Photo

Are Georgia O'Keeffe's Paintings Erotic?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Are Georgia O'Keeffe's Paintings Erotic? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

For asexuals--Do you find Georgia O'Keefe's art to be erotic?

1. Not at all. (Vaginas? What vaginas?) (19 votes [54.29%])

Percentage of vote: 54.29%

2. Slightly erotic. (I can kind of see it) (12 votes [34.29%])

Percentage of vote: 34.29%

3. Totally erotic. (I'm looking at pure sex) (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

4. Not asexual--see second question. (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

For non-asexuals--Do you find Georgia O'Keefe's art to be erotic?

1. Not at all. (Vaginas? What vaginas?) (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

2. Slightly erotic. (I can kind of see it) (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

3. Totally erotic. (I'm looking at pure sex) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Asexual--see first question (30 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vampireseal

Vampireseal

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

I found this interesting article in Care2 Causes. I just have to say that never in my life have I considered O'Keefe's bones and flowers to be erotic. I just thought they were pretty flowers and cow skulls. Granted, if I was a huge O'Keefe fan, maybe I would have known, but I didn't.

At any rate, according researchers of Muhlenberg College of Pennsylvania, women find O'Keefe are more erotic when they are at their most fertile part of the menstrual cycle.

I was surprised to find the survey at the bottom of article found that 46% of readers found the works erotic as well. Damn, I had no idea, people. People see vaginas everywhere.

So for all my fellow asexuals, here's the requisite survey for ya.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Reader of Strange Books

Reader of Strange Books

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

I find some of O'Keefe's flowers to be slightly erotic, but then when you think about it, flowers are basically plants' sex organs. And pollen, well, do I have to spell it out to you what that is? Kind of kinky and disgusting when you think about it.

#3 Vampireseal

Vampireseal

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

I find some of O'Keefe's flowers to be slightly erotic, but then when you think about it, flowers are basically plants' sex organs. And pollen, well, do I have to spell it out to you what that is? Kind of kinky and disgusting when you think about it.

True--flowers are a plant's sex organs. And flowers have been a yonic symbol for centuries. Still, not every portrayal of a flower is intended to be erotic, and it never occurred to me that O'Keefe's could be or should be intended to be erotic. I wonder if that was her intent, or if she was simply interested in them from a standpoint of a naturist's eye for beauty. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be surprised 20 years from now to learn that Audubon's birds were all sexual symbols?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Matters Of The Heart

Matters Of The Heart

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

Definitely some vulvular imagery in there. Progressive female artist......genitals. Just look at Judy Chicago's work. No wait, don't. -_-

#5 Sally

Sally

Cakemaster

• AVEN Members
  • 24,101 posts
  • A/Sexuality:old asexual

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

They've always been considered to be erotic paintings.

I don't have the energy to do PMs.

#6 Moon Thief

Moon Thief

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • Pronouns:they
  • A/Sexuality:Grey-romantic.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:25 AM

I've never heard of them being erotic before, but I can see the slight eroticism.

#7 Matters Of The Heart

Matters Of The Heart

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

Does genital-esque imagery HAVE to be considered "erotic"?

#8 Asexy Existentialist

Asexy Existentialist

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

According to dictionary.com,

e·rot·ic   /ɪˈrɒtɪk/ Show Spelled
[ih-rot-ik] Show IPA

–adjective Also, e·rot·i·cal.
1. arousing or satisfying sexual desire: an erotic dance.
2. of, pertaining to, or treating of sexual love; amatory: an erotic novel.
3. subject to or marked by strong sexual desire.

So while they look like genitals, I wouldn't say they're erotic. They might arouse or satisfy someone's sexual desire, but whether they do for the majority? I'm doubtful.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Ghandi

#9 Gatto

Gatto

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • Location:No one sleeps in this room without the dream of a common language.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I've become the sort of man who once will have been what I am.

Sunny lies softly sleeping, resting, peaceful seeming. Bright eyes cloaked in darkness slumber. What dreams he? I wonder.

Posted Image

Sic transit gloria mundi.

#10 Deremna

Deremna

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,142 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Biromantic demisexual. Considering polyamoury. Yeah.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

This is what I was thinking. I see the vajays but I don't find them erotic. They're flowers.. That happen to look like a female's anatomy.

#11 Hugo_

Hugo_

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 281 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

So this was why people acted strangely that day in art... I remember in passing that my teacher may have said something about them being considered erotic, but I didn't pay attention- it just didn't strike that chord with me. They're bones and flowers... I struggle to see the connection to things that aren't bones and flowers here.
And that's terrible

#12 Deremna

Deremna

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,142 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Biromantic demisexual. Considering polyamoury. Yeah.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

Definitely some vulvular imagery in there. Progressive female artist......genitals. Just look at Judy Chicago's work. No wait, don't. -_-

Meep! :blink:

Why did I do it when you clearly said not to!?

#13 Pandoren

Pandoren

AVENger

• AVEN Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic asexual

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, most of those pictures did look consistently like female genitalia rofl!

PS thanks Matters of the Heart for using "vulvular", it is my new pet hate when people call the outside a vagina. Isn't there another thread asking if asexuals need sex ed? Answer: yes.

"Voulez-vous entrer un relation platonique avec moi?" probably just wouldn't work. ~Slavaa
"You know you are asexual when a hot night means an air conditioner failure" ~ApolloSeek

#14 AnyOtherName

AnyOtherName

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

That many people? :blink: My mind. It is blown.

I just don't get the whole 'seeing penises/vulva' everywhere thing. I mean, seeing faces where there aren't makes sense, considering we use our faces to communicate so much. But genitals? Why does EVERY single object that happens to be a certain shape have to be genitals? (Rhetorical question. I'm sure it has something to do with constantly thinking about sex to ensure the species survival. -_- )

Re: "Does genital-esque imagery have to be considered erotic?" I agree. 'Erotic' is in the eyes of the beholder. Just because an artist creates something featuring or containing nudity (genitals need not be visible) doesn't mean it was meant to be erotic. Of course, just because it wasn't doesn't mean it isn't. (A visual accidental innuendo, if you will.) But still. How erotic something is depends entirely on individual and the culture it's being viewed in. (Ex: Ancient Rome vs. Victorian England vs. rural U.S. vs. urban U.S. 'Scandalizing' is relative.)

I mean, what are anatomy/physiology books, then? More clinical versions of the Karma Sutra? :P

#15 Gatto

Gatto

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • Location:No one sleeps in this room without the dream of a common language.

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:54 AM

That many people? :blink: My mind. It is blown.

I just don't get the whole 'seeing penises/vulva' everywhere thing. I mean, seeing faces where there aren't makes sense, considering we use our faces to communicate so much. But genitals? Why does EVERY single object that happens to be a certain shape have to be genitals? (Rhetorical question. I'm sure it has something to do with constantly thinking about sex to ensure the species survival. -_- )

Re: "Does genital-esque imagery have to be considered erotic?" I agree. 'Erotic' is in the eyes of the beholder. Just because an artist creates something featuring or containing nudity (genitals need not be visible) doesn't mean it was meant to be erotic. Of course, just because it wasn't doesn't mean it isn't. (A visual accidental innuendo, if you will.) But still. How erotic something is depends entirely on individual and the culture it's being viewed in. (Ex: Ancient Rome vs. Victorian England vs. rural U.S. vs. urban U.S. 'Scandalizing' is relative.)

I mean, what are anatomy/physiology books, then? More clinical versions of the Karma Sutra? :P

Nice avatar you have there.

;)
I've become the sort of man who once will have been what I am.

Sunny lies softly sleeping, resting, peaceful seeming. Bright eyes cloaked in darkness slumber. What dreams he? I wonder.

Posted Image

Sic transit gloria mundi.

#16 AnyOtherName

AnyOtherName

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

Nice avatar you have there.

;)

...Thank you? (Sorry, I'm not sure if the compliment is somehow related to my post, or if you quoted for unrelated reasons and are simply complimenting me. :P )

#17 Observer

Observer

A-Mazing

• AVEN Members
  • 86 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Hopeless romantic?

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

Sometimes you see in art what you want to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users