1. 1. Do you like to be touched?

• yes, by anyone
    • yes, but only by friends/family/partner
    • yes, but only by a partner
    • no, not at all

This poll is closed to new votes

Pandora's Fox

Perhaps only by a partner...

While in general I don't like being touched, I am Calm (:P) and thus will not bite.

Unless I'm trapped or really pissed off.

I'm going to break "hugs" into a separate category for me, since I'll hug pretty much anyone.

But basic human touch, I would only trust a partner enough to be touched by him and not get all wiggy. Things like holding hands, their hand resting mostly anywhere, massages, caresses ... gah!!

I hate being so touch starved. :(

I hate it, especially by people I don't know (very well).

socially-awkward-penguingirl-hugging-panic.gif

Every. Time. At. Parties. (When saying good byes)

Aromatic Asexual, duh.

Will go against the general aromantic grain here, a little. I actually really like touch - the better I know the person the more likely, of course. Total strangers are usually awkward. So yeah, I quite enjoy physical contact. Not the making out type or holding hands - but just the physical presence of another person, type. Had a "cuddle corner" with loads of pillows in my flat (also great to read books!) and will have one when I have my own place again (currently lodging somewhere temporarily).

I am quite tactile in general, often run my fingers along things while walking, or have a coin or similar object (a bone I found in the mountain, once, for a while!) in my pocket that I can twirl, squeeze etc.

Cognitive Dissonance

I really dislike being touched; even just being tapped on the shoulder to draw my attention makes me feel really tense. It's a really hard thing to try and tell friends and the like, especially when a couple of my friends are really 'touchy feely' people'. I've told them quite a few times that it makes me feel uncomfortable, but they forget quite a lot and, especially during the winter, they're keen to randomly test the temperature of my hand compared to their own without warning me first, which makes me automatically recoil quickly. :wacko:

Even worse than this is when people touch my stomach area; from my solar plexus to a couple of inches below my belly-button. It's only ever happened once when (one of my best friends tried to tickle me) and I instantly felt really weak and sick. He said that I turned pale really quickly as well, so he stopped, apologised and told me to lay down for a while. I don't think he really believed that I was that sensitive to touch until then, and even I didn't realise until then just how much it affected me. But still, he was always much more careful afterwards. ^_^

On very very rare occasions, I have been known to give people I'm really comfortable with a hug if they are really upset and need one, and as long as I prepare myself mentally for it first and it doesn't last too long I'm OK with it. However, if someone tries to give me a hug, I run as fast as I can in the other direction! :P

I quite like touch (up to a point). But only if I know you fairly well. I'll hug just about anyone, but anything more than that and I like to know the person. And I have to be the one instigating the hug if I don't know you. When strangers try to come up and hug me I get very uncomfortable.

I'm pretty open with my body.

But I actually discovered the limit to what I'd allow... Dude at a new years eve party put his hand in my pants and I freaked out. Because I had NOT invited him to do so. ):

I hate it. Unless, that is, that I am extremely comfortable with the person doing the touching and, honestly, I really never have been. I think that I must have some minor social anxiety or something.

You and me both. *pout* :(

Will go against the general aromantic grain here, a little. I actually really like touch - the better I know the person the more likely, of course. Total strangers are usually awkward. So yeah, I quite enjoy physical contact. Not the making out type or holding hands - but just the physical presence of another person, type. Had a "cuddle corner" with loads of pillows in my flat (also great to read books!) and will have one when I have my own place again (currently lodging somewhere temporarily).

I am quite tactile in general, often run my fingers along things while walking, or have a coin or similar object (a bone I found in the mountain, once, for a while!) in my pocket that I can twirl, squeeze etc.

Yes, I tend to be quite tactile in a similar fashion. A cuddle corner, that's awesome! :D

But I actually discovered the limit to what I'd allow... Dude at a new years eve party put his hand in my pants and I freaked out. Because I had NOT invited him to do so. ):

Dude deserved to have something in his pants, like a knee or a foot. :angry:

You and me both. *pout* :(

Yes, I tend to be quite tactile in a similar fashion. A cuddle corner, that's awesome! :D

Dude deserved to have something in his pants, like a knee or a foot. :angry:

I yelled at him... made it awkward for everyone, but I'm still proud of myself for yelling at him instead of taking it. Because I was dead drunk at the time. He'd been hitting on me all evening and I wasn't very keen on the idea. Especially after we'd played a few rounds of "I've Never" and I learned some pretty gross things about his sexual past. His brother still thinks we'd make a great pair but I'm like... uhmno. Not really interested anymore. I know the guy too well now.

But normally I don't care what's done with my body. I play grab-ass with my girlfriends and I'll hug total strangers if it looks like they need it. But the guy made skin-to-skin contact when I'd not invited him to do so and it freaked me out.

As for being touch-starved... I get that way when I'm sick or feeling bad. It makes me real upset if I feel like crap and I can't get hugs.

A Cuddle Corner sounds fantastic! :3

The Pofessional

Er. I love the idea of touch. But at the same time... eh. I'll admit I'm a teensy bit touch-phobic. Hugs are my limit :^)

I'm such a cuddleslut in my head .__.;

I yelled at him... made it awkward for everyone, but I'm still proud of myself for yelling at him instead of taking it. Because I was dead drunk at the time. He'd been hitting on me all evening and I wasn't very keen on the idea. Especially after we'd played a few rounds of "I've Never" and I learned some pretty gross things about his sexual past. His brother still thinks we'd make a great pair but I'm like... uhmno. Not really interested anymore. I know the guy too well now.

But normally I don't care what's done with my body. I play grab-ass with my girlfriends and I'll hug total strangers if it looks like they need it. But the guy made skin-to-skin contact when I'd not invited him to do so and it freaked me out.

As for being touch-starved... I get that way when I'm sick or feeling bad. It makes me real upset if I feel like crap and I can't get hugs.

A Cuddle Corner sounds fantastic! :3

Good-on-ya for making your displeasure very clear, though I still say an intimate part of his anatomy could've used being introduced to a solid object travelling at high speed.

Oh I'm definitely one of those hug everyone type of people. Its sort of a casual way of saying "Hi I'm glad too see you and thank you noticing me/ being my friend." without all the weirdness of saying all that.

Janus the Fox

Do I like to be touched? Maybe, but only be family/friends/partners. Cant really get that close to people quite yet. Hugs yes, anything more than that, dont know, Im not the most romantic guy in the world.

Hmmm. I don't really 'like' being touched, but I will tolerate it when it comes from someone I care about. Also, it really depends on my mood. I'm I'm hypomanic or anxious or irritated (or all three) getting a hug or even close proximity to people upsets me. If I'm really sad, just being near someone or getting a good hug/kiss makes me feel safer and happier. So it's a mixed bag with me. I don't like making out. There was only one person I enjoyed that with, and it was less sexually and more...intimately? dunno how to explain. But yeah, don't touch me unless I initiate the contact. My mom knows. She'll be like "do you want a hug?" before she hugs me, I really appreciate that.

*killer*queen*

You know, I honestly don't. I grew up in a very loving environment. My parents were affectionate towards each other and myself so it's not like I can attribute my dislike of being touched to some horrible upbringing. I have never been molested so it's not because of a traumatizing incident. It just is. As long as I feel the touch is neutral and without any sexual leaning, I can tolerate it longer but after a while, I am still bound to get uncomfortable. I also tend to lay on my side as far away from my boyfriend as I can get when we go to bed. He's a cuddler and I'll try for a while but he can tell when I start getting antsy about it.

So, yeah.. I have no idea! I think about it a lot and try to figure myself out but I think there are just some things ingrained in my personality that I can't change.

This...explains it so much better than I could. No reason behind it. It's just me.

Voted 'yes, by friends and family' and I'm [demi-]panromantic.

My family isn't terribly physically affectionate, but I'm really tactile and love being touched. Mainly by close friends and relatives, but I'm pretty relaxed about personal space and being touched generally, so I probably could've voted for 'by everyone'. I think if you really took me by surprise or I was nervous I'd have a much more aversive reaction, but if I'm in my comfort zone nothing really phases me (I had a bus ride last year with a drunk guy leaning on me and telling me his woes and didn't really have any sort of negative response, so it's pretty safe to say that most of the time I don't need a lot of personal space). I like cuddles and massages and hair-ruffles, and I like showing affection by hugging people or leaning on them and things like that. I use it to make up for not being so good with words.

Hell, no! I don't like being touched, not by my family members and not by friends. It gives me the creeps - it's not because I made a bad experience, it was always like that since I was a child. When someone came around and tried to hug me .. well, hiding behind my mum helped mostly. And I certainly don't like it when strangers, who I first meet, greet me with a hug or a kiss me on my cheeks. :P

Handshake is cool, any other form of bodily contact (ie hugs) is not. Though my flatmates find it quite funny all group hugging me just because they know it irks me.

Weirdly, contact in sport (rugby, American football) is cool.

blackwingsblackheart

I really don't like touch, not even handshakes (why oh why can't Westerners adopt the Asian bow?). Especially damp, limp handshakes, yuck. My roommate is terrific about respecting my limits, and asks first. I have other friends I've known longer, who either decided it would be good for me to get hugs, or are just huggy people by nature. Unfortunately, I didn't and don't want to hurt their feelings by refusing; I also thought, "Well, maybe if I try it maybe someday I'll get to like it." Hasn't happened yet :(. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm aromantic.

I'm panromantic... And absolutely touch-starved. Problem is, except for minor things like handshakes and hugs, I need to trust someone implicitly before I can deal with any type of touch, or else it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me... Which essentially leaves it at only a few people, because I have trust issues. Among them are two cousins and a potential partner, and sometimes as many as two of my other friends. But once I do start to trust someone, I will try to touch them as much as possible (: Cuddling, hugs, hand-holding, resting my head on their shoulders... It's like an addiction for me. ...And kind of a problem sometimes... Apparently, at least one of those people but probably more than one were (was?) asked multiple times whether they were in a relationship with me, because I was touching them in public—in one case, using the excuse of being cold to share body heat with them (:

• 3 weeks later...

I love hugs, handshakes and all that. I like giving kisses on the cheek to reallllly close friends or little kids who like kissies (their words, not mine.)

Also, at school I get my butt grabbed all the time (awkward touch Tuesday is a real killer) and when it's non-sexual I'm okay. Or when this guy Nik does it but that's because we have the weirdest friendship. I do yelp and jump when my butt gets grabbed though. It's not pleasurable bu I don't mind.

Midnight Lady

Yes, I love touching (heteroromantic, btw. Looks like people forget to answer that part). But family, friends (who are of touchy type, otherwise I might start questioning their feelings about me... :) ), and of course a partner. But I will initiate touching only with my mom and my SO. Others should start first-and I will pick up on their lead. :)

I don't like being touched by other people. Even as a kid I didn't like it. I will touch my son, of course, but he's not very touchy-feely either.

Tosca's Prayer

i guess i have more romantic feelings towards girls, so homoromantic, or bi-curiousromantic, if thats a thing.

generally, if i havent intitiated touching with someone, i am uncomfortable with it. i have a few friends that i really like touching, almost to ground myself. (like stroking their hair is a favourite of mine, or sitting close to them)

I don't mind it, so long as it's someone I know (and they're not being a dick about it).

MiserableGuest

Except for handshakes, I mostly don't like being touched by anyone & I'm aromantic. Whenever people touch me I tend to involuntarily wince. I think of it as an invasion of personal space.

Archived