! LOL) My friend's grandmother had an old TV set from the 70s that had lots of beautiful wooden designs carved into it. My friend wanted to get rid of it, and I was so appalled.

You're lucky to have a grandfather that's still living. Both of mine died before I was born in accidents. :'c I've always wondered what it would be like to talk to them about their lives and the past.

A record player?! D': Okay, now I'm offically jealous of you. XD

AdmiralAddax

Heh, I graduated high school in the 70's so I guess I'm "ancient"!

I love history, but mostly stuff before the Napoleon. :P (mostly kidding. I love British history from the Victorian era back to earliest times, as well as prehistory.)

Old books and maps are cool. Also, old tools, furniture and stuff like that, especially if it can be restored to its fromer glory and made use of. Old architecture, like Victorian homes are cool, too. And some of my favorite movies are from the 1930's.

Haha, well by my friends' state of mind, you would be. xD You're about as old as my dad, so that's not very old.

Yeah, I love seeing old art prints, too! (Norman Rockwell! :D) I subscribe to this magazine that mostly old people subscribe to (it has ads in it for hearing aids and such) where said old people reminisce about their happy memories of the past. People also share their antiques, and pictures of old cars as well! It's called "Reminisce."..I wish more young people would appreciate things like that.

I haven't seen many movies from the Thirties...any recommendations?

Dude, when I was a cashier, I did that ALL THE TIME! XD I even swapped out a few bills! Sometimes customers would just give me strange coins because they didn't want them. The oldest coin I have ever swapped out is a 1901 American penny that's in great condition :)

AUGH, I HATE it when people throw away stuff like that! Annoys me to no end. My dad had some old water pistols that were replicas of real pistols (one of them was a German Luger) that my brother played with in the summertime. Then my mom cleaned out the drawer we kept the water pistols in, and that was the last we saw of them! :(

Where did you get a camera like that?

Oh man, I'm super jealous of the penny. Most of my coins are fairly recent aside from my WWII silver quarter. I had another coin that I found years ago that I assume had to be old, but I lost it before we could get it examined. It resembled a penny and had what looked like a crow or raven on it. I still kick myself over that one.

The only time I get excited when people throw things away is when I can benefit. I can only imagine how many great things my grandparents threw away thinking it was useless kid crap. Some of the stuff my dad had growing up auctions for a few hundred now and I just feel like they threw away gold.

The camera was a fun story though, my friend picked it up from a yard sale a few years ago and remembered that I liked film stuff being a film major, and so she traded it to me so long as I helped her practice kendo in our school gym. I only had to help her once because she lost interest and got a free antique out of the deal :D. It makes me want to check out more yard sales, though I'm afraid my parents would be mad if I filled my room with stuff when I'm supposed to be downsizing :lol:.

Just where is Highway 127? I've never heard of it! :o

It is the strectch of Highway that runs through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. All along that stretch of Highway is people that set up yard sales.

Every now and again, when I'm bored, I read about early computer hardware (I want an Intel 4004...).

Every now and again, when I'm bored, I read about early computer hardware (I want an Intel 4004...).

I'm also into older computers, especially early Apple and NeXT. It's unlikely I'll ever get my hands on one, but I would absolutely love to have a NeXTcube or NeXTstation. They're just so slick!

onlywishIknew

History major here, as well. I love the late 1600s/early 1700s to present, big on the Founders, the Philosophes, arguing alternative views on history. My professors hate me.

If I could wish for one thing, it would be a time machine.

I also share a love for old things. I'd love to travel the 127 yard sale sometime; it's always been a wish of mine.

D

Archived