For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

@ Sunrise - you're welcome! :P :D

@ Spo-tastic :D - your wife's blog was great! I really enjoyed reading it, and I can't wait till yours is up too! (No pressure, though! It'll be up when it's ready :) )

@ Father DexMas - firstly, I love your Christmas name. I love the wordplay you and Mys Tery bring to your names :) Secondly, I found photos of you somewhere on here, maybe the 2014 photo thread? You look ridiculously young, and we may have to ban you from this thread for appearing to belong to the 20s thread! :D Thirdly, gush away! :) Mums can be awesome! And I'm so glad mine's had all you lovely people to chat to while she works out all this asexually-stuff-thing-wotsit! Imagine having a great aged hunk of an offspring like me, and only working things out now? Bit difficult, what? :D Anyway, she survived her first meet-up, and I think had a good time, so she's doin' good!

HA HA, yeah, but I'm actually thir....ty...si.....ah, I've done that joke already.

You must have spied my mugshot on the AVENite photo thread as I tend not to display myself too often. That's why I have my pass port at the ready whenever buying booze is on the agenda. I do have a picture of my naked torso on page 100andsomething (showing off my AVEN tattoo :blush:) but apart from that, I prefer to remain on the photoperiphery.
HO HO HO, Merrrry DexMas!
It's pretty awesome that your mum went on a meet-up. It takes a lot of guts, at least it did for me, but the community gave me some encouragement and off I went. My mum was quite involved at the start, though not in a members capacity and I did show her around the site and explained to her all about our wonderful piece of real-estate. She was even able to introduce the term to a couple of young uns, her friends son and his girlfriend, just this weekend and they felt enlightened on a subject they had never heard of.
So yeah, good old (not so old, sorry mum) mums! :wub:
My dad has been doing his usual pre-Christmas tidy up. He tends to stomp around a lot, shrugging shoulders, sighing and rolling his eyes in a child-like manner and it is the only time in the year that he decides to lift a finger. Granted, he has been in hospital for four months of the year and is still using a stick to get around, but his no-showing of the last 67 years more than makes up for my light hearted piss-taking. He seems to do all the pointless, unnecessary things, jobs like cleaning the lounge door and it's windows, or cleaning the odd lamp shade, where as the vacuuming, dusting, floor sweeping/cleaning, room tidying and dish-wash-doing would be a lot more helpful and constructive. It's quite amusing at times. Watching someone take forty five minutes to wipe clear a half dozen glass panels that are smaller than a piece of a A4 sized paper, with gasps, sighs and moans of exasperation as though he is climbing Everest on one leg with a ton weight on his back, is rather splendid. And little nephew could probably peel 10 potatoes faster than he could.
  • Like 4

Does anyone here divulge their age when asked?

I do -- but it takes me a minute to remember. ;-)

Occasionally I have to break out a calculator if I'm not firing on all cylinders. ;-)

That's awesome!

• Like 2
Autumn Sunrise

(Quote)

"My dad has been doing his usual pre-Christmas tidy up. He tends to stomp around a lot, shrugging shoulders, sighing and rolling his eyes in a child-like manner and it is the only time in the year that he decides to lift a finger. Granted, he has been in hospital for four months of the year and is still using a stick to get around, but his no-showing of the last 67 years more than makes up for my light hearted piss-taking. He seems to do all the pointless, unnecessary things, jobs like cleaning the lounge door and it's windows, or cleaning the odd lamp shade, where as the vacuuming, dusting, floor sweeping/cleaning, room tidying and dish-wash-doing would be a lot more helpful and constructive. It's quite amusing at times. Watching someone take forty five minutes to wipe clear a half dozen glass panels that are smaller than a piece of a A4 sized paper, with gasps, sighs and moans of exasperation as though he is climbing Everest on one leg with a ton weight on his back, is rather splendid. And little nephew could probably peel 10 potatoes faster than he could. "

Father Dexmas, I think this comes under the heading of "You have to laugh, or you'd cry" . . . but it must be very frustrating. I can understand "slow" - I have to admit I can't work as fast as I could when I was younger, but there also seems to be a lack of ability (or desire?) to prioritise :rolleyes: It's lucky that your sense of humour, judging from your description, is equal to the occasion :D (I DO love "rather splendid"!)

I hope when the day arrives that you have a great Christmas :wub:

PS Your mum sounds like a great lady :)

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to those that like it!

Enjoy the time off if you get it!.

I will think of all of you today at some point.

Again, you guys are all awesome and I hope some people tell you that in person at one point in the next couple days.

• Like 5

@Autumn Sunrise- I think my old man is just a slow worker altogether. His pace never gets above almost-stopping and I once clocked him at a whopping forty five minutes just to fry two sausages, a rasher of bacon an egg and three mushrooms. He almost simmered them but on full heat, arranging the mushrooms in a clock-face like pattern, removing them (to freeze) in order to add the bacon then subsequently removing them to cook the sausies. And no, he wasn't using a thimble sized frying pan and we don't cook on matchstick power :lol: he's just a slow man. He most definitely is a "cry" man. :P

I love my mum dearly, she truly is a magnificent woman and I do wish that she had broken free of his grip a very long time ago.

I have had either:

A. The norovirus.

or

B. Food poisoning the last few days, so Christmas should be wonderful. :blink: But before I thoroughly depress you all, I would just like to wish you all a Happy.......

Enjoy whatever it is you do and with whoever it is your with. Take care all of you and be well. Later's AVEN.

:cake:

• Like 6

hope all of you have a good time doing whatever you'd like to do :)

• Like 6

@ Dex - that is NOT good. I hope you're feeling better soon :(

@Dex, iff and Ten - excellent sentiments! Sending *hugs* and happiness to you all. :wub: May we get through the next few days. See you all on the other side!

• Like 6

May we get through the next few days. See you all on the other side!

my puzzle book will help me :)

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

@ Dex - Oh dear, I hope you're wrong, and you feel well enough to enjoy Christmas day :)

@ Ten, Dex and iff - Between you all, I think you've managed to say everything that I feel, for today. I hope everyone here will find some happiness and peace in the holiday season. You are all in my thoughts and in my heart :wub:

*hugs*

• Like 4

Cooking. All the burners are a blazed and the oven cranked.

It is starting to look like Christmas for me.

IMG_0491.jpeg?_subject_uid=4355207&w=AAD

• Like 1

Just in case anybody wants to see how our brookies or lemon squares or fudge came out, they were all great! :D

Overall, it's been a pretty good Christmas so far. Just got back from the in-laws. We got some nice little soup bowls with holders that my mother-in-law made, a faerie door for my wife, and Dragon Age: Inquisition for me. :D They weren't even that annoying to deal with this year!

• Like 4

@ Tenebrae, iff, Dex, cats, autumn > can't say better. I'm thinking of everyone and hope there is peace, happiness and/or amusement to be found at some point in the proceedings.

@ Dex > I have vivid memories of norovirus, and sympathise. Hope you'll soon be recovered !!

@ Spotastic > wow, they look amazing ! and I'm glad things went ok this year.

I have a quiet hour this morning in between the cooking frenzy yesterday (my contribution : peeling stuff, spreading stuff, and making a cocktail with cranberry juice, orange juice and amaretto) and the family getting back from church in a short while. Outside, the goldfinches, greenfinches and a visiting blackcap are making short work of the seeds and birdcake. Inside there is tasteful music by Sibelius on the radio and so for the moment it is all very pleasant and peaceful.

• Like 5
King of the Jungle

Thanks iff. I have a thing to say though. I had trouble with my login and couldn't contact an admod so I had to make a new account. And it is me, Rio.

So I was on Facebook the other day reading and saw a profile. We have the same friends, same interests... I thought wow, this person seems pretty cool. He could be my twin. Then I went to the top and saw it was my profile. *Senior moment*

Hi King/Rio. Force yourself to get out now and then. Thankfully I have a super awesome roommate for that.

• Like 2

@crinkly :D Love it! That is too awesomely funny!

Hope everyone made it through ok the last couple of days! Only New Years to deal with now :/ :)

• Like 2

Hello my friends. I am now 33 and feeling a bit old. I don't know what to do anymore and things. Any advice?

Welcome! You don't know what to do anymore because you feel old? I'm sorry :( what kind of stuff did you do before?

I've had same problems. I get told a lot that my hobbies and interests are for kids. But I persevered and I kept my childish hobbies and I am quite happy.

I've learned to ignore that naysayers (it was hard) and I am happy.

See if you can change your hobbies to evolve with your age. That's always fun too. :D

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

I say, "childish" hobbies and interests can be pursued and enjoyed at any age - you just bring a different perspective to them. And yes, they can evolve. So go for it :) :P :D

• Like 4
bittersweet988

I am 26, but it seems I only get along with older people. At least they don't make fun of me for hating parties and all the silly things teenagers and people my age usually enjoy so much. I am such an old soul ^_^

• Like 3
Hello there, seems this is the right place for me. I’m 27 years old but am quite childish at times, which is not to say I can’t be serious when it is required. Now what do I mean by all this, well it’s a long story…

Due to random life events, my life from around 20 to 25 was practically nonexistent. Spent every single day locked up in my room with the curtains down, just wasting my time on the internet and watching anime/TV shows.

So now I feel like I’ve missed on life. My often goofy personality doesn’t really help matters. In fact I often am made fun of by my peers for being too impulsive, airheaded and carefree. I don’t really mind thought.

All this is making me very self-conscious about my age. I constantly question why anyone younger or older than me would want to even have a conversation with me. Yet I do get along with both, on those rare occasions.

Anyway, I’m getting too far off topic here.

So do I fit the requirements for becoming a part of this thread?

♥(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

• Like 3

King of the Jungle, it happens with many of us at some point or the other. The only suggestion is : start doing what you enjoy regardless of what others think of you.

• Like 1

At christmas, my cousin told me that I was "the only smart one of us." (for not having kids.) I thought, "Duh."

• Like 1

@ bittersweet988 and relinoch - welcome to the 30s thread! :) :cake::cake::cake:

@ eee - yes, indeed. Now just gotta get through New Year's....

@ hobby-enjoyers - *nods* you are right, we should enjoy what we like - other people are likely jealous!

• Like 2

I have no clue what I am doing on New Years. I invited people over, and at first everyone was ah yeaaa party at the new place.. but now I don't know if anyone is coming over.

Do I buy a ton of food just in case or do I just binge on the copious amounts of chocolate and screw the non RSVP'ers if they happen to show up?

Friends are silly and I would love to just do marathons or something.

Anyone else have vague plans for New Years?

• Like 1

Tenebrae I would just buy food that can be frozen or is non-perishable that way you cover all bases. I hope that they all turn up and you have a good time.

• Like 3

I have no clue what I am doing on New Years. I invited people over, and at first everyone was ah yeaaa party at the new place.. but now I don't know if anyone is coming over.

Do I buy a ton of food just in case or do I just binge on the copious amounts of chocolate and screw the non RSVP'ers if they happen to show up?

Friends are silly and I would love to just do marathons or something.

Anyone else have vague plans for New Years?

I would love to finish my last marathon before nye but I am working and it's too bitter cold out there. No vague plan this year, got my ticket to a kick ass industrial party!

• Like 2