For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

I drove to Koli today since it was such a nice weather. Took few photos along the way and after climbing on top of Ukko-koli. So, spamming photos again.

Start of the trip about 10km from my house at the local ferry crossing. Heading the wrong way, but I was taking a longer route that eventually circles towards Koli.

koli_1_zps38nyhui0.jpg

Few photos from the nature sanctuary area next to a rest stop at Koli.

koli_2_zps2ego0ikk.jpg

koli_3_zpsv8zwoqin.jpg

koli_4_zpsqw1sijos.jpg

Almost at the top.

koli_5_zpsgqqjjoj0.jpg

At the top of Ukko-koli.

koli_6_zpsei7qiu4j.jpgkoli_7_zpsclyv2dns.jpgkoli_8_zpsiv6cke36.jpgkoli_9_zpsishtrz9g.jpgkoli_11_zpspxx4ql0i.jpg

koli_10_zpsxh1ebsvt.jpg

Pointless selfie. Don't worry, I'm not sad. I always look like that outside, because I have to squint in the sunlight.

koli_12_zpswsimzwuv.jpg

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

What glorious photos (and the bike's pretty good too :D ) I think you'e very lucky to live in a place with so much beautiful scenery.

Nice selfie - I don't think you look sad, just thoughtful :)

• Like 1

Waaaooow :wub: now I really, really want to go there !

I wish I was back in Savo rather than in Helsinki where all the concrete and glass reflects the sun at every angle and I have burnt all over my face despite thick suncream and a headscarf <looks for jealous emoticon> It is a total mystery to me how almost everyone else is going round in vests and shorts and still really tastefully pale <looks again and still fails to find>.

But one really good thing is that I know I've got better since last year because I can understand more of the signs around me, and a bit of what people say, and people understand me when I say very simple things.

(The taxi driver chatting for 20mn on the way to the airport, speaking quietly while looking away from me, was a different matter. I have a strong suspicion that the conversation went something like "so where are you from ?" "well I'm learning Finnish", "and when will you come back to Kuopio ?" "yes", and so forth. I hope I gave him something to laugh about with his mates later, he certainly didn't get a decent conversation poor man).

I'm amazed how excited random people are that I'm trying to learn Finnish, and how keen they are to speak Finnish to me given that my Finnish is still really bad. Yesterday in a shop I made a sentence that was half English words and with all the wrong cases, and the shop assistant still fell all over me saying I spoke Finnish well, which was very very kind but I think says more about how many English-speaking tourists there are here than about my language skills.

• Like 2

I'm amazed how excited random people are that I'm trying to learn Finnish, and how keen they are to speak Finnish to me given that my Finnish is still really bad. Yesterday in a shop I made a sentence that was half English words and with all the wrong cases, and the shop assistant still fell all over me saying I spoke Finnish well, which was very very kind but I think says more about how many English-speaking tourists there are here than about my language skills.

Generally cultures are really friendly and kind when you are attempting at their language. They love it no matter how butcher you might be doing it. It opens doors you might not have opened up locally because you are trying. Nice going!!

• Like 2

Not my photo, because I'm not very good at taking pictures, but here is the lovely place I went to this weekend (nearest national park to Helsinki).

header_Mustalampi.jpg

I was particularly excited to see a siskin on its summer holidays like me (at home they only visit in very cold winters).

1805.jpg

Back to Finnish class tomorrow to try and improve a bit !

• Like 5

I wonder if anyone here remembers me!

I sure remember vervain's gorgeous photographs, though. And all I see now is that they have gotten even better.

I'm not posting much on the boards, so don't expect to see me often here, but if you remember me - cheers :D and if you don't? Cheers anyway!

Generally cultures are really friendly and kind when you are attempting at their language. They love it no matter how butcher you might be doing it. It opens doors you might not have opened up locally because you are trying. Nice going!!

Yes if a person I work with goes away another day and is complaining aout staff in the destination, I will ask about whether they tried the language, the answer will be no.

A girl I know when to France and had a little bit of friends but she found the staff very good and helpful.

I though had no dutch when I visited Amsterdam and Utrecht but I didn't find any problems

hi silver, I remember you :)

• Like 1
Autumn Sunrise

vervain - I love the pictures you posted :D What a gorgeous place! I hope the Finnish lessons are going well - sounds like a great opportunity to learn a new and quite different language :)

OH HEY IFF! It is a pleasure :)

And don't worry, people, it's not all that bad. I'm Italian, I met with a foreign AVENite for two consecutive days recently (hello Robin) and we spoke English, and after those two days alone my brain was still constantly prompting me to answer Italian questions in English.

I'm going to Vancouver for a week. Here goes hoping I don't forget my native language during that time span :P

Catch a javelin?! :-P

Is that called getting the point

• Like 1

Hi Silver, it's great to see you back :) (though I'm not sure it's my photos you remember as I usually post other people's :redface:) how are things ?

I'm about 2/3 of the way through my trip now. Today after class I went window shopping for beautiful Finnish things which I can't get at home or where I work, and presents for family and friends (I like buying stuff through the year and stashing it in a cupboard, then I know there are perfect things waiting ready to wrap up when I need them, and abroad is ideal for that as I get to see quite different things). I now have to work out how much there will be space for in my suitcase.

I love travelling and especially spending some time living in the same foreign place, but I find that not having some particular foodstuffs gets really difficult after a while. Stuff like sausage for instance : most places I go to have sausage of some shape or form, and it's delicious, but the one I want is my own traditional sort from home ! I often take some groceries like chocolate, tea and tinned veg around with me for this reason -- sometimes I just need the one that is exactly right.

• Like 2

I GOT MY CONDO!!! Painting delays and health issues have provided a few minor setbacks, but I should be ready for the full moving day on Saturday.

Guess I can't pretend anymore. :mellow:

• Like 6

Yay for new digs!

Congratulations SnowCone, the waiting is finally over. Well done and happy moving.

Autumn Sunrise

Congratulations, SnowCone - that's so exciting! Good luck with the move, and I hope you'll be very happy in your new condo :wub:

Wow, that sounds great SnowCone! Moving can be exhausting but somehow it's also exciting. Hope you'll feel at home at your new place. ^_^

• Like 1

dbk > hello, have some :cake:

SnowCone > many many congratulations ! hope the move went smoothly and you're enjoying getting settled in your Own Place.

brotherlouie

I'd like to say hello, I'm late 30s and from Scotland. A bit tired of being 15-20 years older than most of the online asexual community seems to be, so signing in here and resigning myself to reality. :D

• Like 1
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, brotherlouie :cake::cake::cake: There's a thriving community of "older" asexuals here, so lots of potential for finding friends and having fun :)

brotherlouie welcome and have the ritual cake 🎂.

Time for a sudden change then, now you're one of the young 'uns

• Like 1

Hi, I'm Wattle :) I've recently turned 31 and I live in Australia...and I just discovered this place, so yay for that!

• Like 2

Welcome to all the new folk!

Welcome!! Welcome all! Please engage as you might here. We create our own conversations here. Tell and share stories -- adventures -- photos -- personal achievements -- questions -- successes.

A defining factor about me is I bike religiously. I do it for transportation in the city and recreational. Another member, iff, is also a manic biker. This year I have slowed my biking in exchange for running. Moreover, I am on a path to seek out my first half marathon.

In terms of asexuality, I am okay with sex. I am okay with all sorts of aspects about it that asexuals might not be comfortable with; however, I enjoy the emotional connection with someone. I don’t go seeking it. I can best classify myself as demi. Keep reading around the forums. Don’t get too hung up on identification. We are glad to have you have being apart of the group.

Hi & welcome to all the new people.

@Snowcone: Congratulations for getting an apartment!

I've been very sick for a week now. I guess it's some sort of influenza. It started as sore throat and slight fever, but it feels like it's trying to turn into a full time pneumonia. The weirdest thing is that the infection has spread to my eyes. They're so bloodshot that I look like a drug addict.

Anyway, not a ideal way to spend your summer.

I've just baked some zesty lemon fairy cakes. I would like to virtually share them with you all. Sorry I'm doing that thing again of disappearing and then randomly jumping back into the thread. Anyway :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

I'm so random. Am I really 32?!?!?!

• Like 1

Cement, get well soon, and have a :cake: :cake: :cake: to assist your recovery