For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Elftober Country

I took French and German at school, I can't really communicate in either :( 

• Like 2

As a lifelong lover of languages, I'm ashamed to say that due to mental health BS I've not put as much time into learning more as I always thought I would. I speak French and English and have forgotten all my Italian (not that it was ever strong in the first place.) I'm trying to make up for lost time a bit now and am working on German and Norwegian just for fun. I regret not being able to do so earlier, but it does feel good to revisit things I used to love. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

My French is mostly limited to reading and only understanding half of it.

My French is mostly limited to reading menus, and understanding most of it

• Like 2
Elftober Country
1 minute ago, Midland Tyke said:

My French is mostly limited to reading menus, and understanding most of it

I only get as far as the labels on wine bottles...

2 hours ago, Snao Çoñé said:

My French is mostly limited to reading and only understanding half of it.

My French is 10% understanding and 90% guessing. The ten percent could be a little bit of exaggeration... Should be two to five.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mulan said:

My French is 10% understanding and 90% guessing. The ten percent could be a little bit of exaggeration... Should be two to five.

Guessing usually gets you pretty far, since there's a lot of overlap with English.

Just now, Snao Çoñé said:

Guessing usually gets you pretty far, since there's a lot of overlap with English.

So one day, a friend of mine was talking to her friends in French. And I deduced that they were talking about vacation with her mother. Alas, it was the sea they were talking about... In my defense, I got the holiday part right :)

• Like 3
bluedragonwings

All you hoooomins sound the same.

French doesn't even sound like a real language to me. I can hardly distinguish even the international words.

bluedragonwings

The secret to french is that you have to say it with a sneer.

• Like 4
On 9/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, Snao Çoñé said:

I slept on a friend's couch in London and she didn't even try to suffocate my with a pillow in my sleep.

Aww, where's the hospitality? :P

On 9/15/2017 at 3:14 PM, miau said:

Sounds like a lot of confusion. I have difficulties enough with the damn "ça va", which apparently could mean pretty much anything you want it to, depending on the expression, intonation, the alignment of the stars and the village you are from.

LOL! So true, that also makes it a fun word because it can be both a question and answer!

On 9/17/2017 at 10:56 AM, SaturnOOO said:

As a lifelong lover of languages, I'm ashamed to say that due to mental health BS I've not put as much time into learning more as I always thought I would. I speak French and English and have forgotten all my Italian (not that it was ever strong in the first place.) I'm trying to make up for lost time a bit now and am working on German and Norwegian just for fun. I regret not being able to do so earlier, but it does feel good to revisit things I used to love.

Agreed, it's nice when you get to do something you know you enjoyed. :) I'm kind of ashamed by how much French I've forgotten; I used to be able to write in it pretty decently. I especially need to refresh my memory of the rules for anything beyond the basics so that I don't feel like I'm creating messed-up sentences so that I can practice with the language more again. I've been trying to pick up Russian for something different, and I forgot how much fun it is to learn new things in a language! (Especially once you get past a new alphabet! x_x )

• Like 1

I wish I had learned more languages or kept up my Spanish. I can fake a language at a Karaoke probably, lol, but not in any conversation without a translator app.

• Like 2

I have no idea what this thread is about, so I'll just say, "ahoy"

I only speak English. More specifically, Australian.

• Like 1

Welcome, @doggalogga  :cake:

This thread is about whatever people in their 30s, or people in disguise as people in their 30s, feel like talking about.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

Welcome, @doggalogga  :cake:

This thread is about whatever people in their 30s, or people in disguise as people in their 30s, feel like talking about.

Or people who aren't even in disguise, but juts like hanging with people in their thirties.

4 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

Young or not, I don't think anyone wants to look like Steve Buscemi.

I had no idea who it was, of course

4 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

His disguise was that good? :P

I've never even heard of him.

Is he a poutine seller? ^_^

Good lord, Tyke, he's one of the most widely respected American actors in film and television. :o

6 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

Good lord, Tyke, he's one of the most widely respected American actors in film and television. :o

I suspect irony/sarcasm here. Dang, I'm going to have to google. Humppph