The Shining

carried in bags

carried in bags

I was pottering around IMDB on a couple of films I like and read up on Kings/Kubricks film The Shining. I ended up rather surprised to read how some film-maker bloke called Paul Mayersberg sees Jack and naked-woman-in-bathroom as being asexual...mmm - I don't see it myself...I think maybe Paul is muddled up with it all, but it's nice to know we're thort of in a masterpiece movie! :lol:

Thirdly, it is the only overtly sexual scene in the movie. The Shining is a strangely chaste horror story. Part of this comes from Jack's sexual indifference; he is always glancing at women, including his wife, but he never actually does anything to them. Lack of sexual drive is characteristic of a paranoid personality. The young naked woman also seems asexual. She looks like one of those models who pose in seedy lunchtime photographic clubs.

I was pottering around IMDB on a couple of films I like and read up on Kings/Kubricks film The Shining. I ended up rather surprised to read how some film-maker bloke called Paul Mayersberg sees Jack and naked-woman-in-bathroom as being asexual...mmm - I don't see it myself...I think maybe Paul is muddled up with it all, but it's nice to know we're thort of in a masterpiece movie! :lol:

Maybe that whole scene is a metaphor for his asexuality? He goes to make-out with this beautiful women only to have her rot in his arms. Amazing film, though! :lol:

I love the Shining! One of the best horror films ever made!

TheEvaTree

I love the Shining! One of the best horror films ever made!

Normally I can't handle horror movies and stay the farthest away from them.

I do admit though, this is a beautiful masterpiece...I've watched it several times drowning in someones arms, hiding behind a pillow.

I love the depths of it, the infinite layer on layer of haphazardous(?) and destined fate of one of the coolest boy characters ever...

Member 35376

"Hi Lloyd! Been away.. but now I'm back!", LOL :)

I just love the scenes with him and Lloyd (the bartender) chatting away in conversations beyond any normal time, space or "sanity" :P

Also the atmosphere when Jack transcends time in the ballroom (which is "dead empty" in reality) just before catching up with Lloyd.. priceless!

• 4 weeks later...

It is a great movie!

Oh, how I would love a few months alone to write a book, paint, create music. One day I plan on doing just that. Hopefully I won't go crazy! :ph34r:

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to say it: you have to read the book. So many elements are missing from the movie. I forget, does the little boy even have the shine?

The Pixel Monk

Yes, Not-You. And certain character survive, and the narrative flows better in the book as well. It's one of King's few decent long format works. That said, the film is okay. Though I did get irritated by some of the changes...really, "Come play with us, Danny" is forever imprinted in my head. XD

• 3 months later...

If I remember right, wasn't he getting a little...."sensual" with that girl before she all of a sudden turned into a rotting walking old corpse?