2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to be touched?

• yes, by anyone
    • yes, but only by friends/family/partner
    • yes, but only by a partner
    • no, not at all

This poll is closed to new votes

Princess Flufflebutt

No. Unless it has fur. I could touch things with fur all day.

I'm a heteroromantic (though very occasionally bi-romantic) heterosexual, with low libido. I'll remain celibate until i learn to reconcile sex with love - something which isn't likely to happen.

about touch... Anything's ok, usually as long as it's non-sexual, and in reasonable privacy

(no public displays please, unless it's mere hand-holding, a pat on the head, resting on a shoulder, etc.)

NachoJesse1992

I suppose I might be an oddity as far as trends go. I'm aromantic, and have only ever dated to please others, mostly my dad, or to seem more normal when I was in middle and high school.

But I love touch. Some of my best friends are those that I'm constantly hugging. I even have some friends that I cuddle and snuggle with, like while watching movies. ^_^

I have absolutely no problem with physical contact, that is as long as it doesn't involve mine or others' genitals. That's where everything starts to get uncomfortable. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid touch in most situations. Exceptions (beyond handshakes of course) would be a romantic partner, and my dance partner.

If in a situation I can't avoid without awkwardness I'll hug a girl I'm fond of.

Aromantic here, and definitely hate touching. Not many things that I find more uncomfortable than that, and this means even shaking hands with someone. In fact, I don't like people being even near me, even if they don't touch, so I try to avoid it at all costs if possible. I like my personal space.

So, I voted "No, not at all", as it seems to be the closest option to "touch me and I'll punch you".

I feel truly comfortable getting hugs from my friends and my mom, I have a preference of females as hug givers, mainly because I tend to know more females.

However I want more hugs, or feel that I do, more hugs and more cuddles! There is no one to give them to me though, and I feel anxious and nervous when faced with the prospect of getting them. It almost makes sense when I am with my mom, since I don't see her very often and going from absolutely no hugs to TONS OF HUGS and then back to no hugs is a little rough.

Asking for hugs and cuddles is just another chance for brutal rejection.

Beware The Demopan

Only if it's a hug or something like that, and by friends, family, or partner (if I had one that is...). If it's rape, it's serious. I don't care if it's a female, I will beat down anyone who rapes me or anyone I care about.

None of these apply to me.

I would like to suggest an "it depends" option because I take a really, really long time to trust someone and *only* after that specific level of trust is built do I feel comfortable being touched by them. It has nothing to do with family bonds or friendship.

I like to be touched, but it's not something that I particularly need or crave. I could be perfectly happy to never come in physical contact with another human as long as I lived, but hugs do feel really nice when they happen. Oh, and I'm non-romantic. If that is part of the question why isn't orientation in the poll options?

yesnonotexactly25

God no not at all. Unfortunately I have friends who feel the need to poke/hug/jumper cable me so I'm always a bit tense around them. They're at least smart enough to know that if their hands come anywhere close to me that I have claws and will use them; I've actually accidentally given some new friends scars from my reflexes T-T All of my friends know know how I feel about it and 99% of them respect it. I've come to see that the better the friend the more they respect your boundaries and one even warns me when I have a hair or a piece of lint or something on me before she gets it :) <3

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

By a loved one, or close friends :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Cuddles and hugs, I eat them :wub: :wub: hahaha

My family? err not really, no. No.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like being touched by anyone. I feel that it is an invasion of space. I also have a reflex to either defend myself or punch the person touching me. i put up with being touched because everyone wants to hug me for some god awful reason. I am however not aromantic. I can see myself in a romantic relationship and I am not sure wether or not I would like to be touched by my partner because I have never had one. I think I just have a space bubble and I don't like people encroaching on my personal space. They have theirs, I have mine. You don't need to show how much you like me by touching me, thank you though. <_<

VanishingLady

I don't like being touched by anyone who isn't "on the list", so to speak: friends, family, the kids I'm representing as a GAL. Unsolicited touching is a big no-no. Tickling will get you punched. And depending on the mood I'm in, even people on the list will be confronted with my not returning their embraces.

Depends on the person, the context and the sort of touch.

I'm very cuddly with my parents, and I've come to really like hugging some close friends as well.

A hug as a greeting is alright, even if we're not that close - but please please don't do that right-and-left kiss-on-the-cheek thing, that's icky. Actually, don't put your mouth near me in a kissy way at all. Never ever.

Any touch that seems to carry sexual or romantic meaning, no matter how close our friendship is, makes me at least somewhat uncomfortable. Borders are fluent and subtle.

I'd take a backrub or shoulder massage from basically anyone, if I wasn't aware of the resulting awkwardness of differing interpretations and expectations.

On the other hand, I don't like my personal space invaded without warning or too often, which does count for close friends and family as well. As long as it's not constantly, though, it doesn't bother me as much as I'd expect it to, probably because it somehow seems that no matter how close others are physically, there's still that infinite distance remaining.

Now what do I vote?

TheKindredSoul

I don't mind being touched by friends and family. I hate any kind of romantic/sexual touching, and never plan on doing that stuff.

I like cuddles, hugs, and cheek kisses. I cannot stand lip-to-lip kisses or any type of touching considered romantic or sexual (I personally see that stuff disgusting, but it doesn't mean everyone else can't do it).

As a rule, I am a fairly affectionate person, but there is certain requirements and rules for someone to touch me. First, I need to know you. If I don't know someone (including a family member), I consider them a stranger but hug them anyway because I know it is required of me, but it makes me highly uncomfortable. Second, it must NOT be romantic or sexual in anyway. That's a good way to scare me away from a person for good. Lastly, there is some times that I don't want to be touched because I feel too warm or something, so I don't want affection forced on me unless I want it.

I have a "cuddle drive" instead of a "sex drive", and it activates at random times. Also, I am aromantic. Also, even though I have a "cuddle drive", I could

probably go without affection for all my life if it was not given to me, but hugs do feel nice nevertheless when they happen. :wub: I honestly like hugging other animals more than I do people; not like I have anything against my own species.

Kung Fu Witch

I don't like being touched too much, it's something I try to avoid unless I really know the person or if I need comfort. In short, I feel that touching or allowing others to touch you is quite intimate, and should stay, um, special, and not become too "normal".

TheKindredSoul

I don't like being touched too much, it's something I try to avoid unless I really know the person or if I need comfort. In short, I feel that touching or allowing others to touch you is quite intimate, and should stay, um, special, and not become too "normal".

I thought I was the only one who thought that way. I feel exactly like that. However, when someone wants me to hug them, I do it because I feel as though that is what's expected from me. I wish I wasn't so passive...

SexNotHaver

I'd love to be groped.

Empty Chairs & Tables

I am most usually fairly anti-touch. I do not enjoy hugging my family or other friends of the family. I do not mind hugging good friends (of whom there are few). I believe my enjoyment of touch is primarily determined by the extent to which I respect, trust, and like an individual. I recently found someone that meets all three of the aforementioned criteria and have somehow become extremely touchy-feely with them. It is strange, as this is very new to me, but even some sexual/romantic touching has been acceptable to me (and previously I would have thought that anything along those lines would be immediately shunned). To borrow language, perhaps I am "demi-tactile" when it comes to touching, in that once I really get to know someone, like them, trust them, and respect who they are, I am encouraging of touching (and do indeed initiate it, too), though with the majority of people I neither enjoy nor initiate touching.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm aromantic and I would have to say I don't like being touched. Seems for most people it depends on who the person is that is doing the touching, but for me it seems that the rules apply to everyone more equally. Would prefer not to have to have handshakes or hugs pretty much ever. (Except I know it makes some people very happy [grandparents] so I wouldn't want to deny them). If the touch has a practical(ish) purpose it doesn't bother me much. Taps on the shoulder to grab attention, hand shakes as a formal/polite gesture, congratulatory high-fives, and massages are okay for the most part. But affectionate gestures like hugs, or holding hands (children exempt) seem to make me want to escape no matter who they are from. Lots of personal space to avoid unnecessary touching is also very important.

Kind of ironic, I used to wrestle. The competitive touch doesn't bother me too much, though I still tried to win with minimal amount of surface area contact.

P.S. Googling dislike of physical contact is how I came across Aven. :P

I have gone from one extreme to the other, over the past year.

When I was married I considered myself heteroromantic, and I craved hugs and cuddling. But now that I'm single, I only tolerate hugs from family members, and honestly feel no desire to be involved in a romantic relationship, ever again - which I guess makes me aromantic?

I don't know if it's normal for a person's romantic orientation to change so drastically, but mine honestly seems to have done a 180! :blink:

I voted "no, not at all" because I didn't have a better option... I do like to hug and pet or be petted, but just by my mom. Yes, JUST her.

I tolerate touches from friends or even handshakes from strangers, but that's it.

I'm still figuring out what's my romantic orientation, and for now I think I'm demiromantic.

I am asexual and aromantic, but I think I'm also just naturally a tactile person. I love hugs and cuddles, mainly with my friends, or even with people I don't know too well if I feel comfortable around them.

Heteroromantic & Partner only.

Physical contact is partially just a way for me to be more feminine, as a mtf person, but it is also just something about me beingmore open to interactions with others than I used to.

Also with romantic partners, I am panromantic and very bdsm oriented, touching is important to me, all except for anything to do with genitals. In essence it is kind of like sex for me, being touched in the way that my partner wants too.

tomboy4life

Im pan-romantic. I cant stand being touched, in any situatuion.

I am aromantic, however, just because I do not 'like' being touched (anywhere, at all), does not mean I am repulsed by the action. This certainly depends upon the motive of the one doing the touching.

Archived