The Deed of Paksenarrion, Elizabeth Moon [2003]

I was cruising AVEN wiki and realized that one of my favorite books, The Deed of Paksenarrion has a main character (Paks) that is asexual. This was kind of a shock to me, as I had not really thought about it, having read the book when I was a teenager. Paks is a nifty character, and I recommend this book.

this book is actually a triligy (sp), and it is sort of a fantasy sort of thing. But it has a real appeal that makes it stand out (although not by much) from the other books in this genre. I think that the reason that it was so appealing to me what that I really associated with the main character for a lot of reasons.

The book is also special, because it is one of the few books to make me cry so hard that I had to put the book down.

Unfortunatly, everything else by the author is pretty terrible. But this stands out.

http://www.amazon.com/Deed-Paksenarrion-Elizabeth-Moon/dp/0743471601

Strangely enough I just finished reading this trilogy a few days ago and was thinking about making a topic for it!

I had no idea the main character was (what appears to be) aromantic asexual, it was just something I randomly bought off Amazon. As I was reading I kept expecting the usual love interest to be introduced to the story, but was pretty impressed when she retained her ace-ness the entire way through ^_^

Qutenkuddly

Good Gods but it has been such a long time ago since I read it and, yeah, you're right, Paks is Ace. An Ace in armour! Excellent!

BaronTheCat

As I was reading I kept expecting the usual love interest to be introduced to the story, but was pretty impressed when she retained her ace-ness the entire way through ^_^

Same here.

As I was reading I kept expecting the usual love interest to be introduced to the story, but was pretty impressed when she retained her ace-ness the entire way through ^_^

Same here.

Moon also had same-sex unions in the book. Paks's asexuality is also interesting as many other characters in the novel do have unions. Paks doesn't decide against having an union, it just never really occurs to her (except maybe with Saben, although that is sort of after the fact.)

I think that what I like most about the book is that Moon treats sexuality like it SHOULD be treated-- an option and an aspect of life, like horseback riding. We get so much crap crammed down our throat about true love being the end all (such as in this comic: http://xkcd.com/572/) that we tend to glaze over the other wonderful things in life.