• Announcements

    • Kelly

      New Team members Needed--Moderator, Project Team, and Declass Team: Voting   12/10/13

      See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164659-new-declass-team-member-needed-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164657-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-world-watch-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164656-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Kelly

      AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

      The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

      Ace Community Census   11/06/17

      It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

      Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

      AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
test account

For 30-somethings and those around that age

Recommended Posts

DebtheDemi

It's natural for people to want their tastes to be validated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
borkfork

I never understood people trying to show off pictures of their significant other or trying to convince me a certain actor is hot. Would it really impact your day to learn I don't care about... Ryan... Reynolds? Some people have different tastes anyway. Some like tall and skinny and some like short and round, and some don't care either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Octo Claus

I cannot bring myself to refer to people as “hot” no matter how good looking they are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
festiff
4 hours ago, DebtheDemi said:

It's natural for people to want their tastes to be validated.

not with looks but for me, i do like when people like the same music, books or film or tv programme as i do.

 

although if someone asks me for a recommendation, i tend start to worry that they may not like what i recommended

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Octo Claus

The director I "sort of" called a  sexist shit keeps going of his way to say hello to me...:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sleighcaptain

I don't think I've referred to someone as "hot" in an attraction sense in my life 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LVG

I always just said hot if I thought I guy was really attractive. Nowadays, I typically just say good looking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone
3 minutes ago, LVG said:

I always just said hot if I thought I guy was really attractive. Nowadays, I typically just say good looking. 

I'm moving in the same direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nahteb15

Most of my friends have smallies and whilst I am (apparently) quite good at entertaining them for a few hours at a time I have 0 interest in having any of my own. Spent this weekend with my friends who have 3 girls under the age of 5, 2 dogs and a cat. Needed a day off after to recover and ended up spending the day with my sister-in-law and 4 and a half month old nephew. Last weekend I was at a school Christmas Fayre with my friend and his 2 kids (4&1) which led to some assumptions and quick explanations that I was simply auxiliary au pair for the day. Taste of a "normal" life expected of someone of my age and gender, happier being abnormal in that case...😆 as found it all exhausting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bluedragonwings
19 hours ago, borkfork said:

I never understood people trying to show off pictures of their significant other 

I remember some of my older friends came home during xmas season showing off wallet photos of their girlfriends. It was annoying. So when two of them brought them out at the same time, I picked the friend that would be most embarrassed and said "She's hotter". They both got mad at me for different reasons, but man did it cheer me up to do that.

 

15 hours ago, Octo Claus said:

I cannot bring myself to refer to people as “hot” no matter how good looking they are...

I certainly don't use that much anymore. Although I have always used "cute" as a descriptor for physical appearance I liked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaturnOOO

So the other day I told my friend (who is gay) that I knew I wasn't straight, that I'm attracted to women (she knew that,) but that I don't consider myself gay because I don't desire sex, romance, or any sort of partnership. She is convinced that I'm a lesbian who just hasn't come into her own yet and that I need to hang out with more lesbians. I told her I'd be happy to, but not to hook up :P I finally reassured her that if some beautiful woman came along one day and swept me off my feet I wouldn't resist. She seemed pacified by that :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grinchmer
On 6.12.2017 at 3:41 AM, bluedragonwings said:

I remember some of my older friends came home during xmas season showing off wallet photos of their girlfriends. It was annoying. So when two of them brought them out at the same time, I picked the friend that would be most embarrassed and said "She's hotter". They both got mad at me for different reasons, but man did it cheer me up to do that.

Brilliant stuff :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone

Given the early lesbian experiences I had, I would've probably figured it out a long time ago if it at all applied to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaturnOOO

Yeah, and it's not like I have any reason to be invested in not acknowledging my orientation... It's not like I'm in a heterosexual marriage with kids that would lead to all sorts of upheaval or anything. Plus I was questioning if I was gay since high school so it's definitely not this unfamiliar concept that never occurred to me. I told her she was obviously just part of the gay agenda and was trying to recruit me :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grinchmer

At this point I believe that all these worries about sex among peers is either cultural or I am just exceptionally good at ignoring it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone
4 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

Yeah, and it's not like I have any reason to be invested in not acknowledging my orientation... It's not like I'm in a heterosexual marriage with kids that would lead to all sorts of upheaval or anything. Plus I was questioning if I was gay since high school so it's definitely not this unfamiliar concept that never occurred to me. I told her she was obviously just part of the gay agenda and was trying to recruit me :P 

I wish more lesbians would try to recruit me. :(

 

3 hours ago, Grinchmer said:

At this point I believe that all these worries about sex among peers is either cultural or I am just exceptionally good at ignoring it.

Probably a mix of both. I think it depends on personalities too. You kind of need someone bold enough to ask outright to get other people to start, at least in group environments like my workplace. Or even families. My family is not inclined to ask personal questions. It took my brother probably the better part of a year to outright ask me if I'm asexual, and after I simply and unambiguously said "Yes I am" we just moved on. There was no follow up. It was great. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Octo Claus
9 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I wish more lesbians would try to recruit me. :(

 

Perhaps the "gay pirate dog" stuff is confusing them, they think you've already been recruited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Midland Tyke
9 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I wish more lesbians would try to recruit me. :(

 

 

Seriously? Or just as a change from being hit on by men?

 

11 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

It took my brother probably the better part of a year to outright ask me if I'm asexual, and after I simply and unambiguously said "Yes I am" we just moved on. There was no follow up. It was great.

No-one has ever asked me. And in those limited occasions where I've told people, the most frequent reply has been been something along the lines of "Oh, really?". Which is British for 'let's change the subject'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaturnOOO
4 hours ago, Grinchmer said:

At this point I believe that all these worries about sex among peers is either cultural or I am just exceptionally good at ignoring it.

It probably seems more common than it is when reading AVEN because here is where we'll share it on the occasions when it happens to come up?

 

1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

I wish more lesbians would try to recruit me. :(

I've been here undercover trying to recruit you for ages, but you're skillfully evasive. :twisted:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone
1 hour ago, Octo Claus said:

Perhaps the "gay pirate dog" stuff is confusing them, they think you've already been recruited. 

True! My shrine to gay pirates probably confuses people.

 

1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Seriously? Or just as a change from being hit on by men?

I don't get hit on by men nearly as often anymore. I think it comes down to Canadian politeness, for both unwanted advances and people asking if I'm gay.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone
5 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

I've been here undercover trying to recruit you for ages, but you're skillfully evasive. :twisted:

You know I'll do it for the gift registry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Octo Claus
6 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

True! My shrine to gay pirates probably confuses people.

 

You had me fooled for a little while!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaturnOOO
1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

You know I'll do it for the gift registry.

See? It's all a big joke to you isn't it? How dare you evade my agenda...

 

Edit : "joke" autocorrected twice to "hole" xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone

I'm also more than happy to fawn over beautiful women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grinchmer

I was sooo close to making a poor and inappropriate joke :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Octo Claus
Spoiler

7755d8bbdd1c5cf5d75a8b0fc58cac94--cute-b

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone
40 minutes ago, Grinchmer said:

I was sooo close to making a poor and inappropriate joke :D

Don't let me stop you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grinchmer

But I like you :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snao Cone

I will never take something you say about me as an insult because I know deep down inside you love and respect me as your third favourite Canadian, following SaturnOOO and Celine Dion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Midland Tyke
1 hour ago, Grinchmer said:

I was sooo close to making a poor and inappropriate joke :D

were you going to get into a hole lot of trouble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now