For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

wonderlost

Oh no! Of course he wasn't electrocuted! wacko.gif He just screamed and begged and complained. You can actually youtube that experiment, I am pretty sure, because we watched its video. And even when he would stop screaming after a certain number (like 200 W), people would still continue pressing the lever and hearing the silence in response.

As for McDonalds one, I will try to find that story later on Youtube, because it was complicated to explain in a few words... But the bf appeared there for a reason.

And yes, I agree that a person should go at least through a certain experience to be able to say "Yes, I did that the previous time, and good chances are I will do and be the same again later (even though there are chances that it won't work next time)!". It all goes to the argument "Shall I try sex to know if I am asexual or not?", don't you think?.. happy.gif

There's a public radio program here called RadioLab. They had a piece about that experiment, among other things. I will try to find it and listen again, because while I don't remember any details, I do remember the guest had some very interesting things to say about that experiment and the follow up experiments that were done.

Actually, if you like podcasts that are extremely well produced, and science-based with a strong flavoring of philosophy and art, I'd highly recommend the RadioLab podcast. It's in iTunes, of course.

When I heard about that experiment as a young girl, I was sure I would be one of the resistant ones. I've lost some of my certainty, though I sure hope that I would resist any such coercion.

I would second the RadioLab recommendation! And if you like RadioLab, you might also enjoy Stuff to Blow Your Mind.

Oh no! Of course he wasn't electrocuted! wacko.gif He just screamed and begged and complained. You can actually youtube that experiment, I am pretty sure, because we watched its video. And even when he would stop screaming after a certain number (like 200 W), people would still continue pressing the lever and hearing the silence in response.

As for McDonalds one, I will try to find that story later on Youtube, because it was complicated to explain in a few words... But the bf appeared there for a reason.

And yes, I agree that a person should go at least through a certain experience to be able to say "Yes, I did that the previous time, and good chances are I will do and be the same again later (even though there are chances that it won't work next time)!". It all goes to the argument "Shall I try sex to know if I am asexual or not?", don't you think?.. happy.gif

There's a public radio program here called RadioLab. They had a piece about that experiment, among other things. I will try to find it and listen again, because while I don't remember any details, I do remember the guest had some very interesting things to say about that experiment and the follow up experiments that were done.

Actually, if you like podcasts that are extremely well produced, and science-based with a strong flavoring of philosophy and art, I'd highly recommend the RadioLab podcast. It's in iTunes, of course.

When I heard about that experiment as a young girl, I was sure I would be one of the resistant ones. I've lost some of my certainty, though I sure hope that I would resist any such coercion.

I would second the RadioLab recommendation! And if you like RadioLab, you might also enjoy Stuff to Blow Your Mind.

I like Stuff to Blow Your Mind! Robert's nasal voice takes a little getting used to, though.

So...pretty late to this game as it's often a 20s thing, but I bought my first home this week. This is more grown up than I'm comfortable.

• Like 7
the bumbling rotifer

Oh WOW, congratulations, SnowCone! Can we see pictures? :D

I don't get possession of it for a couple more months, but when I do I will post pictures. It's a 17th floor condo and the view is amazing.

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

How exciting, SnowCone - congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures, and I hope you'll be very happy in your new home :wub:

• Like 1

Congrats snowcone. :)

• Like 1
njosnavelin

So...pretty late to this game as it's often a 20s thing, but I bought my first home this week. This is more grown up than I'm comfortable.

I am incredibly happy to hear this!!

• Like 2

That is pretty awesome to own your own home. Most of the people I know rent instead of own their houses. My mom only recently bought her first house last year and she's nearly 60.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! The possession date is in August, so there's still a couple of months to get my shit together. When I move in, I'll take some pictures of the amazing view.

• Like 5

Hi and welcome ILikePurple and greycatgal :) :cake: :cake:

I'm back from my time away in Scotland-where I got to fly a harris hawk!!! It was freaking AMAZING. It was flying to and from my hand within minutes-what an incredible experience!

Also, my beloved football (soccer) team, Preston North End, have been promoted! I know Dex is a football fan so I know he will understand my unbridled joy at this! Anyone else or am I being giddy all by myself?! (nothing new there then) ;)

@Jen - A PNE fan, eh! Jermaine Beckford put on perfect performances in the play off finals. That 60 yarder against Chesterfield? Magnificent! Congrats on that front. 8) Do you think you can do back-to-back promotions?
I'm a Spurs fan. I dread the end of the season. There's nothing to do or talk about. My weekends will now be empty and pointless until mid August. My conversations with my dad will be brief.
@Cement - I've enjoyed looking through your photos. Thanks for sharing.
And congratulations on your new home SnowCone. I hope you have many happy years there.
It had always been a dream of mine, to have my own place and do my own thing, and at 37 and still living with the folks, you've done it a lot earlier than I have.
I've been spending time down at the beach, mainly on the evenings, and although my photos aren't as great as Cement's, it has been very beneficial in the hard times.
031_zpsbn76smhd.jpg
My brother wont appreciate this. But he doesn't have to know.
  • Like 8
the bumbling rotifer

Oh wow, Dex! What a lovely spot! Whereabouts is it? It looks a lot like the UK coastline.

• Like 3
Skycaptain

SnowCone, I was 36 when I bought mine, there is nothing wrong with being late to the party :cake::cake: :D

• Like 4

Oh wow, Dex! What a lovely spot! Whereabouts is it? It looks a lot like the UK coastline.

It is just a few hundred meters away from a very famous local landmark, at least it used to be, a place called Marsden Rock which sadly crumbled a number of years back. In this link, in the photo that is from 1974, you can see the out crop of beach (to the left) that we were photographing, and there's a number of alcoves on the shore. I used to get there when I was very ill, the sea air has always calmed me, and on the approach to the cliff tops there's a vast field that resembles a meadow in the summer. It's beautiful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsden_Rock

@Skycaptain - I've been away for a while, so I missed your promotion. Congratulations. I hope you're having even more fun. :)

• Like 6

SnowCone > congratulations ! what an amazing feeling to have your own house that you can decorate and furnish and live in just however you like. :wub: enjoy it to the full !

Dex > happy to see you back :) that's a beautiful bit of coastline and looks like it should have some interesting wildlife too. I'm sorry you are having difficult patches, and sympathise very much.

Meanwhile in vervainville... catching up with Springwatch and dreaming of reserves and reedbeds. :wub: If I'm lucky I might get some birding in while on a course in Newcastle next month, but I'm not a patient type so it feels like ages to wait. Also now waiting for next year's rugby fixture list, my team made it to the semi-finals in the end and so nearly won, which was an amazing achievement after a dreadful start to the season, I was so proud of them for never giving up.

Today, a ghastly training session with a self-important speaker who had a very fixed view about what is Good Practice and Bad Practice, seemed to have no idea that there are conventions in our profession which aren't very compatible with that idea of Good Practice, belittled anyone who tried to raise this point, and over-ran by 30mn without considering this a problem. I appreciate that I'm not in the most tolerant and flexible mood myself at the moment, but it was such a waste of time in a week when I have so much stuff to do :evil:

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

Nice to see you around again, Dex - I hope you're well?!

That info about Marsden Rock was very interesting - it looks like an awesomely beautiful place. One thing struck me though - the fact that the remaining stack was demolished in the interest of public safety - can't we keep our hands off anything? And what's wrong with expecting people to exercise a little common sense, instead of wrapping them in cotton wool? In the words of a memorable literary character - Bah!

• Like 3
njosnavelin

House cleaning. None of my roommates take charge in this department. It is okay. I wouldn’t trust their cleaning abilities.

• Like 1

Today, a ghastly training session with a self-important speaker who had a very fixed view about what is Good Practice and Bad Practice, seemed to have no idea that there are conventions in our profession which aren't very compatible with that idea of Good Practice, belittled anyone who tried to raise this point, and over-ran by 30mn without considering this a problem. I appreciate that I'm not in the most tolerant and flexible mood myself at the moment, but it was such a waste of time in a week when I have so much stuff to do :evil:

That's the worst (and is a special pet peeve of mine) especially when you have so much else to do. (Seems to be the only time those kind of situations crop up too!)

Plus another awful meeting today. It's obviously the season. It takes me ages to calm down afterwards though as for some reason I feel responsible for stuff that is entirely out of my control. I have no idea why I do this.

But I was thinking about stuff this week and realised : I am making a friend !! :o

There is a kind, gentle, intellectual, motivated guy about my age in the evening class I go to to learn a new language. We've been in the same class for nearly two years, and decided to take an exam this year to certify what we've learnt, so in preparation for the exam we started meeting up outside the class to practice. We sit in a cafe and talk about stuff, in the language. When we began, we were practicing for the oral exam, so we started with topics that were likely to come up : what do you like to read, what do you do at the weekend, why are you learning this language, what are your plans for the summer, and so on. But we have ended up talking about all sorts of other stuff, like life in this town, career plans, environmental policy... And we're still meeting and chatting even though the exam was a few weeks ago, and it's fun. He is an interesting person to talk to. He even likes to talk to me. Wow !

I am relaxed. I am enjoying talking to someone (this is very very unusual for me in non-written media). Without even realising, I have been starting to make a friend, in an organic, spontaneous, natural sort of way that I never imagined happening. It really feels quite magical.

:)

• Like 11
HomeBirdJen

I'm back from my time away in Scotland-where I got to fly a harris hawk!!! It was freaking AMAZING. It was flying to and from my hand within minutes-what an incredible experience!

Also, my beloved football (soccer) team, Preston North End, have been promoted! I know Dex is a football fan so I know he will understand my unbridled joy at this! Anyone else or am I being giddy all by myself?! (nothing new there then) ;)

@Jen - A PNE fan, eh! Jermaine Beckford put on perfect performances in the play off finals. That 60 yarder against Chesterfield? Magnificent! Congrats on that front. 8) Do you think you can do back-to-back promotions?
I'm a Spurs fan. I dread the end of the season. There's nothing to do or talk about. My weekends will now be empty and pointless until mid August. My conversations with my dad will be brief.

Thanks Dex :D we've just re-signed Beckford on a two year deal, really glad to have kept hold of him. I think back-to-back promotions is probably a bit too much to ask. Although we definitely need to be up there and challenging within the next 3-5 years I think. Personally I feel the Championship is the right league for us if that makes any sense, of course the cash windfall of the Premier League would do us no end of good though!

I was so BORED last Saturday with no football. If you ever want to talk about footy I'm only a PM away :) I've always been fond of Spurs!

• Like 2
njosnavelin

On my way home a mother and her small kids were in my way to bike. I slowed to a stop waiting patiently for a resolution. The reason for the stoppage was one of the kids shoelaces were undone and trying to tie in the middle of the path. I assessed the situation. The mother was encouraging him in an authoritative "mother" manner. The little guy seemed to struggle under the pressure of her and me looming on my bike. I spoke up, "You know how to do the better bow?" He shook his head. I unmounted from my bike, "I use the better bow and my shoelaces stay on all day. It is easy. Let me show you." This defused a moment of anxiety to a teaching moment.

• Like 6

Thanks verv. :wub:

It is a gorgeous bit of coast line, very wild, rocky and unpredictable, much like the rest of the North Sea's coast, and there is an abundance of wildlife. I spotted my first seal not far from there and the sky larks can be heard all along the edge of that vast meadow that I mentioned.

I also wanted to apologise for not replying to your PM. I'm very sorry about that, and I appreciate the time you took to include the link. :cake:

SnowCone > congratulations ! what an amazing feeling to have your own house that you can decorate and furnish and live in just however you like. :wub: enjoy it to the full !

Dex > happy to see you back :) that's a beautiful bit of coastline and looks like it should have some interesting wildlife too. I'm sorry you are having difficult patches, and sympathise very much.

Meanwhile in vervainville... catching up with Springwatch and dreaming of reserves and reedbeds. :wub: If I'm lucky I might get some birding in while on a course in Newcastle next month, but I'm not a patient type so it feels like ages to wait. Also now waiting for next year's rugby fixture list, my team made it to the semi-finals in the end and so nearly won, which was an amazing achievement after a dreadful start to the season, I was so proud of them for never giving up.

Thanks A.S. I'm getting there. :wub:

Unfortunately we Brits are very health and safety conscious. Too h&s conscious! There was a lot of controversy over knocking the rest of it down. Our country likes to take away the common sense from those who are sensible enough to exercise it, while allowing those who are too stupid and who need constant supervision, to simply indulge in anything that they feel stupid enough to do. The result is a nanny state for the ridiculous, and a society that ontinues to slip backwards.

WOW, Dex! A little heavy for an 11:00 am post.

Nice to see you around again, Dex - I hope you're well?!

That info about Marsden Rock was very interesting - it looks like an awesomely beautiful place. One thing struck me though - the fact that the remaining stack was demolished in the interest of public safety - can't we keep our hands off anything? And what's wrong with expecting people to exercise a little common sense, instead of wrapping them in cotton wool? In the words of a memorable literary character - Bah!

Thanks Dex :D we've just re-signed Beckford on a two year deal, really glad to have kept hold of him. I think back-to-back promotions is probably a bit too much to ask. Although we definitely need to be up there and challenging within the next 3-5 years I think. Personally I feel the Championship is the right league for us if that makes any sense, of course the cash windfall of the Premier League would do us no end of good though!

I was so BORED last Saturday with no football. If you ever want to talk about footy I'm only a PM away :) I've always been fond of Spurs!

I always liked Beckford. I think he was pushed a little too far a little too quickly, which is a problem with our younger English players these days. I was just about to say that you could do a Portsmouth or a Wigan, but they might not be the best examples of coming through the leagues and getting to the Prem. ^_^ So a Bournemouth then. :)

It always sucked as a kid, the summer time, when there was no football. It was the obvious time to play it. Sunny, warm, dry..................Summer? :P But yeah, it does get boring, and I get sick of listening to and the reading of the crackers transfer talk, so you may just get a cold-turkey PM from my football-grieving-self.

All you guys, you take care of yourselves. You are wonderful people. And don't ever forget it. :cake:

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

Dex

"Unfortunately we Brits are very health and safety conscious. Too h&s conscious! There was a lot of controversy over knocking the rest of it down. Our country likes to take away the common sense from those who are sensible enough to exercise it, while allowing those who are too stupid and who need constant supervision, to simply indulge in anything that they feel stupid enough to do. The result is a nanny state for the ridiculous, and a society that ontinues to slip backwards.

WOW, Dex! A little heavy for an 11:00 am post."

Not only your country, Dex. I think it's a result of increased litigation - Australia is becoming more and more litigious, and I'm guessing it's much the same in Britain ;) :ph34r: RIP common sense and self-reliance :(

• Like 2
catsaregood

Hi all! *waves wildly* It's been ages, I've so missed you all! Been stoopidly busy with work and life, and just not quite keeping on top of it all. Poor Sunrise hasn't see much of me lately...sorry mums!

Well, I've been very lazy and not read back... :blush: welcome to the new people, it's great to have you here! Wow SnowCone, that's great news about your new place - big congratulations! :cake: I'm like Dex, still at home with the folks -well, folk :D

And SkyAdmiral - you've had a promotion? That's fantastic news! :cake: :cake:

@ Dex - I can't believe you posted a pic of your brother's backside! :o He'd be horrified!...Phew, at least he's wearing shorts :P :D

@ verve - that sounds awesome, and the best way for a good friendship to grow. I hope things keep going well on that front! :cake:

• Like 2
Crims0nW0lfe

Hello all, I hope I'm not intruding on the conversation. I need to start somewhere for conversation, and thought perhaps in my own age bracket might be a good place to start.

• Like 3

*waves to cats* it's lovely to see you back :) will keep you updated ! ;)

*waves to Crims0nW0lfe* welcome to this warm and frivolous thread :cake:

@ njosnavelin > what a gentle, constructive way to defuse :)

@ Dex > a pleasure ;) now daydreaming about coastal meadows with skylarks :wub: Just over a month to next birding trip now, can't wait !

And here's another amazing thing: today's training session was actually useful :o

Though with some distance, I can see that the ghastly meetings are also teaching me a lot of stuff about the way that I and other people function. One of the things that I am in the process of realising is that I have very fragile memory for emotions, so the most recent thing that has happened leaves a really strong mark which obliterates almost everything that went before. So I could have a very positive day with a difficult ending and all I would really recall is feeling bad about the difficult part -- I wouldn't put it into context. This may be one reason why I am so afraid of angering people -- if a friend gets cross with me I think it means that person won't want to be friends with me any more, because I have forgotten all the mutual good things about the friendship (and can't imagine that the other person would remember them either). I can write events down, but it is hard to capture feelings to relive them.

A friend said to me today (about me, not people in general) : "when you are afraid, you stop understanding the world". It's true. The only thing that feels real is the fear, and ideas consistent with the fear. I cannot credit anything else, there is no room in my head for anything rational or external. And I have been afraid for several weeks now. My friends must have amazing sticking power, if I were in their place I'm sure I'd be long gone.

Happily language-guy is a well-adjusted sort, perhaps a bit of that'll rub off ?

• Like 3
catsaregood

Welcome cake for Crims0nW0lfe :cake::cake::cake:

@ verve - I find that too, that I tend to get stuck in the recent emotions, but I think often it's because they tie in with old stuff, so they are re-emotions, as it were. Does that make sense? It can be hard for people who are deep feelers, because I don't think the feelings ever really go away, they just fade then flare up again. Well, that's how it seems to me... :)

• Like 2
Crims0nW0lfe

So much cake .. I'm gonna get fat(er) .. or fluffier ... neither of which I really want actually. LOL

Thank you for the warm welcome!

• Like 3